Question

Shotguns, assault rifles, sub-guns, carbines and non-carry handguns.
Tango 1

Question

Postby Tango 1 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:02 pm

I don't own any (tactical) style rifles, yet. I'm thinking of getting a tactical style .40 carbine. Has anyone owned, used a .40 carbine? What are your thoughts, recommendations along this line? I am probably going to try to sell/trade my Winchester .30-30 model 1894 made in 1954 to get it. Any thoughts or comments are welcome.
When life gives you lemons, you make lemonade. When life gives you zombies, you work out your anger issues.

MisterB

Re: Question

Postby MisterB » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:35 pm

Are you talking about an AR style rifle? If so, I'd go with a 5.56 \. 223 or even a 9mm AR. The 9mm would be cheap to shoot and easy to find ammo for. The 5.56/.223 is going to give you better ballistics, and probably won't cost any more than a 40 to feed.

Tango 1

Postby Tango 1 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:52 pm

I understand the ballistics, I want to go the .40 route because I don't want to start buying, stocking, storing another caliber. I have limited funds, room for weapons and ammo. I already have stock of .40 and would be willing to buy more. I don't want to start over with 5.56 or .223. I'm not looking to be able to shoot several hundred yard shots, just something fast and accurate at close combat range with interchangeable rounds for my pistol. I hope we never have a war on our soil as I am not that prepared to start with. but would like a small piece of mind that I have some door to door shooting ability. I hope this makes since? Am I totally off base? Whats your thought?
When life gives you lemons, you make lemonade. When life gives you zombies, you work out your anger issues.

MisterB

Postby MisterB » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:05 pm

I think in theory it makes sense, but there's really no debate to have or decision to make if all you have is a .40 cal pistol, and you want to be able to interchange the rounds with your rifle. That said, I'm not so sure a 40 cal rifle is going to be THAT different from the 40 cal pistol you already have, will it? You might be more satisfied in the end if you get the proper rifle caliber. It's sort of like if you have a 5" cell phone screen, and are looking to also get a tablet. To me, it doesn't make any sense to get a 7" tablet because it is so close to the phone you already have. May as well step up to the 10" tablet.

Hand and Steel

Postby Hand and Steel » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:55 pm

Agree with MisterB. In a "really bad day" scenario in which you need to be carrying a rifle, your pistol is simply backup/personal defense when the rifle is not immediately on hand - you won't be shooting your pistol much so interchangeability of ammo is not a major concern. On the other hand, if in a general disaster / war on American soil type deal you get caught in a firefight you're going to want as much firepower in your rifle as possible, so a more powerful round like 5.56x45 or 7.62x39 makes a lot more sense. Those rounds have far greater barrier penetration, terminal effectiveness and range than a .40 S&W.

If you want some "peace of mind" on a budget, I say pick up a pair of quality AK-47s in the $600-700 range and put scopes on them. The AKs are rugged and reliable under just about every condition imaginable and have enough accuracy for what you're talking about.
"It is demonstrable that power structures tend to attract people who want power for the sake of power and that a significant proportion of such people are imbalanced — in a word, insane.” – Frank Herbert

"Welcome to Costco. I love you."

Pickwick

Postby Pickwick » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:02 pm

I agree with Mr. B and Hand and Steel. Get a real rifle. I'd go with a Mini 14 in 5.56. More rugged than an AR, less maintenance, more reliable...and you never know when you might need to reach out and touch someone. You can find them for 700 or so new.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:24 pm

Dibs on the Winchester.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:28 pm

I like lever guns chambered in .44 Magnum, but don't much care for sub-guns. If you are going through the hassle of carrying a rifle, carry a rifle. Now, that said, I can appreciate your situation. If the funds are limited, so are your choices. Is there enough ballistic advantage to the .40 to make it worth the cost of the rifle (as opposed to just spending that same money on more ammunition for your handgun)? To me the advantage isn't enough; to you it may be.

That said, if you've made up your mind and are proceeding, I was serious about the Winchester. Send pictures sometime. I've developed a sincere passion for lever guns for some reason. :)
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

Hand and Steel

Postby Hand and Steel » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:23 pm

Nathan wrote:I've developed a sincere passion for lever guns for some reason. :)

Lever guns are magic, absolutely love them as well. There's something downright friendly and trustworthy about a good lever gun. I just can't justify owning one when that money could be spent on a few cases of ammo instead. :roll:
"It is demonstrable that power structures tend to attract people who want power for the sake of power and that a significant proportion of such people are imbalanced — in a word, insane.” – Frank Herbert

"Welcome to Costco. I love you."

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:33 pm

I'm convinced I was meant to be born in the late 1800s.
Nathan in Image

Pickwick

Postby Pickwick » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:56 am

Nathan wrote:I'm convinced I was meant to be born in the late 1800s.

You mean you weren't? :D :D :lol:

Tango 1

Postby Tango 1 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:19 am

I'll try to get some pictures together.

samuelrp

Postby samuelrp » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:58 am

Nathan wrote:I'm convinced I was meant to be born in the late 1800s.

I would fit in better in that time too for many reasons.
Maintain the sport. Take a kid shooting.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:57 am

Hand and Steel wrote:I just can't justify owning one when that money could be spent on a few cases of ammo instead.

The sense of satisfaction it brings to sit in the woods plinking with a lever gun make it more than worth the expense of the gun itself. I love shooting any type of gun (except muzzle-loaders; that's just a pain in the butt), but I feel a special kinship with my lever guns. My favorite rifle of all time is my saddle-ringed Winchester '94 chambered in .44 Magnum. It's expensive to shoot so I don't get to nearly as much as I would like to, but when I do I get lost in it.
Nathan in Image

1813Anschutz

Postby 1813Anschutz » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:38 am

Come shoot a SASS match with me and Donk and you can shoot a lever gun at high speed along with a good SxS shotgun, with a pair of Single action revolvers and you to can live in yesteryear!
So, consider yourself invited my friend. Donk invites you as well!!

Randy
"The more I shoot the luckier I seem to Get"

NRA Certified Instructor-Rifle, Pistol, Personal Protection Inside the Home, NRA CRO. competitor in SASS, IDPA, USPSA, NRA Smallbore rifle 3/4 p. NRA High Power Rifle Service Rifle, NRA Air Rifle

yankeejib

Postby yankeejib » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:00 pm

A decent AR is still around $700 (M&P?). 223/5.56 isn't that expensive. And there's a huge difference between 1200FPS and 3200FPS.
Sincerely,
Professor Stu Padasol

1813Anschutz

Postby 1813Anschutz » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:49 am

If you really want a .40 caliber lever gun then your only real choice is the original.....a Winchester '73 /'92 chambered in 38-40! I know it sounds like it is a .357 diameter bullet..it is not. it is actually .401
There I solved it for you!!

Randy
"The more I shoot the luckier I seem to Get"

NRA Certified Instructor-Rifle, Pistol, Personal Protection Inside the Home, NRA CRO. competitor in SASS, IDPA, USPSA, NRA Smallbore rifle 3/4 p. NRA High Power Rifle Service Rifle, NRA Air Rifle

robalo23

Postby robalo23 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:02 pm

The vertue of a pistol cal. Carbine has merrit. If you look at it in terms of extending your pistol out to 50yds. Its not a bad thing. As a home defence weapon its a low recoil, threat remover. Especially if equiped with a light/lazer combo. Ive a cheap highpoint 4595 beside my bed on the wifes side, lazer equiped. Shes not bad with her 9mm but at 20ft she hits where the red dot appeares on the target evert time. My edc is a .45 and i have several k rounds in .45 good choice for me.
The old Thompson smg was a great machine. The new choices arn't too bad either.

YeeeahSteve

Postby YeeeahSteve » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:06 pm

What type of pistol are you working with? IF its a Glock chambered in .40 an excellent option is the keltec Sub 2000with Glock compatible magazines. However, while I enjoy pistol caliber carbines of which I own several, the school of thought (already mentioned), if you're going to carry a rifle might as well carry something chambered in a RIFLE" round makes a lot of sense.

ramjet

Postby ramjet » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:59 am

I think they make a Keltec folding carbine in .40...And it can use certain types of mags??? That might be something to look into.
Kahr P9
S&W 1911 stainless
Springfield Armory 1911 milspec
S&W 686 4in. stainless

Return to “Scatterguns, Rifles & Non-carry Handguns”