Non carry?

Shotguns, assault rifles, sub-guns, carbines and non-carry handguns.
ridurall

Non carry?

Postby ridurall » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:50 pm

I picked this .44 Magnum up after selling my Ruger Redhawk .45 Colt. While I do all my own reloading for both of those calibers I decided that when I swapped off my .45 Colt pump rifle for a .44 Magnum Henry Big Boy (for my wife). I like the idea of hog hunting with a quality powerful handgun. This handgun came from the S&W Custom shop and has an action that feels like my Colt Python's action. I also like the Burris yellow dot scope on it. It's fast and will print a group about the size of my fist at 100 yards with 250 & 300 grain bullets. With the extra weights under the barrel the recoil is very manageable with even Corbon loads. My son in law has captured a few photos of hogs on our property and I don't know if I like the idea of them on it or if they are going to be more trouble than they are worth. Image
image url upload

Nathan
Site Admin

Re: Non carry?

Postby Nathan » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:20 pm

Nice!
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

CharlieW

Postby CharlieW » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:59 pm

That is one SERIOUS hog handgun !
Pragmatism -- the relentless pursuit of seeing things as they really are.

mattinglyt

Postby mattinglyt » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:16 pm

Very nice, I'm jealous
Ted
Dysfunctional Veteran
US Army 63B20 H8

robalo23

Postby robalo23 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:59 pm

My Version, a 1975 S&W 29-2 6" with a tru-glo 2x red dot. Ive shot hog and doe, no buck yet but I'm trying. I also reload .44 240gr hornady hollow piont with 24gr of 296. Get er done

ridurall

Postby ridurall » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:11 am

I used to use a lot of 296 but recently I've moved to HS-6 and love it. I get great velocity with heavy bullets but the recoil impulse is completely different and much more comfortable.

Pickwick

Postby Pickwick » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:29 am

That is one fine pistol. Haven't hunted hogs with a handgun. I always take the 30/30 and carry the 1911 on my hip. When my buddy hunts hogs with a pistol, I take the Winchester pump 18" 12 ga. We hunt 'em walking down old logging roads through a bottom. They are just out rooting in the late afternoons. I've shot 'em from 20 yards. That is too close if I get stupid. I've never had a hog charge or get aggressive, but it only takes one. My best friend is an ER and trauma doc and he has told me some stories of serious injuries from feral hogs. I do have a Colt King Cobra 6" in .357. I'd hunt them with it if my friend would bring the 12 ga. LOL

ridurall

Postby ridurall » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:06 pm

When I was stationed in Germany one of the heavy equipment operators and gone Kraut on us. He could speak German like a local and was the base game meister. He and a bunch of people went on the old style european high dollar hog hunt ($5000) They had dogs and a bunch of beaters with pots and spoons to drive the hogs ahead of them. One of the guys was an 18 year old kid and he came upon the dogs harassing a big hog. As soon as the boar saw the kid he shoot off the dogs and run the kid down rolling him and cutting him with a big set of tusks as he rolled him along the ground. The dogs soon attacked the hog again and he went after them with gusto. The kid got up to run and as soon as the boar saw that he shook off the dogs and went after the kid again. John came up on them just in time as the boar had about destroyed the kids clothing and cut him up something terrible. John was carrying a .375 H&H and he shot the boar off the kid and he was terrified he would hit the kid but just couldn't let the boar keep on messing him up. It took well over 200 stitches to patch up the kid and they ended up giving him the platter with the tusks mounted on it. I guess this says don't go after hogs with only pots and spoons carry enough gun.

Pickwick

Postby Pickwick » Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:49 am

ridurall wrote:When I was stationed in Germany one of the heavy equipment operators and gone Kraut on us. He could speak German like a local and was the base game meister. He and a bunch of people went on the old style european high dollar hog hunt ($5000) They had dogs and a bunch of beaters with pots and spoons to drive the hogs ahead of them. One of the guys was an 18 year old kid and he came upon the dogs harassing a big hog. As soon as the boar saw the kid he shoot off the dogs and run the kid down rolling him and cutting him with a big set of tusks as he rolled him along the ground. The dogs soon attacked the hog again and he went after them with gusto. The kid got up to run and as soon as the boar saw that he shook off the dogs and went after the kid again. John came up on them just in time as the boar had about destroyed the kids clothing and cut him up something terrible. John was carrying a .375 H&H and he shot the boar off the kid and he was terrified he would hit the kid but just couldn't let the boar keep on messing him up. It took well over 200 stitches to patch up the kid and they ended up giving him the platter with the tusks mounted on it. I guess this says don't go after hogs with only pots and spoons carry enough gun.

Ga. is crawling alive with feral hogs. There is no limit and you can hunt them year round. I live in a large dairy county with a good bit of agriculture, too. The hogs root up fields and crops, they eat the eggs and young of other animals, they destroy wind breaks and cause runoffs with their digging and rooting. They have killed friends' dogs and, on at least one occasion in our county, badly mauled a young boy. They are unpredictable…the ones I have shot, including one 370 pound old boy, have just been quietly rooting around or walking along. But, I have friends who have had to shoot them charging or threatening. If you shoot one around 100-150 pounds, they are great to eat. Much bigger and they don't taste as good, but are edible. We cook them on a pit with hickory logs all night and baste them with a sauce of mustard, vinegar, bourbon, garlic, Mrs. Dale's spice, and some other stuff.

Return to “Scatterguns, Rifles & Non-carry Handguns”