Cheap Grease

Defensive carry handguns.
Hand and Steel

Cheap Grease

Postby Hand and Steel » Sun May 31, 2015 12:55 pm

Any of y'all ever used normal brand grease like Permatex or Travellers to lubricate slide rails, locking lugs, etc. on a carry gun, instead of the overpriced "tactical" lubricants? Anyone know if they are chemically really that different? Never had a problem with just using oil over the years, but I'm interested in switching to something that is more heat resistant.

Any input is appreciated.
"It is demonstrable that power structures tend to attract people who want power for the sake of power and that a significant proportion of such people are imbalanced — in a word, insane.” – Frank Herbert

"Welcome to Costco. I love you."

Nathan
Site Admin

Re: Cheap Grease

Postby Nathan » Sun May 31, 2015 1:28 pm

I never use grease because grease traps grit. I use Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil exclusively on all my guns. Try some sometime.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

Hand and Steel

Postby Hand and Steel » Sun May 31, 2015 2:10 pm

I've never used motor oil in such small amounts. How is the viscosity compared to typical gun oil? Does it tend to stay in place better?
"It is demonstrable that power structures tend to attract people who want power for the sake of power and that a significant proportion of such people are imbalanced — in a word, insane.” – Frank Herbert

yankeejib

Postby yankeejib » Sun May 31, 2015 6:41 pm

Get yourself a big Visine eyedrop bottle, pop off the tip, empty it, then fill it with your Mobil 1 and put the cap back on. Extremely easy to lay out the thinnest film on your slide rails. Liquid ball bearings and your slide will never be as hot a motor cylinder, and it works great. For internal parts (levers, pins, trigger parts etc.) I use Molybdenum. It's about $15 for a tiny little tube, but you use a such a scant amount. My tube is at least half full and 6 years old. It basically dries like paint and is very durable, high temp, developed for aircraft engines. The closest cheaper thing would be graphite, I guess, or some kind of "dry silicone" lube.
Sincerely,
Professor Stu Padasol

Hand and Steel

Postby Hand and Steel » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:06 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. These seem logical.

hkguy

Postby hkguy » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:58 pm

i use Quaker State 5w30 synthetic. got me two life time supplies for under $5. I got some little oiler bottles from brownells, there are a few "grease" products out there that get good reviews, but again its personal preference.
NRA Member and Certified NRA RSO
IDPA & USPSA Member
Michigan Gun Owner Member

LWP

Postby LWP » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:08 pm

I think bicycle ball bearing grease would perform well, but I've never used it.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:41 pm

A freshly hocked loogie will lubricate a gun. It isn't nearly as complicated as the marketing departments of gun specific lubrication companies would have you believe. Internal gun component mating surface tolerances are quite sloppy in comparison with the tolerances commonly found in an internal combustion engine.
Try the synthetic motor oil on your gun and you'll never go back.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

mattinglyt

Postby mattinglyt » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:23 am

While the oil Nathan describes works great, I find it is wicked away by clothing faster than grease and I've never had a problem using grease. Those "loose tolerances" won't get hurt by whatever grit is held by the grease, which won't be much by the time you clean your gun next.

Really, either way will work fine, it's all preference. Just about any grease out there will work, no need to spend the big bucks on the "tactical" crap. I use a surrenge for kids cough medicine and it works great.
Ted
Dysfunctional Veteran
US Army 63B20 H8

Tim

Postby Tim » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:55 pm

I use Super Lube synthetic grease with Teflon and it works great! Doesn't stink or run, with temp range from -45 to 450.

Return to “Carry Guns”