D Day Hi-Power

Shotguns, assault rifles, sub-guns, carbines and non-carry handguns.
Nathan
Site Admin

D Day Hi-Power

Postby Nathan » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:28 am

Dug from the ground on the beach at St Mere Eglise, Normandy in 2011.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

samuelrp

Re: D Day Hi-Power

Postby samuelrp » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:47 pm

If only it could talk.
Maintain the sport. Take a kid shooting.

graceandtruth

Postby graceandtruth » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:19 pm

I always wonder whether or not there are still gems buried in the sand on beaches and other places like this. I always thought, "nah, they've all been found by now"....but can you imagine being the dude who came across this with his metal detector? That would be unbelievable!
G&T
Primary Carry: Glock 23 in a CBST mounted on an SOE EDC belt

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:21 pm

graceandtruth wrote:can you imagine being the dude who came across this with his metal detector? That would be unbelievable!
It makes me want a metal detector...then I realize that I never go anywhere to find anything like this anyway. :o)

The history this pistol must have seen....I wonder if there is a cartridge in the chamber.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

ridurall

Postby ridurall » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:39 am

Wow when you think about it, it's quite a sad memorial. It's owner probably was one of those that died on the beach. My uncle was in graves registration the second and third day on the beach handling those that had passed. His stories are tough to listen to. Yesterday I was watching something about the Ghost Army of WWII that were used to divert the Germans attention away from where the action really was. When they got trapped during the Battle of the Bulge and had to scoot it made me want to look up just where the 78th Lightening Division (my father's unit) was then. My Dad never spoke much of battle but he was one of the first to cross the Rhine, in the Battle of the Hurtgen Forest, Bridge at Remagen and 5 miles from Malmedy when the Germans murdered 100+ prisoners. After the word got out about that the American GI fought like cornered wolves swearing to never surrender. It cost Germany dearly for that act. Wow I miss Dad. I see his wonderful smiling face on my phone screen every day but I lost him at age 91 May 3rd last year. Mom no longer knows who I am due to Alzheimer's. I've got Dad's M1 Garand and the 03A3 that he purchased after the war. It is still in almost new condition. Dad came home with 3 GI 1911A1s in his duffle bag but gave them all away before I was born. Those and a .45 Colt Peacemaker that my sister wouldn't leave alone so he sold it for $10 in 1955. AARRGG!

1813Anschutz

Postby 1813Anschutz » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:37 pm

Do you think your ultra sonic cleaner is up to the task? LOL

Randy
"The more I shoot the luckier I seem to Get"

NRA Certified Instructor-Rifle, Pistol, Personal Protection Inside the Home, NRA CRO. competitor in SASS, IDPA, USPSA, NRA Smallbore rifle 3/4 p. NRA High Power Rifle Service Rifle, NRA Air Rifle

Ohio9

Postby Ohio9 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:03 pm

graceandtruth wrote:I always wonder whether or not there are still gems buried in the sand on beaches and other places like this. I always thought, "nah, they've all been found by now"....but can you imagine being the dude who came across this with his metal detector? That would be unbelievable!

They are still finding WW1 and 2 relics in Europe all the time. In 2012, a 3-year old in the UK actually found a live WW2 hand grenade during an easter egg hunt

http://dailycaller.com/2012/04/09/easte ... e-grenade/

I can just imagine the parents reaction when the kid showed it to him:

"Daddy! Daddy! Look at the big Easter Egg I found! And it gave me this shiny ring....."

Montanapatriot

Postby Montanapatriot » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:40 pm

My French brother in law as a kid used to dig things up on the Normandy beaches and elsewhere in the area. There is still a lot of stuff all over Europe from the war. Look into Youtube for videos of detectorists that go to all the battlefield forest areas and find amazing stuff. Like MG42's etc.

Return to “Scatterguns, Rifles & Non-carry Handguns”