AR15 pistols

Shotguns, assault rifles, sub-guns, carbines and non-carry handguns.
Nathan
Site Admin

AR15 pistols

Postby Nathan » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:01 am

With the state of the world I think it might be a good idea to have a concealable AR15. Educate me please; specific models and links appreciated.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

MisterB

Re: AR15 pistols

Postby MisterB » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:08 am

Palmetto State Armory is your friend. Just buy a complete lower for $135. Have it shipped to your FFL and do the background check and pick it up. Then, you can order the rest of the parts online and have them shipped to your house. Pick out the complete upper you want, and it's two pins to install it to your lower. Then just pick out a BCG and a charging handle, and you're ready to go. http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-comp ... black.html

Hand and Steel

Postby Hand and Steel » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:15 am

Why not an AK pistol? No buffer tube sticking out the back, and more reliable from what I've heard.
"Our great war is a spiritual war, our great depression is our lives."

MisterB

Postby MisterB » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:18 am

This upper is cool: http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-8-5- ... andle.html

Looks similar to my upper that you handled and liked, but it's a shorter version. It is currently out of stock, but their stock changes quickly. Might be out of stock now, but back in stock later today. Keep checking

MisterB

Postby MisterB » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:20 am

Hand and Steel wrote:Why not an AK pistol? No buffer tube sticking out the back, and more reliable from what I've heard.

For me, the answer is that we're trying to protect ourselves against terrorists... not arm ourselves with the same gun that is iconic for terrorists to use. Yes, the California terrorists used AR's, but that's the exception. Also, AK's are hard enough to shoot accurately when shouldered. An AK pistol must be like a weed whacker

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:41 am

Thanks much for the feedback. I don't really want to build my own on this and want to get one that's functional and reliable out of the box.

I've found this one from Sig, available for around $1,400 with a piston. With a 7.5" barrel, this is about as concealable as I'll ever find I think. What I don't understand is the arm brace that's on it. Is this extendable to fire from the shoulder? Is it even realistic to attempt to fire one of these from the shoulder? I just don't have the expertise required to make a sound decision, but I fully believe that if I order this that very soon I'll be glad that I did if for no other reason than availability drying up very soon as demand surges after the next terror attack.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

MisterB

Postby MisterB » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:00 pm

That Sig looks good, but don't deny yourself the experience, convenience, fun, and modular functions of being able to buy a complete upper and installing it to a complete lower in less than 5 seconds. They are extremely reliable.

As for your question about the forearm brace, I think it is just intended to stay in that position

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:27 pm

Nathan wrote:Is this extendable to fire from the shoulder? Is it even realistic to attempt to fire one of these from the shoulder?

After a bit of research I've found that it's not legal to fire from the shoulder without paying a tax. If you fire from the shoulder it is an SBR (short barreled rifle) and requires a tax stamp. So it isn't legal unless you first give government some money. B(
Nathan in Image

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:29 pm

...so do I want a 10" or a 7.5"? Obviously the 7.5" is a little more concealable but you lose velocity. The 10" is a little harder to conceal but increases velocity considerably because the powder has time to burn before the bullet exits the muzzle. What say you?
Nathan in Image

hkguy

Postby hkguy » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:04 pm

While the sig is nice, it is a heavy mother effer for what it is. honestly, if your looking for something that compact and want to avoid the possible creation of a SBR, spend a little more and look at getting a bullpup like the IWI Tavor.

rifle caliber pistols are not really that easy to conceal either.

what do you really want to accomplish with this?
NRA Member and Certified NRA RSO
IDPA & USPSA Member
Michigan Gun Owner Member

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:49 pm

hkguy wrote:what do you really want to accomplish with this?

This morning when I first looked this gun was $50 cheaper than it is right now. I predict a run on guns very soon. Not only do I see it as an investment potential, but should the need arise I like the thought of being able to put an AR15 under my coat on a single point sling. Just in case.
Nathan in Image

hkguy

Postby hkguy » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:30 pm

If it were me then i would look at a DI AR pistol. Piston guns are nice but if they break all of the systems are pretty much proprietary and parts will be a bear to find. You can do the same with a Tavor, i guess the only difference will be how your stats concealed carry laws treat the concealment of rifles or if its allowed.

here is a comparison between a Tavor and an AR pistol

AR pistols i'd rather have over the sig
https://danieldefense.com/firearms/mk18-pistol.html
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/category-s/211.htm
IDPA & USPSA Member

Dubhan

Postby Dubhan » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:43 pm

Id go 10" simply because it will increase your range beyond which you lose fragmentation velocity, and as you know, with 5.56, when you lose fragmentation velocity, unless you are shooting really heavy, you are basically shooting 22 magnum.

If you want a 7, perhaps you should consider a heavier cartridge that still packs a wallop at lower velocities.

hkguy

Postby hkguy » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:54 pm

Dubhan wrote:If you want a 7, perhaps you should consider a heavier cartridge that still packs a wallop at lower velocities.

It would be a good time to get a 458 socom pistol then :D
IDPA & USPSA Member

samuelrp

Postby samuelrp » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:47 pm

How much difference would 2 1/2 inches make on that firearm with cconcealability? Both look good.
Maintain the sport. Take a kid shooting.

Dubhan

Postby Dubhan » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:01 pm

hkguy wrote:
Dubhan wrote:If you want a 7, perhaps you should consider a heavier cartridge that still packs a wallop at lower velocities.

It would be a good time to get a 458 socom pistol then :D

Was thinking more like one of the .300 varieties, but I like your thinking.

hkguy

Postby hkguy » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:53 pm

the .30 cal pistols offer little unless you run the supressed. the round on a good day is only as effective as a 7.62x39/30-30 and to neuter it in a pistol form does very little more than what a traditional pistol can.

Nate could consider a HK 91 pistols or an FAL pistol. i dont think i would want to shoot either, but they would pack one hellofa punch
IDPA & USPSA Member

Dubhan

Postby Dubhan » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:16 pm

Nate, go with the longest barrel that works for you. Even the 10" has a ridiculously short fragmentation range with 55gr. Or go really really heavy.

http://angry-peasants.blogspot.com/2012 ... e.html?m=1

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:59 am

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... s_id/89985

In 24 hours, Buds has raised the cost of that rifle $400. It went from $1400 to $1800. I should have ordered sooner. :(
Nathan in Image

hkguy

Postby hkguy » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:56 pm

Nathan wrote:http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/89985

In 24 hours, Buds has raised the cost of that rifle $400. It went from $1400 to $1800. I should have ordered sooner. :(

found one for $1500

http://www.impactguns.com/sig-p516g2-10 ... 516g2.aspx
IDPA & USPSA Member

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:12 pm

Nathan in Image

Smurf

Postby Smurf » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:29 pm

My son has a Sig that he bought several years ago. He loves it.It has a folding wire stock that he can open out to brace against his arm. He also has shoulder strap on it. You won't be disappointed.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:31 pm

Smurf wrote:It has a folding wire stock that he can open out to brace against his arm.

Does he have it registered as an SBR (Short Barreled Rifle) or is he running it renegade?

I have no intention of installing a stock because that would be illegal, but I'd like to have options in case of SHTF/TEOTWAWKI/apocalypse. Also, what about single point slings?
Nathan in Image

Tye

Postby Tye » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:17 pm

Maybe the Buds web site recognized your computer continously looking and therefore they bumped up the price for YOU? Ive suspected this years ago, but a $400 jump?!
Best regards,

Tye

Smurf

Postby Smurf » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:45 am

Nathan wrote:
Smurf wrote:It has a folding wire stock that he can open out to brace against his arm.

Does he have it registered as an SBR (Short Barreled Rifle) or is he running it renegade?

I have no intention of installing a stock because that would be illegal, but I'd like to have options in case of SHTF/TEOTWAWKI/apocalypse. Also, what about single point slings?

He bought it from a dealer with the stock from the factory. It is not registered as a sbr, it is considered a pistol. The stock is small it just opens to his forearm for stability. It is a hoot to shoot. I have a AR rifle but for plinking I had rather shoot his Sig. I am positive that his sling is a single point. It allows him to carry it on his shoulder within easy reach.

Return to “Scatterguns, Rifles & Non-carry Handguns”