Sig Legion

Defensive carry handguns.
User avatar
Nathan
Site Admin
Posts: 2066
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:51 pm
Location: Billings, MT
Contact:

Sig Legion

Postby Nathan » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:52 pm

leg.jpg
leg.jpg (198.09 KiB) Viewed 581 times


I wasn't really in the market for a 9mm Legion, but after handling it and catching it on sale for just over $1,000 I couldn't walk away from it. Sig did a really good job on this gun in every aspect except for the tacti-cool marketing. I've often made fun of Sig for promoting (essentially) "You buy this gun and you'll be an elite operator!" but I will fully credit them for some very nice upgrades over the standard 229 line. The trigger is excellent in SA (although I'll replace it with a short reach trigger) and the gun overall is more refined than the 229R I purchased back around '08.

I don't really have any plans for it other than to shoot it and see how well I hit with it. The sub-zero weather tends to take the fun out of any serious shooting (unless practicing drive-bys from a heated cab! Image) so it will likely be Spring before I'm able to test it fully.


Now I gotta go get the Legion logo design tattoo'd on my neck so that everybody at the range knows I'm a badass before firing a single shot. Image Image
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.
Image

MisterB
Posts: 437
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:54 pm

Re: Sig Legion

Postby MisterB » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:13 pm

Nice gun. It comes standard with a ton of features that you got for an excellent price. I think it will be one of your most accurate shooters. You're right about the marketing, and that's the only real downfall to owning the gun, but eventually that will fade, and you'll just be left with a really nice gun

User avatar
Hand and Steel
Posts: 753
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:44 am
Location: In the world but not of it

Re: Sig Legion

Postby Hand and Steel » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:44 pm

Nice find. The short reach trigger is quite a nice addition, I don't know why it isn't standard.
"Our great war is a spiritual war, our great depression is our lives."

MisterB
Posts: 437
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:54 pm

Re: Sig Legion

Postby MisterB » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:00 pm

Hand and Steel wrote:Nice find. The short reach trigger is quite a nice addition, I don't know why it isn't standard.

Are you talking about short reach trigger, or short reset trigger?

User avatar
Nathan
Site Admin
Posts: 2066
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:51 pm
Location: Billings, MT
Contact:

Re: Sig Legion

Postby Nathan » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:26 am

MisterB wrote:Nice gun. It comes standard with a ton of features that you got for an excellent price. I think it will be one of your most accurate shooters. You're right about the marketing, and that's the only real downfall to owning the gun, but eventually that will fade, and you'll just be left with a really nice gun

In the meantime, when you talk with me you should end every conversation with "Roger, out" because I'm an operator, now. Image
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.
Image

User avatar
Nathan
Site Admin
Posts: 2066
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:51 pm
Location: Billings, MT
Contact:

Re: Sig Legion

Postby Nathan » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:28 am

Hand and Steel wrote:Nice find. The short reach trigger is quite a nice addition, I don't know why it isn't standard.

I agree completely! I had the Short Reach Trigger and Short Reset Trigger installed on my original 229R by the Sig Custom Shop and it made the difference in keeping or selling the gun. Used together, it provides the finest DA trigger (particularly in SA mode, but DA too) I've ever fired in an automatic. This Legion comes with the Short Reset Trigger as standard, but the Short Reach Trigger is a much better fit for my hands than the thick trigger so that's the only modification I can foresee. Overall it's a great package.



Roger, out. Image
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.
Image

User avatar
Hand and Steel
Posts: 753
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:44 am
Location: In the world but not of it

Re: Sig Legion

Postby Hand and Steel » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:19 pm

MisterB wrote:Are you talking about short reach trigger, or short reset trigger?


I was specifically talking about the short reach trigger (funny that something like that became standard on the 1911A1 in the 20s), but the short reset trigger would make sense as a standard feature as well. If you're going to go to the trouble of making a pistol capable of having a reset that short, why not make them ALL that way from the factory.

Roger, Roger. What's your vector, Victor? :P
"Our great war is a spiritual war, our great depression is our lives."

11bravo
Posts: 103
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:12 pm

Re: Sig Legion

Postby 11bravo » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:58 pm

Be sure to blast this song when you arrive at the range now Nate

MisterB
Posts: 437
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:54 pm

Re: Sig Legion

Postby MisterB » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:11 pm

Hand and Steel wrote:
MisterB wrote:Are you talking about short reach trigger, or short reset trigger?


I was specifically talking about the short reach trigger (funny that something like that became standard on the 1911A1 in the 20s), but the short reset trigger would make sense as a standard feature as well. If you're going to go to the trouble of making a pistol capable of having a reset that short, why not make them ALL that way from the factory.

Roger, Roger. What's your vector, Victor? :P


I agree that all Sig's should come with short reset trigger. They really are a no brainer. Now, with the short reach vs standard reach trigger, it depends on the size and shape of the user's hand. Smaller hands tend to do better with short reach. Fat fingers really struggle with short reach. It tends to pinch when squeezing the trigger from what I hear. Guys with large hands with fingers that aren't fat, can care less if a gun has the short reach or standard reach trigger. Guys with long ass banana fingers need the standard reach typically. To further complicate matters, it depends on the grips your Sig has. If you have the rosewood grips, they are pretty thick, so a short reach trigger might be preferred

User avatar
Eric_in_FL
Posts: 85
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:41 pm

Re: Sig Legion

Postby Eric_in_FL » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:50 am

11bravo wrote:Be sure to blast this song when you arrive at the range now Nate



OK, I laughed my ass off, well done.


Return to “Carry Guns”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 2 guests