Defensive carry handguns.
Nathan
Site Admin

S&W 1076 score

Postby Nathan » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:19 pm

1076.jpg
1076.jpg (47.75 KiB) Viewed 457 times

http://www.gunbroker.com/Item/592856648

After several years of trying to score the right 1076 at the right price, I have finally succeeded! A 10mm with the size of a Commander and the reliability of a Third Generation Smith, it's almost certain to become my daily carry.

...any ideas on anybody who might have a quality OWB holster available on the shelf? I've recently ordered a custom Kramer for my 5906 but the forward frame width is thicker on the 1076 and I don't know if the Kramer will fit both. Some off the shelf holsters were made to fit both but I'm not sure about the Kramer.

Thanks,
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

jaredshs

Re: S&W 1076 score

Postby jaredshs » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:49 pm

now THAT'S what I am talking about---SWEET.

yankeejib

Postby yankeejib » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:40 pm

jaredshs wrote:now THAT'S what I am talking about---SWEET.

+1
Sincerely,
Professor Stu Padasol

Doing what others find difficult is talent.
Doing what others find impossible is genius,
Why be difficult when, with a little more effort, you can be entirely impossible.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:00 pm

Thanks guys. I've bought twenty guns in the last thirty days, and this one is the one I'm genuinely excited about. I think I'm more excited about this one than I was the Peacemaker. I was prepared to go up to $1,500 if I had to. I struggled for a bit trying to decide if I wanted to hold out for an actual FBI issued gun or not but ultimately decided against it primarily because the FBI issue guns were shot a lot and its not difficult to find civilian versions that were fired very little or not at all.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

LWP

Postby LWP » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:11 pm

Very visually appealing, it appears to be a single stack CC candidate. I looked up the specs, and I suppose 40 ounces plus cartridges, and probably 1.3" thick, is OK for Montana, but not for me in urban and suburban places. But I do like my S&W 3914 9mm for carry, I guess the baby brother of your 1076. I think you will like it a bunch.

P.S. Step away from the computer, and your dollars will stop disappearing.

PPS. I was lucky to find an Alessi F39 with matching 2 mag holder of the same vintage as my 3914, and in better than nice condition. I suspect 1076 holsters are rare.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:57 am

LWP wrote:Step away from the computer, and your dollars will stop disappearing.

...now you sound just like my wives. Image

I found that Alessi offers their CQC (best damn carry holster in existence today, in my opinion) for the S&W 4566. The slides and frames are the same except for the caliber and the location of the de-cocker and neither should affect fitment so I expect that it should fit the 1076 perfectly.
Nathan in Image

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:52 pm

I'm saddened to say that I will be utilizing the three day return window on this gun. Not only was the description exaggerated but the gun is essentially worn out and the pictures were photoshopped. The slide fits the frame so loosely that it clunks when you shake it back and forth. Image
Nathan in Image

hkguy

Postby hkguy » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:32 pm

im not doubting you but do your other gen 3 smiths rattle that much?
NRA Member and Certified NRA RSO
IDPA & USPSA Member
Michigan Gun Owner Member

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:39 pm

hkguy wrote:im not doubting you but do your other gen 3 smiths rattle that much?

I have five other third generation Smiths and they don't rattle at all.
Nathan in Image

hkguy

Postby hkguy » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:42 am

Nathan wrote:
hkguy wrote:im not doubting you but do your other gen 3 smiths rattle that much?

I have five other third generation Smiths and they don't rattle at all.

thats what i thought, sorry to hear about this. Seems like GB has been hit or miss quite a bit lately :|
NRA Member and Certified NRA RSO
IDPA & USPSA Member
Michigan Gun Owner Member

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:55 am

hkguy wrote:thats what i thought, sorry to hear about this. Seems like GB has been hit or miss quite a bit lately

Thanks. To be honest, I can't really complain overall. I've bought something like eighty five guns off Gun Broker over the years and this is the first one I've wanted to return. The seller is acting offended that I would accuse him of over-rating a gun (95% guns aren't worn out) but says he will honor his return policy. I'll update as appropriate.
Nathan in Image

Return to “Carry Guns”