GOOD DA trigger!

Defensive carry handguns.
Nathan
Site Admin

GOOD DA trigger!

Postby Nathan » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:32 am

For the first time in my life I have found a truly good DAO trigger. I got to try out a new Kimber K6 and to my surprise, I found the trigger to be quite good. I'm the biggest trigger snob you'll ever meet, so it takes a lot for a trigger to impress me. Buying the ranch put a Hell of a dent in my retirement savings so I'm going to recover from that before I make anymore gun purchases, but this is definitely my next gun. My only concern is that it feels a little bit too big for pocket carry, but I won't know for sure until I buy one.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

Hand and Steel

Re: GOOD DA trigger!

Postby Hand and Steel » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:42 am

I've been eyeing those, too. Assuming the quality of the components is good enough to hold up to serious use, it appears Kimber has made the ideal compact revolver.
"Our great war is a spiritual war, our great depression is our lives."

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:13 pm

Hand and Steel wrote:I've been eyeing those, too.

Do you think it's too big to pocket carry? I really want one; I'm trying to resist and honor the agreement I made to myself to recover financially before buying anymore guns but that little Kimber really won me over and has my attention. I didn't think any snubbie could replace my J-Frame until now.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

11bravo

Postby 11bravo » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:03 pm

Nathan wrote:Image

Buying the ranch put a Hell of a dent in my retirement savings so I'm going to recover from that before I make anymore gun purchases, .

Bullshit, You will have one by the end of the week. You can't lie to us fucker.

samuelrp

Postby samuelrp » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:36 am

11bravo wrote:
Nathan wrote:Image

Buying the ranch put a Hell of a dent in my retirement savings so I'm going to recover from that before I make anymore gun purchases, .

Bullshit, You will have one by the end of the week. You can't lie to us fucker.

Just think of it as an investment Nathan. :lol: The look is a little modern, but not bad, and if it's better than a Smith I would like one too.
Maintain the sport. Take a kid shooting.

Hand and Steel

Postby Hand and Steel » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:43 pm

Nathan wrote:Do you think it's too big to pocket carry?

I think that in a Wrangler cowboy cut jeans pocket (like you, that's what I wear most days), with a pocket holster, it would qualify for a "yes" for me. Can't say whether it would work for you or not, but I suspect that it would be slightly too large for pocket carry if you are adding in another layer in the form of a pocket holster. Personally I haven't used pocket carry for anything other than a PPK years ago, and even that was a bit large for me.

Either way, even if you decided it didn't work for you, I'm sure that someone in your family would take a liking to it, so it would hardly be a bad purchase.
"Our great war is a spiritual war, our great depression is our lives."

mattinglyt

Postby mattinglyt » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:55 pm

If you do get one of these, I want to see a full work up on the quality and performance. I swore off kimber a long time ago because of shitty performance. Overall the gun looked good, but wouldn't function worth a shit, even after a couple trips to kimber for repair.

I swear by my SW 340PD, that little 357 will forever hold a place in my heart.

As far as your skinny jeans and pocket carry, that lies entirely on your comfort. I pocket carry and OWB carry my j-frame w/o any issues ever.
Ted
Dysfunctional Veteran
US Army 63B20 H8

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:07 am

mattinglyt wrote:I swore off kimber a long time ago because of shitty performance.

You and me both. I've purchased three Kimber 1911s and all three were sent back to Kimber for repairs and even still never functioned properly (at least, two of them...on the third I got my money back from the dealer and don't know whatever came of it). I documented all this on the old forum that I'll eventually have back online in an archive once I move back to my local server.
Still, this revolver certainly has my attention; it felt great. I'll see how it reviews over time since I'm not purchasing until my savings are back in my comfort zone.
Nathan in Image

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:14 am

Hand and Steel wrote:I think that in a Wrangler cowboy cut jeans pocket (like you, that's what I wear most days), with a pocket holster, it would qualify for a "yes" for me.

More often than not I'm wearing the new Wrangler 47s that have larger pockets. I can't really manage even a J-Frame in the nut-huggers, but the 47s seem to facilitate better.
Nathan in Image

Ohio9

Postby Ohio9 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:24 pm

Interesting. I've been looking for a revolver with a good trigger for a long time. Must be a rare model though. I've never seen this revolver in any gun store.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:05 pm

Here ya go; I'm so tempted, but I cannot do it yet.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/674156323
Nathan in Image

Ohio9

Postby Ohio9 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:59 am

700 dollars. Figures Kimber still can't figure out how to make a reasonably priced gun.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:57 am

That's the cheapest I've found; most are around $900. I think it's well worth it; my scandium J-Frame was nearly $1,200 and it's trigger is absolute shit in comparison.
Nathan in Image

Ohio9

Postby Ohio9 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:29 pm

Nathan wrote:That's the cheapest I've found; most are around $900. I think it's well worth it; my scandium J-Frame was nearly $1,200 and it's trigger is absolute shit in comparison.

I would never pay 1,200 dollars for a snub nosed revolver unless it could also do my laundry and wash my dishes for me. Generally as high as I will go is about 500-600, which was the price of my current two snubbies I own, a Ruger LCRx and a S&W 36.

Recently I tried some dry firing with an S&W 642. The trigger feels pretty good, but sadly that range didn't have one available for rent, so I couldn't determine it's actual firing performance.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:07 am

Ohio9 wrote:I would never pay 1,200 dollars for a snub nosed revolver unless it could also do my laundry and wash my dishes for me.

Not everybody will, but for me it was worth it. It has the Crimson Trace laser grip so that adds a couple hundred dollars in value. It's scandium frame so that's another increase in value. They've come down since then a bit, but I don't regret my purchase. It's been a perfect solution and a perfect match for me for those times when deep carry is needed. http://www.gunbroker.com/item/673174648

I've never found anything that truly can replace it for me and I don't think this K6 will either (it's grip is a little large making me wonder how pocketable it will prove to be), but the trigger is better than I ever imagined that a double action trigger could be. I'd love to see this complimented into a full size 4" .357.
Nathan in Image

Ohio9

Postby Ohio9 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:23 am

Nathan wrote: It's been a perfect solution and a perfect match for me for those times when deep carry is needed.

I've never found a deep carry situation that my Kahr PM9 can't solve. The PM9 has a better trigger then any revolver I've ever tried.

For me, snub nosed revolvers are kind of a novelty item. I like them and they frequently serve as my backup guns, and sometimes a primary, but always out of choice. I've never found a situation where carrying one was 100% necessary.

My biggest problem with them is that they are the only guns I've tried (other then shotguns) that flat out physically painful to shoot. Going to the range should be fun, not a sacrifice for the sake of proficiency.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:17 am

Ohio9 wrote:I've never found a deep carry situation that my Kahr PM9 can't solve.

I find it too large to effectively carry in the pocket. Pocket carry is the only place that the J-Frame shines, but in that application is shines very bright.

The PM9 has a better trigger then any revolver I've ever tried.

I find the Kahr trigger to be quite awful, but it is far superior to the J-Frame. It goes back to suck however when compared with the Kimber.

I've never found a situation where carrying one was 100% necessary.

For carry into places where carry is prohibited (due to company police, not law...I never encourage anyone to carry in spite of law!), I've found no better solution than pocket carry. Attending meetings where carry is prohibited by corporate rules, attending an amusement park with an anti-gun policy (but still legal), etc.

My biggest problem with them is that they are the only guns I've tried (other then shotguns) that flat out physically painful to shoot.

On that we certainly agree. My scandium frame J-Frame is just painful to shoot. It holds 5 but might as well be a single shot (unless there is an emergency). I carry (and thus practice with) 180 grain full potential .357 Magnum loads and if I shoot it 5 times, my hand will swell up. It's like a mule kick. Due to the weight and additional surface area of the grip on the Kimber, I bet it would tame that same load at least to the point that it's shootable.
Nathan in Image

Ohio9

Postby Ohio9 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:12 am

Nathan wrote:I find it too large to effectively carry in the pocket. Pocket carry is the only place that the J-Frame shines, but in that application is shines very bright.

I've found the Kahr PM9 to be a fine gun for pocket carry. I really can't imagine a pocket that can handle a snub nosed revolver, but not a Kahr. The PM9 is thinner then any revolver out there, and pretty similar in size.

Nathan wrote:On that we certainly agree. My scandium frame J-Frame is just painful to shoot. It holds 5 but might as well be a single shot (unless there is an emergency). I carry (and thus practice with) 180 grain full potential .357 Magnum loads and if I shoot it 5 times, my hand will swell up. It's like a mule kick. Due to the weight and additional surface area of the grip on the Kimber, I bet it would tame that same load at least to the point that it's shootable.

I also can't imagine using .357 rounds in a snub nosed revolver. I would still load it with .38 even if it was a .357. .38 ammo kicks bad enough from them. Ususally I can't handle more then 100 rounds in a range session. For my LCRx, just 50 rounds is sometimes enough to literally tear the skin off my thumb.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:09 pm

Ohio9 wrote:I've found the Kahr PM9 to be a fine gun for pocket carry. I really can't imagine a pocket that can handle a snub nosed revolver, but not a Kahr. The PM9 is thinner then any revolver out there, and pretty similar in size.

Certainly doable, but takes me longer to dig it out of my pocket. Compare the top of the slide to the bottom of the grip measurement and that's where it becomes an issue for pocket carry. It's not as bad in slacks but I only wear man-pants.

I also can't imagine using .357 rounds in a snub nosed revolver.

...you probably wear slacks, too? Image

I get it. I just carry everything to full potential. If I'm going to carry 9mm, I carry the hottest, heaviest load available for it that my gun will cycle reliably (and since it's a Glock, that means anything). The same goes for everything else. What I'm carrying is intended to possibly save my life thus I want every advantage available.
Nathan in Image

Ohio9

Postby Ohio9 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:05 pm

Nathan wrote:Certainly doable, but takes me longer to dig it out of my pocket. Compare the top of the slide to the bottom of the grip measurement and that's where it becomes an issue for pocket carry. It's not as bad in slacks but I only wear man-pants.

I find cargo pants are best for pocket carry. I can pocket carry my Springfield XDS in them, though that requires me to load it with a magazine that doesn't have a grip extension.

Nathan wrote: What I'm carrying is intended to possibly save my life thus I want every advantage available.

Understandable, but the power of the bullets isn't the only possible advantage to take into consideration. If the rounds are so painful to shoot that it limits your range time, that's a disadvantage. I'm happy to take a step down on the power scale (while still using adequate self defense ammo) in order to use rounds are less painful to shoot, thus enabling me to practice with them on the range more often.

With my S&W 36, I can shoot about 100 rounds on a range trip before the pain becomes unbearable. With my Ruger LCRx, it's about 50-60 rounds before it literally starts ripping the skin off my thumb. I imagine the pain tolerance limit for .357 rounds from a snub nosed revolver is considerably less.

hkguy

Postby hkguy » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:03 pm

my cabelas has 3 or 4 on the shelf. its comparable to an SP101 or a model 60 with a birds head grip. if i recall, its virtually the same size as a sp101 but with an extra round.

it could be pocket carried but i think its going to be a tad to big and heavy for most unless you have really large pockets and a solid belt.

i was impressed with the build quality and feel its priced appropriately, but the price range is not for everyone.

its up there on my list, some day ill own a Korth revolver.
NRA Member and Certified NRA RSO
IDPA & USPSA Member
Michigan Gun Owner Member

Return to “Carry Guns”