"Nice" pistol reccomendations

Shotguns, assault rifles, sub-guns, carbines and non-carry handguns.
Sebastian777

Re: "Nice" pistol reccomendations

Postby Sebastian777 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:50 pm

Nathan wrote:Do you know the difference of a P&R?

I didn't until last night when I looked it up. My Model 10 is only pinned, whereas my Model 27 is pinned and recessed.

I have failed to find why P&R is a big deal though. I found that the pinned barrel is to keep it in place, but is that really an issue? As for recessed, I haven't found an advantage.

Is P&R special because of rarity, age, or were they just built with a higher quality overall?

hkguy

Postby hkguy » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:08 am

i believe the P&R guns are simular to performance center guns, well before the performance center was created.
NRA Member and Certified NRA RSO
IDPA & USPSA Member
Michigan Gun Owner Member

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:48 am

P&R guns were hand built by true craftsmen.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

Sebastian777

Postby Sebastian777 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:44 pm

Nathan wrote:
Sebastian777 wrote:A safe queen that can go to war.

HK45 or the 9mm version, the P30.

Nate, or anyone for that matter, what's the difference between the P30 and the VP9?

Sebastian777

Postby Sebastian777 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:46 pm

Sebastian777 wrote:
Nathan wrote:
Sebastian777 wrote:A safe queen that can go to war.

HK45 or the 9mm version, the P30.

Nate, or anyone for that matter, what's the difference between the P30 and the VP9?

EDIT: I see the VP9 is striker fired. So the better question is: How does the VP9 compare to the P30?

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:44 pm

I own two P30s (one in 9mm and one in .40) and two VP9s. Both are phenomenal combat grade weapons; both are first class combat weapons. It really all comes down to whether you want a traditional DA handgun or a SA striker fired weapon. I like and shoot both. I'll typically carry the DA at home (where I'm more likely to need a gun while potentially half asleep) and the SA when I'm out. Shooting the P30 In SA mode I can shoot it with equal efficiency as the VP9. I don't much care for the DA "throw-away" shot when shooting it DA, but in all fairness I have never found a DA trigger that was acceptable.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

Sebastian777

Postby Sebastian777 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:04 pm

Just found this on Sig's website, the P220 Super Match. Still haven't decided yet, but... I think I just fell in love at first sight. That thing is just gorgeous!
Aside from size, different caliber, and the sights, how do these compare to a P226 Legion?

Sebastian777

Postby Sebastian777 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:15 pm

Another picture where the grips look even better.

MisterB

Postby MisterB » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:37 pm

That's gorgeous. I have one almost identical, in 10mm. The reset isn't quite as good as a Sig DA/SA with SRT, but it's still very nice. The Legion trigger is a tiny bit better, but keep in mind that 220 frame (if it's like my 220 Elite 10mm) is stainless steel vs aluminum, and that's a major plus. I'm really feeling this pistol for your needs and wants. Just be sure you want target sights and SAO. I prefer 3 dot night sights, and DS/SA with SRT, so that's my only beef with mine

MisterB

Postby MisterB » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:43 pm

Here's mine with a couple of my other Sigs
Image[/URL]

Hand and Steel

Postby Hand and Steel » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:46 pm

Nathan wrote:I don't much care for the DA "throw-away" shot when shooting it DA, but in all fairness I have never found a DA trigger that was acceptable.

Acceptable for what, though? If you're shooting at typical self defense distances - like 0 to 5 yards, it's still easy to quickly put a double action shot in the thoracic cavity. If you plan on shooting single action only, as for a longer shot, it's easy just to either manually cock the hammer with the thumb of the support hand as it comes up into a support position, or swipe the hammer back with the heel of the off hand if you're about to shoot one handed. So why would there necessarily be a "throw away shot"?

MisterB wrote:Here's mine with a couple of my other Sigs

Those are quite nice.
"Our great war is a spiritual war, our great depression is our lives."

MisterB

Postby MisterB » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:03 pm

Hand and Steel wrote:
Nathan wrote:I don't much care for the DA "throw-away" shot when shooting it DA, but in all fairness I have never found a DA trigger that was acceptable.

Acceptable for what, though? If you're shooting at typical self defense distances - like 0 to 5 yards, it's still easy to quickly put a double action shot in the thoracic cavity. If you plan on shooting single action only, as for a longer shot, it's easy just to either manually cock the hammer with the thumb of the support hand as it comes up into a support position, or swipe the hammer back with the heel of the off hand if you're about to shoot one handed. So why would there necessarily be a "throw away shot"?

MisterB wrote:Here's mine with a couple of my other Sigs

Those are quite nice.

I agree about your assessment of DA/SA. Besides, when you think about it, Glocks are about the same with the first trigger pull. You just don't have the option to manually cock the hammer and shorten the first shot, or use the decocker.

I appreciate that. They have spoiled me, but I still love my Glocks.

I just bought one of these beasts in 10mm

Sebastian777

Postby Sebastian777 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:44 pm

Looking around for P220 Super Match to look at and hold, as well as a P226 and the HKs. Still considering building up a Glock though too.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:52 pm

Hand and Steel wrote:Acceptable for what, though?

For my personal preferences. I just don't like DA mode triggers. That's not to say that I can't hit with them, just that I don't like them.

why would there necessarily be a "throw away shot"?

It's just accepted common terminology. I can get perfectly acceptable combat accuracy with anything you put in my hand...you just have to work for it a little harder with a DA trigger fired in DA mode.
Nathan in Image

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:54 pm

Sebastian777 wrote:Still considering building up a Glock though too.

What does that mean, exactly? I only ask because the only modification I would ever consider doing on a Glock is upgrading the sights. Without exception, every Glock failure I've ever witnessed after countless personal range sessions and classes (as student or instructor) has only been on modified Glocks. I've never witnessed a failure of any type on a stock Glock. I've heard they happen, but I've also heard of some claiming to see unicorns. :D
Nathan in Image

MisterB

Postby MisterB » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:15 pm

Sebastian777 wrote:Looking around for P220 Super Match to look at and hold, as well as a P226 and the HKs. Still considering building up a Glock though too.

Good luck finding a P220 Super Match in person to hold. I'm crossing my fingers for you, but not holding my breath. When you find a 226, hold multiple versions with multiple grip types. My 226 in the above pic is an Elite Dark. They came with aluminum grips, that are very nice. The 220 I have has G10 grips, which are a type of polymer. They're nice too, but not quite the same premium feel as the aluminum. Sig factory wood grips are very nice too, but be warned they add quite a bit of thickness to the grip, and I've heard guys with small hands complaining about them.

If you're wanting to build a Glock, the G40 10mm MOS is a cool platform. It comes with the plates to mount a variety of different brands of optics. The gun itself isn't cheap. I paid $769. Optics range from $200-$600. Then you have co witness sights, aftermarket barrels, etc. You can easily be in to a G40 for as much as a nice Sig.

Pickwick

Postby Pickwick » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:31 am

I'd say a Gold Cup or a BHP Standard with adjustable sights. Don't know anything about the P&R Smith, but Nathan usually makes good recommendations.

Sebastian777

Postby Sebastian777 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:27 pm

Nathan wrote:
Sebastian777 wrote:Still considering building up a Glock though too.

What does that mean, exactly? I only ask because the only modification I would ever consider doing on a Glock is upgrading the sights. Without exception, every Glock failure I've ever witnessed after countless personal range sessions and classes (as student or instructor) has only been on modified Glocks. I've never witnessed a failure of any type on a stock Glock. I've heard they happen, but I've also heard of some claiming to see unicorns. :D

Aftermarket trigger, milled slide, weighted, polished, ported, compensated, etc. It would no longer be a "field" Glock, more of a competition shooter. Just an idea I'm tossing around for something like a G34.

Hand and Steel

Postby Hand and Steel » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:58 pm

If you still want it to be a nice looking gun but you're willing to do some customization, I'd reconsider the CZ in stainless. Check out this link if you want to see some really beautiful examples of both stock and customized stainless 75s.

http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=45099.0

hkguy

Postby hkguy » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:49 am

Zev and lone wolf make some really nice dressed up glocks

http://zevtechnologies.com/

https://www.lonewolfdist.com/
NRA Member and Certified NRA RSO
IDPA & USPSA Member
Michigan Gun Owner Member

Sebastian777

Postby Sebastian777 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:24 pm

Sooo... I was talking to a guy at work about this yesterday. Today he comes up to me and asks, "Are you still thinking about a Glock 34? I have one for sale in my truck." Long story short, had around 300 rounds through it, he had Dawson Precision sights on it, and he had the Glock case and two factory mags, for a whopping $500. I'm not big on buying used guns, but it was just too good of a deal to pass up. Plus, even after I put a little money into it, still keeping it IDPA SSP legal, I have money left out of my budget to take a couple of shooting and tactical classes.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:58 pm

Hard to go wrong with any Glock; congrats!
Nathan in Image

Tye

Postby Tye » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:38 pm

OK

Another one here with love of the CZ. Have the Matte Stainless and I do believe it is currently my favorite. I saw the polish stainless at my LGS a while ago -- definitely striking! I'll have to check it out more thoroughly when I pick up my PCR as soon as Monday! My Matte seems to have more of an upswept beavertail. I bought it when I was looking for a ambidextrous CZ85. With ambi safety (and beavertail) the Matte had my name written all over it! For those that don't like double action, just put on the safety with the hammer cocked; done (and locked). For those that like a DA first shot, safely drop the hammer to the partial cock notch - done. When in this DA mode the safety CAN NOT be engaged unlike some designs.

Yeah that Sig LOOKS pretty in its own way, but imagine your hand gripping it and visualize the bore axis. Can anyone say muzzle flip. OK no problem if you are looking for a non-shooter anyway! Fine for combat distances, I'm sure. Now imagine your grip on that CZ in the photo -- no better yet go fondle one! The slide rides INSIDE of the frame, keeping a bore axis more in line with the grip.

If you are a 1911 guy perhaps you'll have a bad impression of the trigger as you can stage it even in SA mode (but it is repeatable). A little work could go a long way here. I haven't found it necessary once familiarizing myself with it.

Either way have fun!
Best regards,

Tye

Tye

Postby Tye » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:46 pm

Glock? Tee hee! Congrats on your functional tool. I guess those were REALLY big QUOTATION MARKS around the word, Nice. LOL

Sometimes I have a hard time reading sarcasm. Now I understand why the quotation marks are in the subject line!
Best regards,

Tye

Hand and Steel

Postby Hand and Steel » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:44 am

Tye, are we going to see any photos of the 75 and the PCR? :D

Return to “Scatterguns, Rifles & Non-carry Handguns”