M&P 2.0

Defensive carry handguns.
Nathan
Site Admin

M&P 2.0

Postby Nathan » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:22 pm

reset.jpg
reset.jpg (44.29 KiB) Viewed 2677 times

It looks like the M&P has lost it's completely unnecessary beavertail, got some new texturing as well as a new "tactile" trigger.

...how many years have I been railing about the importance of a prominent trigger reset and firing from reset? I'm glad to see S&W finally figured out what I've been saying for the last decade. Since I own eight of them (and have argued about the only weakness being the trigger reset on this forum many times!) I'm hoping that this trigger can be dropped into the previous versions of the M&P.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms#/?series=163
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

Nathan
Site Admin

Re: M&P 2.0

Postby Nathan » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:59 pm

I headed out today all excited about buying an M&P 2.0 in .40 S&W. I've always said that a Glock with a decent grip angle would be the perfect carry gun for me. With all the noise coming out of S&W about the "tactile reset" on the new trigger, I had high hopes that they had put the Shield trigger (perfect trigger) in the standard M&P line.
I'm really pleased that they dropped the unnecessary over-sized dovetail. The new texture on the gun is absolutely perfect; I wish I could have that texture on all of my guns. I predict they will eventually tone down the texture after being rejected by women and men with soft woman hands (like Glock did with the original RTF texture); remember where you read the prediction first.
To my disappointment, S&W did absolutely nothing to address the failures of the original trigger. Not one damn thing. Not. One. Damn. Thing. I'm the biggest trigger snob you will ever meet. I will detect the smallest changes in most any trigger every time. I held both an original and a 2.0 side my side and there is absolutely no difference in the triggers. The "tactile reset" is no different from the original in feel, reset, over-travel or sound. It also gives the sensation of a false reset just like the original. The above video is the travel between the reset and the release. I left the store without buying it.
Now I'm all sad. Image
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

Ohio9

Postby Ohio9 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:03 pm

What does tactile reset mean?

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:08 pm

Ohio9 wrote:What does tactile reset mean?

That you can distinctly feel the reset like a Glock. This trigger still has the sensation of a false reset before it resets just like the original.
Nathan in Image

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:12 am

I ended up ordering one from Bud's ($469) with the hope that the trigger can be cleaned up. It wasn't worth the $599 they were asking locally, but certainly worth Bud's price. I paid with e-check to get the cash price so I'll update in a few weeks when it arrives.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/mob ... _fs?cpath=
Nathan in Image

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:54 pm

My M&P 2.0 .40 S&W arrived today from Bud's Gun Shop ($469 delivered). Since fondling a gun in the gun store doesn't tell you anything really about how it will perform, I immediately headed out to my rural property to run it through a few drills.

Before I go into too much, to prevent dismissal as a "hater" I'm posting a picture of my M&P collection that consists of:
    1 - AR10
    5 - AR15s
    3 - AR22s
    1 - .45 ACP
    3 - .40 S&W
    2 - 9mm
    1 - 357 Sig
    1 - .22LR
    1 - Shield .45
    4 - Shield 9mm
I think it's fair to say that I'm invested in the line and despite many new striker fired polymer guns available today, I went with another M&P, again.

I ran one hundred rounds of 180 grain WWB FMJ and twenty rounds of 180 grain Federal HST JHP through the new gun without incident, as expected. Grouping was no better or worse than the original M&P. The ergonomic grip angle provided instinctual point shooting enabling me to knock down plates at typical defensive handgun ranges without any conscious effort at all. Out to at least ten yards it was almost boring because I didn't even have to try.

The new texture is absolutely perfect and complimented the familiar grip angle; I really wish I could duplicate the texture on my other carry guns. I stand behind my belief that S&W will soften the texture eventually because women and feminine men with soft hands will find it uncomfortable. The texture alone will make this a carry gun for me once I can figure out how to clean up the awful trigger. I don't know how S&W could put so much thought into this design and then release it with a trigger that's just as crappy as the original. The trigger is a little better than on my original M&P .40 that I bought the first year it was released, but I don't care what anybody says to the contrary, it is the exact same trigger with the exact same flaws that exist in the later production original M&Ps. There's not one damn bit of difference. I think that S&W really missed an opportunity to finally give Glock some real competition. Had they put an identical trigger system in the 2.0 that they put in the Shield, they would have built the perfect striker fired polymer handgun.

Overall, here is how I rank the M&P 2.0:

Cost/Value - ImageImageImageImageImage
Ergonomics - ImageImageImageImage (second only to the HK VP9)
Texture - ImageImageImageImageImage
Reliability - ImageImageImageImageImage
Accuracy - ImageImageImageImage
Trigger - Image (I really wish there was a "WTF were you thinking?!?!?" emoticon)
Recoil - ImageImageImageImage (much better in 9mm, I'm sure)
Accessories - ImageImageImageImageImage (All accessories from the original M&P fits)
Concealability - ImageImageImage
Aesthetics - ImageImageImageImage (who really gives a shit about how "pretty" a defensive tool is?)
Durability - ImageImageImageImageImage (based on my experience with the original)
Recommend? - ImageImageImageImage
Nathan in Image

11bravo

Postby 11bravo » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:30 am

Not to derail your post Nate but how do you like the M&P 15 22? Im looking at both the AR and handgun M&P platforms in 22lr to use helping new shooters and for cheaper training for me.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:51 pm

11bravo wrote:Not to derail your post Nate but how do you like the M&P 15 22? Im looking at both the AR and handgun M&P platforms in 22lr to use helping new shooters and for cheaper training for me.

I think the M&P 22s are the best .22 auto-loaders available today. My most shot .22 is my Henry Silverboy, but when I take out an auto-loader the M&P 22 has replaced my 10/22. I also have the .22 pistol and it's equally great.
Nathan in Image

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:17 pm

While this video involves the Pro Core model, the complaint is the exact same as mine in regards to the trigger. I cannot understand why S&W would develop such a great gun and then put such a shit trigger in it.
Nathan in Image

flymaker

Postby flymaker » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:05 pm

I was out looking and thinking of adding another gun to my carry needs . I walked away buying nothing . I just cant get past Glock . I can work on them and order every piece and part I need from any of 3 web sights . I may wind up with a G23 here shortly and do my normal routine of changes . Stainless Guide rod , 6 lb trigger spring , fiber optic night sights and a full internal polish . Ive been wanting the XDS in the 4'' .40 but I think I'm just going to continue carrying Glocks . Buddy of mine is a big M&P Fan and while I like them myself and have shot his in IDPA I always return to what I know .

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:20 am

flymaker wrote:I just cant get past Glock

I get it; despite buying many others, I'm still carrying my Glock 22 every day. When the weather warms up I'll switch over to a Glock 23.
Nathan in Image

Return to “Carry Guns”