Condition 0 carry

Defensive carry handguns.
MisterB
Posts: 437
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:54 pm

Re: Condition 0 carry

Postby MisterB » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:07 pm

Nathan wrote:
MisterB wrote:The fact you're asking, says you must have some doubts with your method, and I think your subconscious is correct.

Not at all; I ask questions to create dialogue from which everybody (myself included) can learn from everybody else, often despite that I've already made up my mind. Dialogue is sort of a good thing on a message board. Image


...And there's your problem, and why there are so many flare ups. You already have your mind made up prior to bringing up a topic, and then refuse to be enlightened by new information, and instead stick to your original (often times) flawed idea. That right there is proof I need to stop wasting my time...

User avatar
Nathan
Site Admin
Posts: 2114
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:51 pm
Location: Billings, MT
Contact:

Re: Condition 0 carry

Postby Nathan » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:20 pm

MisterB wrote:...And there's your problem, and why there are so many flare ups. You already have your mind made up prior to bringing up a topic, and then refuse to be enlightened by new information, and instead stick to your original (often times) flawed idea. That right there is proof I need to stop wasting my time...

? My original post stated:

Nathan wrote:I've been carrying my 1911 condition 0. With the grip safety, it's mechanically no different from carrying an XD. Anybody else? I'd also be interested in hearing a rational argument against it. Setting aside all the hyper-safety-nazi stuff comparable to carrying unchambered for the illusion of safety, why use the thumb safety at all?


I stated that I'm interested in hearing a rational argument against it, but that in no way suggests that I'm trying to choose how I want to carry. I already know that there is no rational argument against it so if anybody thinks they have one, I'd love to discuss it. This isn't arguing or "flaring up"; this is simple discussion amongst grown men exchanging ideas (which is also the whole point in having the forum). You may have learned nothing or benefited nothing from this discussion, but I'm certain that some have. Perhaps some just learned the difference in the different modes of carry. I'm certain that someone will come along that carries a 1911 Condition #2 who will at least rethink doing that now because this discussion provided the opportunity to discuss the dangers involved. What you know or I know or anyone else can benefit none if we don't have discussions.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.
Image

User avatar
hkguy
Posts: 644
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:51 pm

Re: Condition 0 carry

Postby hkguy » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:03 pm

MisterB wrote:@HKguy
Oh, man. You just said carrying a Glock and a 1911 condition 0 are no different? Go look at a video of a Glock cut away model being cycled, and then do the same for a 1911. You'll see the difference. The Glock is hands down safer, and I'm a 1911 and a Glock guy, so I don't have a dog in the fight.

Your argument about Nathan's knowledge regarding 1911's just shows that he's more likely to carry a 1911 with a much shorter and lighter trigger pull than most.



what does the nuances between how the fire control work have to do with both methods being considered condition 0? you can substitute the glock with a S&W, Ruger, Taurus, Canick, Sig P320, Kahr, and on and on.

let me ask you this, is there a difference between a Sig DAK/ HK LEM trigger and glock with a round in the chamber and the slide in battery? Im not talking about the nuances between the individual fire control systems, rather the state they are carried in. Now extend that to the state a 1911 would be if carried in condition 0. what condition would my HK USPc V1 be in if it had a round in the chamber, hammer back and i do not engage the safety? how is that different than what nathan is considering? outside of your feelings, how is this any less safe from a practical standpoint if the four universal laws of handling firearms are followed?

now it might be a method you will not advocate for but does it make it an invalid method? No, its a very prevalent method just being used with a firearm not commonly associated with that method of carry.

now, to your needlessly risky method of lowering a hammer on a gun with a loaded chamber, that method is not acceptable in any of the competitions i shoot and not considered an acceptable practice in any of the training classes ive taken if done without the aid of a decocking lever.

does this mean you cant do it, of course you can and probably will continue to do so. My opinion is not going to sway your belief. Just know you are putting yourself at a greater risk for a negligent discharge.


nathan has stated countless times that he leaves the triggers on his guns as they are when they leave the factory, especially on his carry guns. i'm not sure with what information you based that conclusion on.
NRA Member and Certified NRA RSO
IDPA & USPSA Member
Michigan Gun Owner Member

User avatar
yankeejib
Posts: 359
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:43 pm
Location: Tampa, FL / Swain County, NC

Re: Condition 0 carry

Postby yankeejib » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:04 pm

Sincerely,
Professor Stu Padasol

Doing what others find difficult is talent.
Doing what others find impossible is genius,
Why be difficult when, with a little more effort, you can be entirely impossible.


Return to “Carry Guns”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests