GB fraud?

Defensive carry handguns.
Nathan
Site Admin

GB fraud?

Postby Nathan » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:32 pm

I've been searching for "the right" S&W 645 for awhile and have recently found two (or one?) that I want to bid on. The trouble is that they look like they could be the same gun.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/619780580

and

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/620067901

The serial number is too blurry to read in the pictures, but some of the flaws are consistent while others appear to be missing.

901 shows an idiot scratch.

I cannot see the idiot scratch in 580.

That said, if you look closely at the grip on the 580, 4:00 position from the grip medallion there are two small white spots.

The also show up on the 901 gun.

What say you? Are these the same gun? Is it the same gun listed twice by mistake, or is there some probability of fraud?

Thanks,
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

Nathan
Site Admin

Re: GB fraud?

Postby Nathan » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:37 pm

I called the number on the tag and it appears that it was indeed the same gun listed twice by mistake and they are going to remove one of the auctions. I'm likely going to score this one.

Any ideas on effectively removing an idiot scratch on a stainless gun? I don't want to just hit it with a Scotchbrite pad and end up with an obvious buff spot that looks worse than the scratch.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

samuelrp

Postby samuelrp » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:46 pm

Since the scratch is absent in one photo, it could be a hair in the other.
Maintain the sport. Take a kid shooting.

LWP

Postby LWP » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:58 pm

What am I looking for? I see a line arc at the slide release on 901. Is this a scratch? Not good in a museum piece.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:42 pm

samuelrp wrote:Since the scratch is absent in one photo, it could be a hair in the other.

Nah; it's an idiot scratch. Perfect arc right along where the catch would be.
Nathan in Image

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:43 pm

LWP wrote:What am I looking for? I see a line arc at the slide release on 901. Is this a scratch? Not good in a museum piece.

Yes, the infamous "idiot scratch" caused from being reassembled by somebody who doesn't know what they're doing.
Nathan in Image

hkguy

Postby hkguy » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:51 pm

your probably going to have enjoy that character mark. you might be able to buff it out depending on how deep it it.
NRA Member and Certified NRA RSO
IDPA & USPSA Member
Michigan Gun Owner Member

Return to “Carry Guns”