Keltec KSG 12 gauge

Shotguns, assault rifles, sub-guns, carbines and non-carry handguns.
Mogunner

Keltec KSG 12 gauge

Postby Mogunner » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:11 pm

Does anyone have a Keltec KSG? What are your thoughts on them?
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

hkguy

Re: Keltec KSG 12 gauge

Postby hkguy » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:21 pm

I dont have one, but got to fondle one at my LGS. Dont pay over 900 for them, they are out there just be patient. Keltec did a pretty good job and it gives you a really nice compact package. the down side is that they are very slow to reload and the lever to select which tube to pull ammo from is in an awkward spot if you want to switch. Reviews are seem good across the board, just depends on if its your cup of tea.
NRA Member and Certified NRA RSO
IDPA & USPSA Member
Michigan Gun Owner Member

Mogunner

Postby Mogunner » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:35 pm

Well I didn't have to buy one......my lovely wife is buying me one for my birthday :)
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

YeeeahSteve

Postby YeeeahSteve » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:13 pm

I like KelTecs stuff. They come up with some pretty interesting designs. The fact that you can yield 14 rds in a bullpup design and switch between the two tubes on the fly is pretty trick. Ive seen videos of people having trouble with them but also videos of people loving them. Do us a favor when you find one and write up a review.

Sebastian777

Postby Sebastian777 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:43 pm

My LGS let me shoot one that he had. The problem that I had was that you really have to pump it like you mean it! It jammed on me several times until I figured out that you have to kinda pump it hard to ensure reliability. That turned me off with it. I wasn't babying it, and have never had a problem with my Mossberg 500. Practice would probably allow a person to overcome the issue, and it may have just been the particular one I was shooting. Still made me lose some interest in it. I'm wondering what the UTAS UTS15 is like...

hkguy

Postby hkguy » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:27 pm

Sebastian777 wrote:I'm wondering what the UTAS UTS15 is like...

shoulder a 4x4 and you will know....
IDPA & USPSA Member

Sebastian777

Postby Sebastian777 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:34 pm

hkguy wrote:
Sebastian777 wrote:I'm wondering what the UTAS UTS15 is like...

shoulder a 4x4 and you will know....

I've held one before. The gun certainly has a "cool" factor to it, I just wonder how it shoots. It does seem to be a little bulkier than the KSG though.

nemesis76

Postby nemesis76 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:11 am

I haven't heard any good reviews on the UTS 15. Seems they are prone to jamming up pretty frequently. As far as the KSG I've been nervous to go near it because of some of the feed issues a good amount of people have had. I'm wondering if it's a break in period type thing or a design flaw.

Pickwick

Postby Pickwick » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:16 am

Kel Tec's were a real fad when they hit the market, but they are not built with long term durability in mind. They had a pretty cool .22 pistol that held 33 rounds or so, but it was Hell to find one. They also make a folding 9 MM carbine. But, I have read on several other forums that they are only expected to fire @ 5,000 rounds for the life of the gun. I am not crazy about the designs, either. Looks like something out of the Jetsons or Lost in Space. But, Made in USA and good for a tactical throw-away.

hkguy

Postby hkguy » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:59 am

Pickwick wrote:Kel Tec's were a real fad when they hit the market, but they are not built with long term durability in mind. They had a pretty cool .22 pistol that held 33 rounds or so, but it was Hell to find one. They also make a folding 9 MM carbine. But, I have read on several other forums that they are only expected to fire @ 5,000 rounds for the life of the gun. I am not crazy about the designs, either. Looks like something out of the Jetsons or Lost in Space. But, Made in USA and good for a tactical throw-away.

the PMR 30 :D and the Keltec sup2000
IDPA & USPSA Member

Rodeo Mike

Postby Rodeo Mike » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:44 pm

Hey I've got a sub 2000 in .40 I like it but it could be better. It's got alot of plastic, but it's great to shoot!
OVERKILL IS UNDERRATED

Eric_in_FL

Postby Eric_in_FL » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:33 am

Rodeo Mike wrote:Hey I've got a sub 2000 in .40 I like it but it could be better. It's got alot of plastic, but it's great to shoot!

I shot the .40 version as well, what a blast. Used some 30+ round Glock mags in it I had gotten for chuckles previously.

The price is the only reason I don't own a KSG for my home defense kit. I'm happy with my Mossberg 500, but with my home layout and location of my son's room, the thought of easily toggling between 7 slugs and 7 00 buck shells depending on intruders location would be an amazing advantage.

Haven't gotten to shoot one yet. Saw one once at the range, and if I'd had my full range bag with my shells in it with me I'd have asked, but I wasn't going to use his ammo. hehe

yankeejib

Postby yankeejib » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:15 pm

Rodeo Mike wrote:Hey I've got a sub 2000 in .40 I like it but it could be better. It's got alot of plastic, but it's great to shoot!

My Sub2000 is in Glock 9mm and I totally dig it with 33 rd. mags. For what it is, KelTec is a good bargain. The 9mm worked for GZ.

On the other hand, if I want 12 gauge, then I need a Mossberg or a Remington. I go with people that make their livelihoods from scatterguns.
Sincerely,
Professor Stu Padasol

Doing what others find difficult is talent.
Doing what others find impossible is genius,
Why be difficult when, with a little more effort, you can be entirely impossible.

Mogunner

Postby Mogunner » Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:14 pm

My KSG has hundreds of rounds through it now, bird shot, 00 buck, and slugs and it has been 100% reliable, the only thing I have noticed is as mentioned above you have to really rack the slide, it's not for the pussies lol. I have no problem with it and can run through 15 rounds in no time.

I added the extended selector switch and it is a must as far as I'm concerned, it's long enough i can switch tubes with my wrist as I'm firing and racking it. For a little fun run the little mini shotgun shells by Aguila, it holds a BUNCH of them

Return to “Scatterguns, Rifles & Non-carry Handguns”