The best 1911

Defensive carry handguns.
Ohio9

The best 1911

Postby Ohio9 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:41 pm

A common custom for me is to buy a new gun after I get my tax returns back. And seeing as it's about that time and I don't own any 1911s, I was thinking about getting one this year

So I'm wondering, what is the best 1911 that meets the following requirements?

- Costs less then 1200 dollars

- Has an ambidextrous safety

Nathan
Site Admin

Re: The best 1911

Postby Nathan » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:23 pm

Every man oughtta have a genuine Colt, and they're in your price range.

http://www.colt.com/Catalog/Pistols/Col ... ion-Pistol
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

Ohio9

Postby Ohio9 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:43 pm

Those are kind of large and bulky. I'd prefer something I could at least occasionally use as a carry gun.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:15 pm

Ohio9 wrote:Those are kind of large and bulky. I'd prefer something I could at least occasionally use as a carry gun.

Image ...all 1911s are going to be the exact same size. Now, there are variants that are a little smaller:

http://www.colt.com/Catalog/Pistols/Combat-Commander
My personal favorite is the Commander, full size frame but with a 4.25" barrel, and well within your price range. This is as short as I would go on traditional 1911 internals for reasonable reliability. They make 4" and 3.5" guns that utilize bull barrels but with the full size 1911 internals but they don't prove reliable enough to me to recommend for a primary carry gun. The geometry of the shorter barrel on same length slide stroke pitches the barrel at a much steeper angle leaving JMB himself to conclude that 4.25" was the shortest you could make it and remain reliable enough for combat (at least with the traditional bushing/barrel setup).

http://www.colt.com/Catalog/Pistols/Defender-Series
Then you have the Officer's which is a shortened frame and slide.

They also have variants that combine the Defender frame with the Commander slide.

The Springfield EMP is the most reliable small 1911ish gun I've found, but you won't touch one in your price range unless you can find a used one but even then it's 9mm or .40.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

Ohio9

Postby Ohio9 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:03 pm

Nathan wrote:Image
The Springfield EMP is the most reliable small 1911ish gun I've found, but you won't touch one in your price range unless you can find a used one but even then it's 9mm or .40.

This one seems the most appealing. And I don't mind it being 9mm. 9mm actually works out well for me. I try to get as many of my guns as possible in 9mm for the sake of having standardized ammo. If I recall, I have seen them in stores for over under 1,100, though I suppose taxes would push then over 1,200.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:55 pm

emp.jpg
emp.jpg (199.7 KiB) Viewed 736 times

My EMP is one of my favorites. I had some issues initially (mine was an early model) but Springfield installed a heavier firing pin and it hasn't acted up once since. I paid them an additional $200 to checker the front strap.
Nathan in Image

hkguy

Postby hkguy » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:05 pm

EMPs are hard to beat.

if you want a fantastic semi custom look at dan wessons or the springfield TRP.

I happen to have a DW Silverback and DW Valor for sale.
NRA Member and Certified NRA RSO
IDPA & USPSA Member
Michigan Gun Owner Member

Hand and Steel

Postby Hand and Steel » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:33 am

Nathan wrote:The geometry of the shorter barrel on same length slide stroke pitches the barrel at a much steeper angle leaving JMB himself to conclude that 4.25" was the shortest you could make it and remain reliable enough for combat (at least with the traditional bushing/barrel setup).

Did Browning design a shorter barreled version? Curious as to any info you can come up with on that subject.
"Our great war is a spiritual war, our great depression is our lives."

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:11 am

Hand and Steel wrote:Did Browning design a shorter barreled version? Curious as to any info you can come up with on that subject.

Yes; JMB himself worked on shorter versions and ultimately concluded that 4.25" is as short as his design can be reliable enough for combat. Many others tried and failed, with success only found by replacing the barrel bushing with a ramped bull barrel. I cannot cite sources right how as it's 06:00 and I'm laying on my couch underneath a blanket of German Shepherds. There's a lot out there though and I'll dig around for it later.
Nathan in Image

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:42 am

Nathan wrote:JMB himself worked on shorter versions and ultimately concluded that 4.25" is as short as his design can be reliable enough for combat.

Note for clarification, JMB did not invent the gun known today as the Commander. The 4.25" limit was a conclusion he reached earlier in development of the 1911. I'll search for reference later today as I distinctly remember reading this in one of the thirty books I have on the Browning legacy.
Nathan in Image

robalo23

Postby robalo23 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:10 pm

Replying to a old post. Ive played around with several variants of the sub 4.25" barrel guns. EVERY ONE of them had issues feeding some type of ammo. If you cant feed it anything available from Corbons to SWC's its not reliable in my opinion. close to your price range would be the Dan Wesson V-Bob. I think they are in the $1500 range but you might find one a bit cheaper on gunbroker. I cant think of anything better without stepping up to a Nighthawk

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:04 pm

robalo23 wrote:Ive played around with several variants of the sub 4.25" barrel guns. EVERY ONE of them had issues feeding some type of ammo.

Agreed. The only reliable shorter gun I've found is the EMP from Springfield, but that's because they actually shrink down the internal components to make it work. Mine was unreliable at first but after a trip to Springfield it's been 100% (they installed a heavier firing pin).
Nathan in Image

robalo23

Postby robalo23 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:10 pm

I'd own a EMP if they weren't so pricy. Outstanding design. They didn't try to make a short 1911, they shrunk it.

Return to “Carry Guns”