Weapons Mounted Lights

Defensive carry handguns.
jeffhughes

Weapons Mounted Lights

Postby jeffhughes » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:46 pm

Who's using a light on your carry gun? Which one?

Who carries a separate light for defensive use? Which one?

Hand and Steel

Re: Weapons Mounted Lights

Postby Hand and Steel » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:09 pm

No weapon mounted lights for me, but I do carry separate lights.

I wouldn't say they're for defensive use (though they could adapt to that role), but rather for general use - I carry a Streamlight ProTac 2AA as a primary light and a Streamlight Microstream as a backup. Admittedly I'm a Maglite guy, but I've become very fond of the Streamlights. Very versatile and great value. So far they seem very rugged.
"Our great war is a spiritual war, our great depression is our lives."

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:24 pm

I don't particularly care for a weapon mounted light. They don't holster well and you have to point your gun at anything you want to illuminate. I prefer a small hand held light.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

jeffhughes

Postby jeffhughes » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:04 am

I'm experimenting with and liking the X300 on my bed stand gun. It has a focused very bright center and then the beam pans out. You can light up a potential threat without pointing your muzzle at it. You can quickly blind the threat and shoot if need be.

I like the one handed manipulation. I also like being able to use a full combat grip. I think I'll get a holster for owb carry.

I doubt I'll quit carrying a hand held, but the weapon mounted light seems to be a good addition to the quiver.

yankeejib

Postby yankeejib » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:40 pm

jeffhughes wrote:I like the one handed manipulation. I also like being able to use a full combat grip..

I'm hunting for a picture but I can't find it. You hold the light in your left hand between your ring finger and pinky with your thumb on top of the light able to operate the button on the back. You still use your interlocking grip, but the light is basically a sixth digit on your left hand with the two handed thumb-over-thumb grip. Try it.
Sincerely,
Professor Stu Padasol

Doing what others find difficult is talent.
Doing what others find impossible is genius,
Why be difficult when, with a little more effort, you can be entirely impossible.

Eric_in_FL

Postby Eric_in_FL » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:41 am

My only mounted light is a Streamlight TRL-1 on my full-size G22 "house gun", and its kept on a mounted magnet of which I have a few mounted in any part of the house I chill/spend time in. Extremely easy operation with extended index finger to turn on, turn on temporarily, or instantly strobe/disorient an intruder.
I prefer a separate handheld light for obvious reasons, but in the case of a sudden bashing of my bedroom window or sliding glass door and adrenaline dump, I didn't want to have to grab and manipulate more items.
Coming out of my bedroom to clear living room and front and back doors puts me shooting off-handed as I enter and I wanted a 2 hand grip as I sweep and clear. This gave me a light to use as needed.

My son's bedroom is straight across the other side of living room from mine, and I want to light up a target before firing, the thought of him coming out of his room to see why dog is barking, etc.... no thanks.

jeffhughes

Postby jeffhughes » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:04 am

yankeejib wrote:
jeffhughes wrote:I like the one handed manipulation. I also like being able to use a full combat grip..

I'm hunting for a picture but I can't find it. You hold the light in your left hand between your ring finger and pinky with your thumb on top of the light able to operate the button on the back. You still use your interlocking grip, but the light is basically a sixth digit on your left hand with the two handed thumb-over-thumb grip. Try it.

I have had fairly extensive low light training. I am familiar with the technique. I've run in it plenty of drills, but am unsure about it under stress. I think I prefer the option of one handed manipulation.

jeffhughes

Postby jeffhughes » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:09 am

Eric_in_FL wrote:My only mounted light is a Streamlight TRL-1 on my full-size G22 "house gun", and its kept on a mounted magnet of which I have a few mounted in any part of the house I chill/spend time in. Extremely easy operation with extended index finger to turn on, turn on temporarily, or instantly strobe/disorient an intruder.
I prefer a separate handheld light for obvious reasons, but in the case of a sudden bashing of my bedroom window or sliding glass door and adrenaline dump, I didn't want to have to grab and manipulate more items.
Coming out of my bedroom to clear living room and front and back doors puts me shooting off-handed as I enter and I wanted a 2 hand grip as I sweep and clear. This gave me a light to use as needed.

My son's bedroom is straight across the other side of living room from mine, and I want to light up a target before firing, the thought of him coming out of his room to see why dog is barking, etc.... no thanks.

I'm of similar thought.

The x300 and the trl1 are very similar. I have friends that work for surefire so I went that direction.

I am a contractor and often work on restaurants after hours. Concealment is not a huge priority in those situations, so I'm thinking an owb holster will be fine.

Eric_in_FL

Postby Eric_in_FL » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:06 pm

jeffhughes wrote:The x300 and the trl1 are very similar. I have friends that work for surefire so I went that direction.

I remember checking that Surefire, but for me it was like $150 difference between the two, so the Streamlight was a no brainer. :P

jeffhughes

Postby jeffhughes » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:01 pm

Eric_in_FL wrote:
jeffhughes wrote:The x300 and the trl1 are very similar. I have friends that work for surefire so I went that direction.

I remember checking that Surefire, but for me it was like $150 difference between the two, so the Streamlight was a no brainer. :P

I totally understand. A hookup at Surefire has been a nice benefit of working as a CRO at major matches.

Return to “Carry Guns”