Skinny Guy CC recomendations

Defensive carry handguns.
Ryan21

Skinny Guy CC recomendations

Postby Ryan21 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:43 pm

Looking for suggestions on guns to try out. I am 5'11" and 120 lbs ( I know really skinny. Don't suggest I eat more..... it doesn't work)
I switch between tucked in dress shirts and medical scrubs. I prefer shooting .45 over 9mm. Tried the XDs but I don't shoot it that well. I would prefer no manual safety but haven't ruled it out. I love shooting 1911s I like the XDm and Glocks as well. Suggestions? and is there anyone near metro Detroit that might be willing to let me try a couple? Tired of paying for rentals.

samuelrp

Re: Skinny Guy CC recomendations

Postby samuelrp » Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:48 pm

You might look at the Smith and Wesson M & P Sheild. The new ones don't have the safety. They shoot well, conceal easily, and have a great trigger.
Maintain the sport. Take a kid shooting.

CharlieW

Postby CharlieW » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:51 am

+1 on the Shield. I like mine, and Nathan has a good review elsewhere on the forum. If you definitely want to stick with .45, there are also a lot of smaller (and lighter) 1911 variations on the market today.
Pragmatism -- the relentless pursuit of seeing things as they really are.

riadat

Postby riadat » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:49 pm

If you don't mind revolver, nothing beats a j-frame in a mika pocket holster, imo. It looks like something is there but it doesn't look like a gun.

There are probably some 9mm autos that are pocketable. Kahr CW9 wasn't bad when I shot it and I bet you could pocket carry that or it would be decent for iwb. I personally cannot stand iwb so everything is pocket or OWB. Sig p938 is similar to a .45 as it is single action and carried cocked and locked I believe.

Robert Mika can make a pocket holster for most any gun I imagine. I have like 4 different kinds from him.

robalo23

Postby robalo23 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:04 pm

1911s require constant practice to build muscle memory.thumbing the safety off HAS to be total instinct. This is less of a problem with da/striker fired guns. As with any carry gun practice is imperative. Having said that other than sub 4" barrel 1911s they are an excellent carry choice. See Nathan's post of the Dan Wesson VBOB. It's on my to do list!

Ryan21

Postby Ryan21 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:42 pm

is there a reliable sub 4" 1911 or 1911 style ( sig?) gun out there for under $750?

1813Anschutz

Postby 1813Anschutz » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:51 am

In that category, I have a Colt Officer's model that is 100%, another solution for me has been a Star Firestar .45..no longer made however. They are a great handgun and won't bankrupt you!!

Randy
"The more I shoot the luckier I seem to Get"

NRA Certified Instructor-Rifle, Pistol, Personal Protection Inside the Home, NRA CRO. competitor in SASS, IDPA, USPSA, NRA Smallbore rifle 3/4 p. NRA High Power Rifle Service Rifle, NRA Air Rifle

robalo23

Postby robalo23 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:31 am

I picked up my Colt Combat commander for $700. I put almost that much in custom parts to make it what I wanted. Ive seen several Springfield Champion Operator's for sale on gunbroker.com. Most are around the $800 range. Ive never owned one but fires several, Its a very nice gun to shoot. All the reviews have been positive so thats another to lok for.

Ryan21

Postby Ryan21 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:28 am

Thanks Guys. I will see if I can find those at local ranges to shoot. unfortunately my bill ends up being ~$120 every time I rent so it might take me a bit lol

1813Anschutz

Postby 1813Anschutz » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:59 am

In the Commander sized 1911, I frequently carry a S&W 1911 SC....my second most accurate ...tied dead even with my Dan Wesson...

Come to Montana and you can shoot anything I own NO CHARGE!!

Randy

NRA Certified Instructor-Rifle, Pistol, Personal Protection Inside the Home, NRA CRO. competitor in SASS, IDPA, USPSA, NRA Smallbore rifle 3/4 p. NRA High Power Rifle Service Rifle, NRA Air Rifle

Ryan21

Postby Ryan21 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:04 am

Ha I am not sure i can afford a trip to Montana right now but trust me I would love to be out there. Anyone in Michigan have the same offer?

Think I can conceal a commander 1911 with a tucked in dress shirt? I love shooting them and am dead on with it.

hkguy

Postby hkguy » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:47 am

Ryan21 wrote:is there a reliable sub 4" 1911 or 1911 style ( sig?) gun out there for under $750?

springfield EMP in 9mm or .40, but even used they are around $850
NRA Member and Certified NRA RSO
IDPA & USPSA Member
Michigan Gun Owner Member

1813Anschutz

Postby 1813Anschutz » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:48 am

I would suggest forgetting about the whole dress shirt tucked in concept.(the tuckable concept)..while many THINK it is a great idea..it simply doesn't work very well...invest in the highest quality IWB holster you can afford along with a sturdy belt and you are good to go. For many that would be a Milt Sparks, Kramer, Galco, Gould & Goodrich, DeSantis, Allessi, Mitch Rosen , etc.

On the belt ...if you can fold it in half vertically it is NOT sturdy enough.
I have purchased several of the Carharrt line of work belts and found that they were a fabulous buy and quite sturdy enough and then some.

I used to be a suit and tie sort of guy and never had a problem with a full sized 1911 let alone a commander/officer size.
Randy

hkguy

Postby hkguy » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:48 am

Ryan21 wrote:Ha I am not sure i can afford a trip to Montana right now but trust me I would love to be out there. Anyone in Michigan have the same offer?

Think I can conceal a commander 1911 with a tucked in dress shirt? I love shooting them and am dead on with it.

if your ever around grand rapids, your welcome to come and look over my collection, and shoot them too.
IDPA & USPSA Member

Ryan21

Postby Ryan21 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:24 am

Its more of I have to wear dress shirts without a jacket pretty often and would prefer to still have a viable carry option while doing so. Not particularly a tuckable holster but I have to wear dress shirts. And if I am ever near GR I will take you up on that. I am over by Metro Detroit but I tend to wander the state a bit.

neilbedwell

Postby neilbedwell » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:35 pm

I am far from skinny but, like you, I have to wear a button down shirt and dress pants every day - on rare occasions a sport jacket. I have basically given up on any other carry method besides carrying in my right front pocket in a Robert Mika holster. Right now, I'm carrying a Ruger LC9 but that may change soon. Over the years, I've had revolvers, autos, etc. Can't say I have ever found "the one" that I can say I'll carry forever but I'm rarely satisfied with anything anyway.

The whole "tuckable" concept is somebody's idea of a sick joke in my book. I've tried it. My friends have tried it. All of us are varying body types from skinny to fat. It never worked for any of us no matter the holster. I've toyed with the idea of a Crossbreed holster but not as a tuckable option. My cousin has one and loves it. He's a skinny kid and carries a full size 1911. Nobody would ever know if he didn't show them but he agrees there's no way he could tuck in a shirt.

I've toyed with the idea of a belly band (or even wearing something similar around my chest) but have never really seen anybody use them or read any reviews on the internet that are overwhelmingly favorable. If anybody has any suggestions or knows of anything new, I'm all ears.

Good lucK!

hkguy

Postby hkguy » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:28 pm

if your on your feet most of the time, appendix carry might be an option. tuckable holsters are viable, but you really have to blouse your shirt. some like using a MIC style holster and carry it at the appendix too.
IDPA & USPSA Member

1813Anschutz

Postby 1813Anschutz » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:13 pm

Although not on your roster as a carry gun....the whole suit and tie, dress shirt thing just works SO well with a pocket carry J frame S&W...I used a Model 36, Nathan chooses the Model 60 in .357 Mag...(handful of muscle there!!) No concerns with printing and your shirt...no one is going to be looking at your pants pocket.....just be sure to use a holster that breaks up the outline and you are good to go!!

Randy

jjinsc

Postby jjinsc » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:51 pm

My vote goes to the front pocket carry too. I too have to wear dress Pants and shirt. I wear pleated pants and pocket carry a Glock 26 and have never been made. Been doing it for years now. For a trial I stuck my wife's LCR in a pocket holster snd into my front pocket. Compared to the Glock it's like there is nothing there. I think I could get use to that, but still like my Glock too.

1813Anschutz

Postby 1813Anschutz » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:42 am

Which holster are you using for your G26? Believe it or not I am using an old Uncle Mike's IWB cordura nylon holster for pocket carry and it has worked very well for me in breaking up any outline and I can replace it for about $5.00!!

Randy

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:10 am

neilbedwell wrote:The whole "tuckable" concept is somebody's idea of a sick joke in my book. I've tried it. My friends have tried it. All of us are varying body types from skinny to fat. It never worked for any of us no matter the holster. I've toyed with the idea of a Crossbreed holster but not as a tuckable option. My cousin has one and loves it. He's a skinny kid and carries a full size 1911. Nobody would ever know if he didn't show them but he agrees there's no way he could tuck in a shirt.

1813Anschutz wrote:I would suggest forgetting about the whole dress shirt tucked in concept.(the tuckable concept)..while many THINK it is a great idea..it simply doesn't work very well
+1.

From CarryGuide.com:
"Another variation is the TIWB (Tuckable Inside Waist Band) which is an IWB holster with special attachment clips or loops that allow you to tuck your shirt in over the weapon and holster. If remaining concealed is a priority do not waste your money on any type of tuckable setup. I find that pulling the shirt tight around the weapon to tuck in causes printing (exposes the shape of a gun under your shirt) any time you aren't standing perfectly still. Also the draw from a tucked holster is cumbersome and slow."

Ryan21 wrote:Think I can conceal a commander 1911 with a tucked in dress shirt?
No; sorry. For deep carry when you simply cannot be outed, drop a J-Frame S&W .357 Magnum in your pocket in a decent pocket holster. That's the short answer that will save you a lot of aggravation and money. Or you can do like I did and invest years and thousands of dollars into finding a deep carry method and ultimately give up thus arriving at the same conclusion. I own shirt holsters. I own vest holsters. I own belly bands and fanny packs and Safepackers. I own IWB, tuckable IWB, OWB and more. Nothing is as effective, concealable or efficient as dropping a J-Frame (or comparable) .357 Magnum (or at least, .38 Special) in your front pocket. Much of the time I'm able to conceal my Glock 32 and I wear it every time that I can, but I always have a J-Frame in my front pocket no matter what. Based on your stated criteria, save yourself a lot of hassle and investigate this option first.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

samuelrp

Postby samuelrp » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:30 pm

No substitute for experience!
Maintain the sport. Take a kid shooting.

RagTop454

Postby RagTop454 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:51 am

I've spent 25 years Concealed Carrying and have acquired enough holsters to fill a 18 gallon Rubbermaid tote only to learn what Nathan and others have stated above. TIWB don't work! If you can wear a good belt with an untucked shirt or cover garment you can carry a full size pistol either IWB or OWB. Otherwise, pocket carry is the only viable option.

Glenn

jbarrett

Postby jbarrett » Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:27 pm

I pocket carry a Diamond Back 9mm. In a plain old uncle mikes own nylon holster. Aside from pocket wear due to active work. There's nothing wrong with it. Though I would opt for a pocket holster if I could find it...

jjinsc

Postby jjinsc » Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:09 pm

1813Anschutz wrote:Which holster are you using for your G26? Believe it or not I am using an old Uncle Mike's IWB cordura nylon holster for pocket carry and it has worked very well for me in breaking up any outline and I can replace it for about $5.00!!

Randy

I use two different holsters for pocket carry of the G26. A Galco horsehide and the other type I have two of. A size 4 blackhawk and a size 4 Passport. These last two are basically the same and cost between $10-15. These last two works along the same line as your nylon IWB with the addition of a tacky strip of material to help keep the holster in the pocket upon draw and giving you a better grip on the gun for the draw. The Galco has the two ridged hooks for catching the corners of your pocket upon draw.

Return to “Carry Guns”