Nathan
Site Admin

.41 Magnum love

Postby Nathan » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:14 am

31459-DEFAULT-l.jpg
31459-DEFAULT-l.jpg (90.91 KiB) Viewed 389 times

150480_L.jpg
150480_L.jpg (88.4 KiB) Viewed 389 times

I was asked by a friend if the .41 Magnum is so great, why did it never gain mass acceptance by gun owners comparable to the glory that it deserves. The more I thought about it, the more I realized that there just is no logical reason why it isn't the most popular revolver cartridge available, bar none. Sometimes .357 Magnum just isn't enough (bear country), and most times the .44 Magnum is too much (daily carry). The .41 Magnum can be loaded from a 200 grain semi-wadcutter @950 fps for punching paper through a 265 grain hard cast load @1350 fps giving it more versatility than any other load that comes to mind. So, why isn't it more popular?
I don't accept that it's just cost; cost factor would go away once embraced on a large enough scale. The question at hand is why was it never embraced by shooters large scale? Was it as simple as frame size for the initial offerings (S&W 57/58)?
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

MisterB

Re: 41 Magnum love

Postby MisterB » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:37 am

I would guess it is partly due to the 10mm round. 10mm and 41 Magnum are pretty close from a ballistic standpoint, but yet obviously with 10mm you can use it in a semi auto that holds 15+1 (or more, if an extended aftermarket mag is made), vs 6 in a revolver.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:40 am

MisterB wrote:I would guess it is partly due to the 10mm round.

...but the 10mm is not even close to gaining the acceptance and glory that it deserves, either. These are by far the two most grossly underappreciated calibers in existence.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

hkguy

Postby hkguy » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:59 am

not the greatest source but wikipedia offers a pretty plausible explanation

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.41_Remington_Magnum
NRA Member and Certified NRA RSO
IDPA & USPSA Member
Michigan Gun Owner Member

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:11 am

Wiki touches on it, but doesn't get nearly deep enough. I guess the better question is, why don't you own a .41 Magnum? Why don't I own a .41 Magnum?
I really have no answer.
Nathan in Image

yankeejib

Postby yankeejib » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:46 am

Nathan wrote: Why don't I own a .41 Magnum?
I really have no answer.

Because there's only 3 or 4 calibers you DON't have?
Sincerely,
Professor Stu Padasol

Doing what others find difficult is talent.
Doing what others find impossible is genius,
Why be difficult when, with a little more effort, you can be entirely impossible.

MisterB

Postby MisterB » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:07 pm

Nathan wrote:
MisterB wrote:I would guess it is partly due to the 10mm round.

...but the 10mm is not even close to gaining the acceptance and glory that it deserves, either. These are by far the two most grossly underappreciated calibers in existence.

Exactly. 10mm has stolen some sales from 41 Magnum, and 41 Magnum has stolen some from 10mm (although probably not quite as much as 10mm has stolen from it). 10mm has been growing in popularity, but I'm not so sure I could say the same about 41 Magnum. Just two years ago, Glock expanded its 10mm line with the G40 MOS long slide (which I own), and around that same time Sig released its first 10mm (the P220), which I own as well. I think 10mm is catching on. Will it ever be as popular as 9mm and 45? Never, but I'm fine with that.

hkguy

Postby hkguy » Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:03 pm

Nathan wrote:Wiki touches on it, but doesn't get nearly deep enough. I guess the better question is, why don't you own a .41 Magnum? Why don't I own a .41 Magnum?
I really have no answer.

in the realm of predominately reloader only calibers and really very nitch calibers i want a .357 Maximum more :mrgreen: The .41 mag would be the perfect bear revolver around my parts but ammo availability is pretty much non-existent in my parts too.

the industry as a whole has been pretty much mum on the caliber and i dont really see that changing unless Ruger or Smith makes a big push to bring the cailber back.
NRA Member and Certified NRA RSO
IDPA & USPSA Member
Michigan Gun Owner Member

Nathan
Site Admin

Re: .41 Magnum love

Postby Nathan » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:08 am

I think that I'm going to find a model #57 P&R and show the .41 Magnum some love. I'd love to find an SAA variant in .41 Magnum that isn't a Ruger.
Nathan in Image

samuelrp

Postby samuelrp » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:50 pm

Those S & W revolvers are works of art. Enough reason to acquire one.
Maintain the sport. Take a kid shooting.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:08 pm

samuelrp wrote:Those S & W revolvers are works of art. Enough reason to acquire one.

Indeed; whomever coined the phrase "they don't make 'em like they used to" must have been looking at a P&R S&W.
Nathan in Image

Return to “Carry Guns”