AmmoPal Shotgun Shell Dispenser

Shotguns, assault rifles, sub-guns, carbines and non-carry handguns.
Ohio9

AmmoPal Shotgun Shell Dispenser

Postby Ohio9 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:28 pm

Just found out about this nifty product today. I don't know how much practical use it has for those of us who aren't hunters, but if nothing else it makes accessing shells at the range more convenient.

Nathan
Site Admin

Re: AmmoPal Shotgun Shell Dispenser

Postby Nathan » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:41 pm

I could see this being handy for shooting trap perhaps. If it's ≤$10 then I'd get one but even then I wouldn't feel like any real need had been filled.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

hkguy

Postby hkguy » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:22 pm

its a product that is a solution seeking an answer. Its not practical for 3-gun. the plastic does not look very robust so i would have serious durability issues in the cold. SInce it only stores 2 3/4in shells, it has little value to duck and goose hunters too. It might be nice for the upland hunter or those on the trap/skeet/sporting clays lines....

looking at their website... they want $39.99 a pop for them.
NRA Member and Certified NRA RSO
IDPA & USPSA Member
Michigan Gun Owner Member

Ohio9

Postby Ohio9 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:10 am

hkguy wrote:the plastic does not look very robust

Looks can be deceiving. The video showed the guy tossing the dispenser around on a hard surface without any rounds falling out. If I did that with some of my pistol mags, I'd probably loose a round or two.

The 40 dollar price tag does seem a bit high, but this is the dispenser's first month of availability. I'm sure the price will eventually drop.

samuelrp

Postby samuelrp » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:47 am

I just dump'em in my pocket. You can feel the primer end and reload about as fast.
Maintain the sport. Take a kid shooting.

Ohio9

Postby Ohio9 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:50 pm

samuelrp wrote:I just dump'em in my pocket. You can feel the primer end and reload about as fast.

I for my 12 gauge, I have 7 rounds in the tube, plus 4 more in a side saddle. I also have loops on its sling that could hold more rounds, but I find any more rounds then those 11 makes the gun significantly heavier. So generally I don't want to turn my sling into an anchor weighing the gun down.

hkguy

Postby hkguy » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:40 am

Ohio9 wrote:
hkguy wrote:the plastic does not look very robust

Looks can be deceiving. The video showed the guy tossing the dispenser around on a hard surface without any rounds falling out. If I did that with some of my pistol mags, I'd probably loose a round or two.

The 40 dollar price tag does seem a bit high, but this is the dispenser's first month of availability. I'm sure the price will eventually drop.

the mag body might be able to handle the informal test, my concern would be the mounting clips breaking during use while in the field chasing game. this product just screams gimmick. its only appeal would be in a BOB type situation where you put in on your BOB if you prefer to only carry 2 3/4 shells only. If it were able to hold 3" shells, it might be worthwhile...
IDPA & USPSA Member

Ohio9

Postby Ohio9 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:17 pm

hkguy wrote: its only appeal would be in a BOB type situation where you put in on your BOB if you prefer to only carry 2 3/4 shells only. If it were able to hold 3" shells, it might be worthwhile...

The only shells I've ever used are 2 3/4. What situation would one ever face where 2 3/4 shells are insufficient for the task, but 3' shells are not?

hkguy

Postby hkguy » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:04 pm

Ohio9 wrote:
hkguy wrote: its only appeal would be in a BOB type situation where you put in on your BOB if you prefer to only carry 2 3/4 shells only. If it were able to hold 3" shells, it might be worthwhile...

The only shells I've ever used are 2 3/4. What situation would one ever face where 2 3/4 shells are insufficient for the task, but 3' shells are not?

you must not duck/goose/turkey hunt.
IDPA & USPSA Member

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:07 pm

Ohio9 wrote:What situation would one ever face where 2 3/4 shells are insufficient for the task, but 3' shells are not?

The only time I ever bother with 3" loads is when hunting waterfowl. The extra range and shot are beneficial. Any other time it really isn't worth the recoil; I'd face the devil with 2¾" 00 buckshot.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

hkguy

Postby hkguy » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:38 pm

Nathan wrote:The only time I ever bother with 3" loads is when hunting waterfowl. The extra range and shot are beneficial. Any other time it really isn't worth the recoil; I'd face the devil with 2¾" 00 buckshot.

i dont disagree, all of my personal/family protection are 2 3/4 20 ga rounds.

My experiences for many of the things that ohio suggest it could be used for, there better products that can be used in many cases for specific needs.

the average trap/skeet/sporting clays shooter will find little value in it. they shoot 2 rounds then have ample time to reload and do you really think they will carry up to 10 if they are shooting a round of 100?
the average hunter(small game, upland, water foul, deer, etc) will find little value in this product in my opinion. with the exception of snow goose hunting in some areas, there are strict ammunition limits one can have in the gun at anyone time. typically there is time to reload between flushes too.
It has some appeal in the bug out scenario where you could attache it to the outside of your pack for easy access but most of us have saddles and other ammo carrying deceives close to or on the gun for quick on the fly reloads. my HD shotty has a capacity of 8+1 and a side saddle with 4 round. that give me 13 on the gun before i would have to reach for this reloading device.

personal feelings aside, the belt/pack clips appear to be the weak point in the system and will probably be the biggest source of failure in the field. im sure some will find use and value in that product at $40. to me, its just a gimmick
IDPA & USPSA Member

Ohio9

Postby Ohio9 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:46 am

hkguy wrote:
you must not duck/goose/turkey hunt.

No I don't.

yankeejib

Postby yankeejib » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:52 am

Nathan wrote:The only time I ever bother with 3" loads is when hunting waterfowl. The extra range and shot are beneficial. Any other time it really isn't worth the recoil; I'd face the devil with 2¾" 00 buckshot.

In regards to HD/SD, at 10-15 feet, there's no one that's going to discern the difference between 12 and 20 gauge, 00 or #4 shot, or cartridge length. Everything goes splat. In regards to hunting, you really don't want to splash the bird into a red cloud of ground meat, nor do you want to chew on lead balls, hence the choice of rounds.
Sincerely,
Professor Stu Padasol

Doing what others find difficult is talent.
Doing what others find impossible is genius,
Why be difficult when, with a little more effort, you can be entirely impossible.

Return to “Scatterguns, Rifles & Non-carry Handguns”