I give up; Glock 19 for me.

Defensive carry handguns.
User avatar
Nathan
Site Admin
Posts: 2096
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:51 pm
Location: Billings, MT
Contact:

I give up; Glock 19 for me.

Postby Nathan » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:34 pm

OEMs continue in their effort to build a better mousetrap, but for my needs I can find no carry gun ≥ to the Glock 19 (/23/32). I've bought many guns hoping that I could love them as much, but after the new wears off I always go back to my tested and trusted compact Glocks. The latest round involved trying to find a .45 ACP that would serve me equally and while my purchases were great guns that I could easily make work, I don't want to have to make something work. I want to love it as soon as I carry it.
So, I surrender. I'll continue carrying my Glock 19 daily. I'm done spending money on guns and carry gear for the latest purchases just to end up going back to my Glocks in a month or less. I do shoot the HK VP9 a little better, but it just doesn't carry as well. Perhaps I'll give the VP9c a try when they are released but I won't be ordering any custom carry leather for it unless it can truly win me over big.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.
Image

User avatar
yankeejib
Posts: 345
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:43 pm
Location: Tampa, FL / Swain County, NC

Re: I give up; Glock 19 for me.

Postby yankeejib » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:27 pm

+1 I know my 23 better than my own penis, and my penis and I are tight, nome sayin?
Sincerely,
Professor Stu Padasol

Doing what others find difficult is talent.
Doing what others find impossible is genius,
Why be difficult when, with a little more effort, you can be entirely impossible.

User avatar
Eric_in_FL
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:41 pm

Re: I give up; Glock 19 for me.

Postby Eric_in_FL » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:12 am

Same for me and my G23. There's a lot of other guns I'd like to own, the Shield in .40 being next on my list, but every time I think "What else should I get for daily carry?", my next immediate thought is "hey dumbass, you got everything you need on your hip and you know it will never fail you, why change anything just for the sake of "new"?"

11bravo
Posts: 108
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:12 pm

Re: I give up; Glock 19 for me.

Postby 11bravo » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:33 am

Yup. 90% of the time you'll find a g23 on my hip as well. I have many carry guns and they all have a place in the rotation, but the g23 is my go to.

User avatar
Nathan
Site Admin
Posts: 2096
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:51 pm
Location: Billings, MT
Contact:

Re: I give up; Glock 19 for me.

Postby Nathan » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:03 am

yankeejib wrote:+1 I know my 23 better than my own penis, and my penis and I are tight, nome sayin?


Image
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.
Image

User avatar
Nathan
Site Admin
Posts: 2096
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:51 pm
Location: Billings, MT
Contact:

Re: I give up; Glock 19 for me.

Postby Nathan » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:03 am

Eric_in_FL wrote:every time I think "What else should I get for daily carry?", my next immediate thought is "hey dumbass, you got everything you need on your hip and you know it will never fail you

It took me a little longer, but I think that's where I have arrived as well.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.
Image

User avatar
Nathan
Site Admin
Posts: 2096
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:51 pm
Location: Billings, MT
Contact:

Re: I give up; Glock 19 for me.

Postby Nathan » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:08 am

11bravo wrote:I have many carry guns and they all have a place in the rotation, but the g23 is my go to.

I can remember a realization I had awhile back. I was having a discussion and said "If I'm ever forced to shoot to defend my life, I hope I brought my Glock that day"...and it hit me, I can bring my Glock that day and every day. I have so many guns that I love shooting. Despite my failing eye-sight, I'm still pretty surgical with my 1911s and I still shoot them better than most everything else (except perhaps the P7), but for personal defensive carry, there's just no better match for me than my Glock 19/23/32.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.
Image

User avatar
Ohio9
Posts: 1008
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:23 pm

Re: I give up; Glock 19 for me.

Postby Ohio9 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:17 pm

I prefer to go smaller: Springfield XD9 subcompact or XDS. If I carried a glock, it would probably be a 26 or 43.

While the 19 is sufficient for CCW (indeed, one would be hard pressed to find any gun that serves dual roles of open uniformed carry and CCW as well as the 19), I'd prefer to sacrifice a few rounds for the sake of comfort.

User avatar
yankeejib
Posts: 345
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:43 pm
Location: Tampa, FL / Swain County, NC

Re: I give up; Glock 19 for me.

Postby yankeejib » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:21 pm

Ohio9 wrote:I prefer to go smaller: Springfield XD9 subcompact or XDS. If I carried a glock, it would probably be a 26 or 43.

While the 19 is sufficient for CCW (indeed, one would be hard pressed to find any gun that serves dual roles of open uniformed carry and CCW as well as the 19), I'd prefer to sacrifice a few rounds for the sake of comfort.


I don't mind the 26 as long as it has the extended pinkie mag. I really detect no difference carry-wise between the 26 and the 23 but I prefer the 23 hand fit and natural aim points. Rounds just seem to go where I want them better. And now we can debate that awful S&W .40 cartridge.
Sincerely,
Professor Stu Padasol

Doing what others find difficult is talent.
Doing what others find impossible is genius,
Why be difficult when, with a little more effort, you can be entirely impossible.

User avatar
Nathan
Site Admin
Posts: 2096
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:51 pm
Location: Billings, MT
Contact:

Re: I give up; Glock 19 for me.

Postby Nathan » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:05 pm

yankeejib wrote:now we can debate that awful S&W .40 cartridge.

The .40 is an outstanding caliber, particularly when loaded heavy. The .40, born of the mighty 10mm, filled a very valid need back when the 9mm was determined to be inadequate by the FBI Ballistics Lab. That 9mm has finally evolved into adequate status in no way diminishes the validity of the .40 S&W as a viable defensive caliber. The 180 grain .40 S&W remains slightly superior to 147 grain 9mm. There is nothing "Short & Weak" about the .40 S&W unless you compare it directly to the 10mm and compared to the 10mm, most others are. The only valid criticism of the .40 is the snappy recoil but that can easily be countered by not being a pussy. Anyone criticizing the .40 S&W as the ".40 Short & Weak", considering today's knowledge, should be dismissed as promoting their own agenda over valid information.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.
Image

User avatar
Ohio9
Posts: 1008
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:23 pm

Re: I give up; Glock 19 for me.

Postby Ohio9 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:03 am

yankeejib wrote:I don't mind the 26 as long as it has the extended pinkie mag.


One of the extremely rare advantages of having small hands is that I don't need a mag extension for guns like the Glock 26. I only need them for the absolutely smallest guns, like a Kahr PM9

User avatar
yankeejib
Posts: 345
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:43 pm
Location: Tampa, FL / Swain County, NC

Re: I give up; Glock 19 for me.

Postby yankeejib » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:33 am

Nathan wrote:
yankeejib wrote:now we can debate that awful S&W .40 cartridge.

The .40 is an outstanding caliber, particularly when loaded heavy. The .40, born of the mighty 10mm, filled a very valid need back when the 9mm was determined to be inadequate by the FBI Ballistics Lab. That 9mm has finally evolved into adequate status in no way diminishes the validity of the .40 S&W as a viable defensive caliber. The 180 grain .40 S&W remains slightly superior to 147 grain 9mm. There is nothing "Short & Weak" about the .40 S&W unless you compare it directly to the 10mm and compared to the 10mm, most others are. The only valid criticism of the .40 is the snappy recoil but that can easily be countered by not being a pussy. Anyone criticizing the .40 S&W as the ".40 Short & Weak", considering today's knowledge, should be dismissed as promoting their own agenda over valid information.


Agreed. When I said "awful", I was being sarcastic. The best part about 180 gr .40 cartridges is I seem to have acquired a mountain of them. Winchester White Box, Winchester Rangers, Federal LE, Remington JHP, plus at least 2K FMJ's loose in the can for practice.
Sincerely,
Professor Stu Padasol

Doing what others find difficult is talent.
Doing what others find impossible is genius,
Why be difficult when, with a little more effort, you can be entirely impossible.

User avatar
Nathan
Site Admin
Posts: 2096
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:51 pm
Location: Billings, MT
Contact:

Re: I give up; Glock 19 for me.

Postby Nathan » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:07 pm

yankeejib wrote:Agreed. When I said "awful", I was being sarcastic.

I caught that; was just doing my part in dispelling the myth. Every time I hear that ".40 Short & Weak" I always ask "compared to what?". Most of today's off the shelf 10mm loads have been downloaded to barely above .40 anyway, and if you're shooting 10mm to potential, everything else (service calibers) is.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.
Image

11bravo
Posts: 108
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:12 pm

Re: I give up; Glock 19 for me.

Postby 11bravo » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:23 am

Nathan wrote:
11bravo wrote:I have many carry guns and they all have a place in the rotation, but the g23 is my go to.

I can remember a realization I had awhile back. I was having a discussion and said "If I'm ever forced to shoot to defend my life, I hope I brought my Glock that day"...and it hit me, I can bring my Glock that day and every day. I have so many guns that I love shooting. Despite my failing eye-sight, I'm still pretty surgical with my 1911s and I still shoot them better than most everything else (except perhaps the P7), but for personal defensive carry, there's just no better match for me than my Glock 19/23/32.


I agree to a point, but in situations when I absolutely don't want to give any indication I'm carrying, I opt for the shield, xds or g36. My 1911 rarely gets carried only because I don't have the time to train with it like I should. Then I have my 357 snubby for those quick runs to the store where I don't feel like putting an iwb holster on. Again though 90% of the time is the g23 you will find with me. Even when I'm in a situation where a smaller gun works better, I'll have my g23 in my bag and as soon as I'm out of the situation, (doc's office etc.) I swap the smaller gun for the g23.

This is what works for me and by no means is anyone else wrong in what they chose to carry.

User avatar
samuelrp
Posts: 498
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:01 am
Location: North Carolina

Re: I give up; Glock 19 for me.

Postby samuelrp » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:27 am

Odd how your brain works. When a threat of riots emerged last year, I switched from the Sheild to the G19. Edit for spelling, lol
Maintain the sport. Take a kid shooting.

User avatar
Tim
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:50 pm

Re: I give up; Glock 19 for me.

Postby Tim » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:36 pm

I recently purchased a new gen4 19 after years without a glock. Last one I had was a gen2 and I just never could get used to the larger grip, and it pointed too high. Handled many different newer brands and though they are nice, the gen4 just feels the best in my hand, feels more secure. Love the feel, size, and capacity, so I'm done as well!

User avatar
Tye
Posts: 111
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:15 am

Re: I give up; Glock 19 for me.

Postby Tye » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:58 pm

Glock meh.

To be fair have you tried the same holster, but made for your Glock alternative? I found on occasion a preference for a particlar arm based on my particular holster option I have for it.
Best regards,

Tye

User avatar
Nathan
Site Admin
Posts: 2096
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:51 pm
Location: Billings, MT
Contact:

Re: I give up; Glock 19 for me.

Postby Nathan » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:49 pm

Tye wrote:have you tried the same holster, but made for your Glock alternative?

Yes. I carry in either an Alessi CQC or CQC/S (same holster, but the loops snap). The issue isn't the holster. I just can find no truly equal gun in the sum of all aspects of carry. Some come closer than others, but the 19 just nails it. The 19 is the only gun I've ever found that is just as at home as a duty gun as it is as a concealed carry gun. The 229 is also able to do this, but the DA/SA trigger is a negative. The Glock Action is the best invention since the 1911 in my opinion, and is the most copied of all actions today yet nobody has truly matched it (although the XD-s and the M&P Shield both come pretty dang close). The Sig 320 is a decent rip off of the Glock Action and I may give that a try....I just don't see what it could offer me that the 19 doesn't. If anything I would be sacrificing a little reliability.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.
Image

User avatar
Nathan
Site Admin
Posts: 2096
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:51 pm
Location: Billings, MT
Contact:

Re: I give up; Glock 19 for me.

Postby Nathan » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:54 pm

Tim wrote:the gen4 just feels the best in my hand, feels more secure. Love the feel, size, and capacity, so I'm done as well!

The Gen 4 fits me very well, too. My favorite is the Gen 3 with the original RTF but they cancelled the original RTF because woman and men with soft woman hands found it painful. Image

Image
Original RTF texture.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.
Image

User avatar
yankeejib
Posts: 345
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:43 pm
Location: Tampa, FL / Swain County, NC

Re: I give up; Glock 19 for me.

Postby yankeejib » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:56 pm

Like any gun, you make a list of things you love and things you'd change. If any of the things you'd change are unchangeable, then it's a deal breaker.
Sincerely,
Professor Stu Padasol

Doing what others find difficult is talent.
Doing what others find impossible is genius,
Why be difficult when, with a little more effort, you can be entirely impossible.

User avatar
hkguy
Posts: 640
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:51 pm

Re: I give up; Glock 19 for me.

Postby hkguy » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:18 pm

yankeejib wrote:Like any gun, you make a list of things you love and things you'd change. If any of the things you'd change are unchangeable, then it's a deal breaker.


it amazes me the number of people that will buy a glock then stick $500-$1000 worth of "improvement" work into it. my VP9 is perfect right out of the box :D
NRA Member and Certified NRA RSO
IDPA & USPSA Member
Michigan Gun Owner Member

User avatar
Nathan
Site Admin
Posts: 2096
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:51 pm
Location: Billings, MT
Contact:

Re: I give up; Glock 19 for me.

Postby Nathan » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:47 pm

The VP9 is indeed pretty dang awesome, but a little big for my taste for concealed carry, and many owners are pimping them out, too. I even posted a thread about it last month. I'm excited to see the VP9c, coming soon.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.
Image

User avatar
Tim
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:50 pm

Re: I give up; Glock 19 for me.

Postby Tim » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:48 am

hkguy wrote:it amazes me the number of people that will buy a glock then stick $500-$1000 worth of "improvement" work into it. my VP9 is perfect right out of the box :D


I feel the 19 gen4 is perfect right out of the box as well (mine came stock with night sights). Can't figure out why anyone would want to change it unless they wanted to shoot slow fire bulls eye, which obviously this gun was not meant for.

User avatar
hkguy
Posts: 640
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:51 pm

Re: I give up; Glock 19 for me.

Postby hkguy » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:29 pm

Tim wrote:
hkguy wrote:it amazes me the number of people that will buy a glock then stick $500-$1000 worth of "improvement" work into it. my VP9 is perfect right out of the box :D


I feel the 19 gen4 is perfect right out of the box as well (mine came stock with night sights). Can't figure out why anyone would want to change it unless they wanted to shoot slow fire bulls eye, which obviously this gun was not meant for.



tell the tactical peacocks that have to have this done to their blaster (or what ever other wiz bang must have uber tactical blaster trend)

there is about $1500 attached to your beloved block 19 :D
Image
NRA Member and Certified NRA RSO
IDPA & USPSA Member
Michigan Gun Owner Member

User avatar
Nathan
Site Admin
Posts: 2096
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:51 pm
Location: Billings, MT
Contact:

Re: I give up; Glock 19 for me.

Postby Nathan » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:05 pm

hkguy wrote:there is about $1500 attached to your beloved block 19 :D

I agree that stuff is nuts.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=5337

This is why I left the HK Facebook group and the M&P group and the Sig group. That type of crap is showing up in the Glock group but just not as often. A Glock isn't a typical pimp-gun; a Glock is a combat gun and pimping it out for no conceivable tangible advantage seems silly.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.
Image


Return to “Carry Guns”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests