AR15 pistols

Shotguns, assault rifles, sub-guns, carbines and non-carry handguns.
deadguy

Re: AR15 pistols

Postby deadguy » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:41 am

I just built this one for less than $600. Chambered in 5.56/.223, and plan to load it with a 40 or 50 grain varmint round. This is my beater car gun.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:52 pm

deadguy wrote:I just built this one for less than $600.

Including the optic?

This is my beater car gun.

That is exactly what I had in mind for mine. An AR15 that can be manipulated in the cab of my truck.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:58 pm

54.jpg
54.jpg (109.01 KiB) Viewed 1083 times

My Sig 516 arrived finally; two day shipping turned into two weeks due to either shipping delays or Federal oversight because "Collier bought another gun!". :o

On the positive side it's well built, seems reliable and accurate with open sights. I don't yet have an optic for it and would normally install a 553 but now I'll have to find something that will perform comparably. I won't claim it's any better than my M&P despite costing nearly three times as much. It's fun to shoot!

On the negative side the damn thing weighs as much as an M60, and I don't much care for the "forearm stabilizer" and may end up just paying the damn tax to register it as an SBR so I can install a decent stock. For all the additional weight of the piston system I sure hope that I'm benefitting from it somehow.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

Ohio9

Postby Ohio9 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:30 pm

I've never understood the point of AR or AK pistols. They are huge, bulky, and still need to be held just like a rifle. So what advantage does the pistol version have? It seems like they are pistols only in name.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:16 pm

Ohio9 wrote:It seems like they are pistols only in name.

...and there you have it. ;)
Nathan in Image

Ohio9

Postby Ohio9 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:26 pm

So what's the point of having them?

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:28 pm

If you purchase a short barreled rifle you have to pay the government a tax and subject yourself to ATF scrutiny. If you buy it as a pistol, it's a pistol. Just don't get caught raising it up to your shoulder, else it's a felony. Stupid, I know.

In my case I wanted an AR15 that I could manipulate while inside the cab of my truck.
Nathan in Image

Ohio9

Postby Ohio9 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:44 pm

I guess. They just seem so big they don't present any significant advantage over a traditional M4.

Is there really a law that says you can't fire an AR pistol from the shoulder or it becomes a rifle?

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:37 pm

Ohio9 wrote:I guess. They just seem so big they don't present any significant advantage over a traditional M4.

Sit in the driver's seat of your car and try to manipulate a standard M4. Point it out the passenger window, windshield and driver's window. It's almost impossible and very difficult. The 10" barrel makes for a huge difference. The 7.5" would have been even better but I wasn't willing to sacrifice that much velocity.

Is there really a law that says you can't fire an AR pistol from the shoulder or it becomes a rifle?

Indirectly, yes. Once you shoulder the weapon you have a short barreled rifle (SBR) and become a felon for not having it registered. I don't know how some get away with the shoulder stock for a Browning Hi-Power. Perhaps someone with greater knowledge can explain it.
Nathan in Image

Ohio9

Postby Ohio9 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:39 pm

Then why do most AR pistols have stocks?

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:04 pm

They aren't "stocks"; they're "forearm braces" that conveniently shoulder decently. It's a bull shit work-around for those who choose to circumvent written law.

...just don't post a picture on Facebook shouldering the weapon.
Nathan in Image

deadguy

Postby deadguy » Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:10 pm

Nathan wrote:
deadguy wrote:I just built this one for less than $600.

Including the optic?

This is my beater car gun.

That is exactly what I had in mind for mine. An AR15 that can be manipulated in the cab of my truck.

I had the optic already so I didn't figure that into the total cost. It only cost me $50 bucks, anyway.

I plan to finally shoot this thing on Friday. Extra ear protection in the bag.

As far as the loss of velocity goes with a 7.5" barrel, I will load with the lighter varmint ammo for increased velocity and a tip that will hopefully cause the bullet to expand effectively. Optimim range of 50 yards and in, of course. After that, I'm SOL, unless my 6920 is close by.

11bravo

Postby 11bravo » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:04 am

deadguy wrote:I just built this one for less than $600. Chambered in 5.56/.223, and plan to load it with a 40 or 50 grain varmint round. This is my beater car gun.

Did you buy local or get the stuff online? If you got it online do you mind sharing the info?

deadguy

Postby deadguy » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:26 am

11bravo wrote:
deadguy wrote:I just built this one for less than $600. Chambered in 5.56/.223, and plan to load it with a 40 or 50 grain varmint round. This is my beater car gun.

Did you buy local or get the stuff online? If you got it online do you mind sharing the info?

PSA blem complete lower and BCG, Radical Firearms 7.5" upper. All items were found in sale at great prices. Sig brace was sold to me at a huge discount by a member of another forum, and the charging handle was given to me by yet another forum member.

I was able to get out with it this past Saturday, and this thing is fun! I used a boresight to get the red dot semi-dialed in and it worked extremely well for getting me on target with the first shots. No need for adjustments for CQ accuracy. No, I did not shoulder it, nor did I have the brace on my arm. I could have simply left the brace off and used it the way I did. Single point sling attached, pistol extended to use the sling as an aid for stability. A couple hundred rounds fired with no stoppages. 20-25 yards at all times, which for me, would be the intended range. I had read that these shorter barrels are extremely loud, but i found that my 6920 with 16" barrel is louder.

For the fun factor alone, I would recommend one of these. The $500 beater factor, and being a .223/5.56, is icing on the cake.

YeeeahSteve

Postby YeeeahSteve » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:40 pm

I know I'm a little late to the party but have you seem the the pistols Armalite has to offer? They're very compact and actually have folding stocks (gun wont fire with stock folded). I know unfolding a stock is one extra step in readying a firearm but they fold to where they can be stowed just about anywhere. A little on the higher end of price as well.

https://armalite.com/shop/m-15-pistol/

deadguy

Postby deadguy » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:08 am

I received a Thordsen enhanced cheek rest and got it installed this morning. This is by far my favorite out of the SIG brace or the naked buffer tube. My cheek rests on the unit comfortably, and my eye is centered over the top rail perfectly.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:46 am

Interesting addition. I'm planning to register mine as an SBR and put a standard collapsible stock on it.
Nathan in Image

deadguy

Postby deadguy » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:47 pm

Nathan wrote:Interesting addition. I'm planning to register mine as an SBR and put a standard collapsible stock on it.

Figured I would save the $200 and go this route. I dig these little rascals.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:02 pm

deadguy wrote:I dig these little rascals.

There is no finer "truck gun" I think. I can sit behind my steering wheel and still turn it 360 degrees with efficiency.
Nathan in Image

deadguy

Postby deadguy » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:56 am

Nathan wrote:
deadguy wrote:I dig these little rascals.

There is no finer "truck gun" I think. I can sit behind my steering wheel and still turn it 360 degrees with efficiency.

For me, it's my car gun. ;) I may have to reach through the back seat into the trunk to grab it, but it's close by if needed.

LWP

Postby LWP » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:54 pm

Do you need sights? Do you shoulder it, or just cheek it?

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:33 pm

LWP wrote:Do you shoulder it, or just cheek it?

Note that while it's perfectly legal to own an AR15 pistol, if you shoulder it you are committing a felony offense. This is the reason I'll be applying for an SBR license.
Nathan in Image

deadguy

Postby deadguy » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:44 pm

LWP wrote:Do you need sights? Do you shoulder it, or just cheek it?

I use a red dot sight, and do not shoulder it.

Return to “Scatterguns, Rifles & Non-carry Handguns”