Police/Military use of Browning Hi Power

Defensive carry handguns.
Pickwick

Police/Military use of Browning Hi Power

Postby Pickwick » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:44 am

Does anyone know which police/military worldwide use the Browning Hi Power? All I can find on the net is Germany and maybe some Soviets.

jeffhughes

Re: Police/Military use of Browning Hi Power

Postby jeffhughes » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:02 am

Well the Brits did a high profile switch to G17s a year or so ago....

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:08 am

Every European nation has at one time or another utilized the BHP for both. Most have since switched to the Glock.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

Hand and Steel

Postby Hand and Steel » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:39 pm

Many, many militaries have issued the Hi-Power. They have traditionally been extremely popular with special operations units and virtually any organization which has allowed its members to choose their own sidearm.

As Jeff stated, the British used Hi-Powers until the recent switch to Glocks. Australia and Canada still use Hi-Powers I believe. Hi-Powers have been commonly issued to officers and elite units in several Middle Eastern nations. It seems that a genuine Browning Hi-Power has long been seen as a status symbol by many in the Middle East - Saddam Hussein famously had quite an extensive collection of them, and both he and Muammar Gaddafi were known to carry one regularly. There are still quite a few clones being used in the Middle East with counterfeit FN-Herstal markings, many of which are believed to have been produced by FEG. The FBI's hostage rescue team at one point used Hi-Powers. Hi-Powers have also been very popular in Latin America. Like in WWII, Hi-Powers were used on both sides by the British and the Argentineans during the Falklands War.

The Argentinean firm FM (not to be confused with FN) produced military contract copies which differ from the original Hi-Power in that they have a slab-sided slide reminiscent of the 1911, instead of the traditional style which is thinner near the muzzle - these are used by Argentinean military and police. The Indian firm Ishapore manufactured a close copy which is used by that country's military. Clones and Hi-Power inspired variants produced by Arcus in Bulgaria and FEG in Hungary have been popular in eastern Europe - the Arcus 98DA is currently issued to Bulgarian special forces.

Hi-Powers will probably remain popular as defense weapons well into the future for the simple fact that they are about as reliable as it gets, are inherently accurate, have superb ergonomics and are the "right" size for just about every application. Anyone knocking Hi-Powers as "outdated" is simply showing their ignorance.

Peace
"It is demonstrable that power structures tend to attract people who want power for the sake of power and that a significant proportion of such people are imbalanced — in a word, insane.” – Frank Herbert

"Welcome to Costco. I love you."

Pickwick

Postby Pickwick » Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:31 pm

Right on, Hand and Steel. Thanks for that info. I love my HP's. :)

hkguy

Postby hkguy » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:47 pm

we just got a bunch of Israeli CZ's, Highpowers, and sigs in the shop i work at. reasonably priced but well used. great guns, not a huge fan of the magazine disconnect and they give me hammer bit too :( ill probably never own one
NRA Member and Certified NRA RSO
IDPA & USPSA Member
Michigan Gun Owner Member

Pickwick

Postby Pickwick » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:50 am

I've never had the hammer bite problem with my HP's, but I know people who have. It is an individual thing, I guess based on hand size and shape. I'm not wild about the disconnect, but I have not removed mine. I don't like to mess with a factory pistol much. I did take the "lawyer lock" out of my Springfield 1911 micro-compact.

hkguy

Postby hkguy » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:50 pm

Pickwick wrote:I've never had the hammer bite problem with my HP's, but I know people who have. It is an individual thing, I guess based on hand size and shape. I'm not wild about the disconnect, but I have not removed mine. I don't like to mess with a factory pistol much. I did take the "lawyer lock" out of my Springfield 1911 micro-compact.

ive got big meaty man mitts :/ If i ever get a BHP, it will have to have a bearvertail welded on.
IDPA & USPSA Member

Pickwick

Postby Pickwick » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:42 am

hkguy wrote:
Pickwick wrote:I've never had the hammer bite problem with my HP's, but I know people who have. It is an individual thing, I guess based on hand size and shape. I'm not wild about the disconnect, but I have not removed mine. I don't like to mess with a factory pistol much. I did take the "lawyer lock" out of my Springfield 1911 micro-compact.

ive got big meaty man mitts :/ If i ever get a BHP, it will have to have a bearvertail welded on.

Won't a ring hammer take care of it?

hkguy

Postby hkguy » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:40 am

Pickwick wrote:
hkguy wrote:

Won't a ring hammer take care of it?

nope, we got a few israili BHP trade ins that have both a spur and a ring, same result :(
IDPA & USPSA Member

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:51 am

hkguy wrote:ive got big meaty man mitts

Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

Pickwick

Postby Pickwick » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:52 am

A buddy of mine worked for the State Dept. (in the late 70's) after college and the Corps and he carried a BHP his entire career. I don't think it was standard issue then, so they must have been allowed some choice. I know he was stationed in some embassies for part of his career.

Return to “Carry Guns”