.458 SOCOM

Shotguns, assault rifles, sub-guns, carbines and non-carry handguns.
Nathan
Site Admin

.458 SOCOM

Postby Nathan » Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:41 am

I'm considering a .458 SOCOM AR15 to replace my Winchester 1300 as my primary grizzly bear defense gun. They don't provide the range for hunting grizzly (which I don't, anyway) but would be great for defending my gut-pile until I can remove the goods of whatever I'm harvesting. Over the years I've had a couple slip in undetected and get a little too close for comfort before I realized they were there.
So what am I overlooking, or what do I need to know before venturing into a new caliber (for me)?
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

Nathan
Site Admin

Re: .458 SOCOM

Postby Nathan » Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:31 pm

Yeah, most likely my next gun purchase.

Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:16 pm

All of Corbon choices state that they are made for the CMMG Anvil rifle only. Either their loads are so hot and the Anvil is so much better than all the others that it's the only rifle strong enough to handle them, or its a marketing ploy to create demand for both products. Anyone with any knowledge on this? As I understand it, the Anvil is the only rifle built specifically for the .458 Socom (instead of modified standard AR15 components) and that the bolt lugs are bigger and stronger, but is this really the case? I can't imagine Rock River or a few others building anything weak or weaker than anybody else. Is the CMMG worth the additional expense?

A 300 grain .458 caliber bullet travelling 1900fps is pretty devastating.
Nathan in Image

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:32 pm

I pulled up Buffalo Bore to see if they had similar restrictions and none are listed. They did however say:

"For those who want to hunt big game, destroy cars or houses, or do close range sniping with an AR platform firearm, the 458 SOCOM has no equal."

and

"I am not aware of that bullet ever being recovered from huge buffalo or bear, as it always penetrates on through, despite the angel of the animal. So, at our 1700 fps, it will penetrate several feet (probably 5 feet) through living muscle and bone. This is enough penetration to kill the biggest AK/Yukon moose, bison or grizzly. Never mind it is hyper accurate when loaded into 458 SOCOM ammo."
SOURCE

Now it's just a matter of determining what rifle and what optic to get; suggestions appreciated.
Nathan in Image

hkguy

Postby hkguy » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:03 pm

based on what i just read, the CMMG rifle uses a beefed up receiver and bolt to handle the increased power of the 458. you will probably be ok using this ammo in a standard AR so long as you dont feed it a steady diet of it. But is the rifle some how fails (cracked receiver, bolt failure, Kaboom, etc) then your SOL as far as corbon is concerned for using ammo in a rifle its not designed for.
NRA Member and Certified NRA RSO
IDPA & USPSA Member
Michigan Gun Owner Member

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:47 pm

hkguy wrote:based on what i just read, the CMMG rifle uses a beefed up receiver and bolt to handle the increased power of the 458. you will probably be ok using this ammo in a standard AR so long as you dont feed it a steady diet of it. But is the rifle some how fails (cracked receiver, bolt failure, Kaboom, etc) then your SOL as far as corbon is concerned for using ammo in a rifle its not designed for.

Thanks for the confirmation; that's what I was thinking but when you get into this price range I really like to make certain.

bgs.jpg
bgs.jpg (81.75 KiB) Viewed 1122 times

...now it's just a matter of waiting it out. Buds tends to be slow to ship but their prices are often the best to be found and I've never received a gun from Buds with handling marks from being banged around in a display cabinet by careless store staff.

With this I'm done buying guns (long guns or short) for a long time I think, unless I happen across a sequential pair of P1650 Colts at retail or a P7 M13 ≤$1,500, neither of which is likely to happen.
Nathan in Image

11bravo

Postby 11bravo » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:17 pm

Nathan wrote:
hkguy wrote:based on what i just read, the CMMG rifle uses a beefed up receiver and bolt to handle the increased power of the 458. you will probably be ok using this ammo in a standard AR so long as you dont feed it a steady diet of it. But is the rifle some how fails (cracked receiver, bolt failure, Kaboom, etc) then your SOL as far as corbon is concerned for using ammo in a rifle its not designed for.

Thanks for the confirmation; that's what I was thinking but when you get into this price range I really like to make certain.

bgs.jpg

...now it's just a matter of waiting it out. Buds tends to be slow to ship but their prices are often the best to be found and I've never received a gun from Buds with handling marks from being banged around in a display cabinet by careless store staff.

With this I'm done buying guns (long guns or short) for a long time I think, unless I happen across a sequential pair of P1650 Colts at retail or a P7 M13 ≤$1,500, neither of which is likely to happen.

You have been saying that for a month. In a week I expect you will have bought another :D

jnic

Postby jnic » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:54 pm

I assembled a 458 socom about a year ago using the Wilson barrel combo. I decided that I needed a short range thumper. I'm interested in your experience with the round.

MisterB

Postby MisterB » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:15 pm

The reason your Bud's orders take so long, is that you're using an E Check. They have to verify the funds and it takes a while for it to process and then fund. If you pay with a visa debit card, or a credit card, it goes much more quickly. Of course then you lose the cash discount, but if you're in a hurry or can't stand the wait, it might be worth an extra $25-$50 to get it more quickly.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:50 am

11bravo wrote:In a week I expect you will have bought another :D

Not gonna lie...perfectly plausible. Image
Nathan in Image

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:53 am

jnic wrote:I assembled a 458 socom about a year ago using the Wilson barrel combo. I decided that I needed a short range thumper. I'm interested in your experience with the round.

I've been unsuccessful in finding any ammunition locally so it looks like that even when it arrives tomorrow, I'll still have to wait on an internet ammo delivery. Image

What loads do you prefer, and why?
Nathan in Image

jnic

Postby jnic » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:01 pm

So far I've just tried the Hornady 325 gr FTX with RL7. I went with the ftx thinking that its profile would facilitate feeding. Plus I don't need to go any heaver in southern Oklahoma. RL7 was the only suitable powder that I could lay my hands on. Accuracy is good, when single loaded (feeding issues). Its rather dirty so I'll probably try something different this spring.

The rifle is a "Franken" build. The receivers were mfg by Umbrella Corporation. Barrel, gas system, BCG by Wilson. Trigger is a Larue MBT-2S which is very nice. I'm currently experiencing feeding issues that I believe are associated with the feed ramps and/or magazines. I'll try some different magazines within the next few weeks.

11bravo

Postby 11bravo » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:09 am

Nathan wrote:
11bravo wrote:In a week I expect you will have bought another :D

Not gonna lie...perfectly plausible. Image

I know, didn't just meet you yesterday man.

Mogunner

Postby Mogunner » Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:21 pm

One of my first AR builds was 458, it was a thumper and would destroy anything you point it at but ammo was pretty expensive for a plinker and was hard to find
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:58 pm

Mogunner wrote:One of my first AR builds was 458, it was a thumper and would destroy anything you point it at but ammo was pretty expensive for a plinker and was hard to find

After several failed attempts at locating ammunition locally, I've come to terms with that I'll have to order it online. Any recommendations, and why? Also, did you find any success in minimizing recoil?
Nathan in Image

Mogunner

Postby Mogunner » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:16 pm

The recoil never went away unfortunately.

I bought ammo online from midway USA and lucky gunner but I rarely found it less than 2.50 a round. Guess if a guy wanted to reload it would save some money but then you have to decide if you will shoot it enough to justify reloading it
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

jnic

Postby jnic » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:58 am

My dad had some pigs he wanted tended to and I decided to address my feeding issues so out came the SOCOM this weekend 8)

With my standard magazines, the cartridges were bouncing off of the lugs in the barrel extension leaving deep gouges in the case. I tried one of my 6.5 Grendel magazines which effectively eliminated this issue. I'm currently undecided if I'll stick with the Grendel magazines, order some SOCOM magazines from Wilson or modify my current magazines.

When the pigs came to our stand there was a sow and her litter which consisted of 7 to 10 fifty(ish) pounders at a range of roughly 30 yards. My son promptly called the "big one". Once the shooting started they began running towards our stand. In however long it took them to run 30 yards, I was able to get off three reasonably well aims shots. I did miss once. V( The small pigs doesn't give a true indication of terminal performance but I can say that tracking was minimal.

hkguy

Postby hkguy » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:41 pm

here seems to be a good place to get cailber specific followers for your 458

http://www.tromix.com/458-socom-parts-1.html

this would be my first choice if they would make one for the 458
https://www.jprifles.com/1.4.2_re.php
IDPA & USPSA Member

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:19 am

I received my order from Buffalo Bore yesterday, 100 rounds of .458 SOCOM in 350 grain loads. Holding one in my hand, my next question is, where can I go to hunt T-rex? Image
Nathan in Image

hkguy

Postby hkguy » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:57 pm

Nathan wrote:I received my order from Buffalo Bore yesterday, 100 rounds of .458 SOCOM in 350 grain loads. Holding one in my hand, my next question is, where can I go to hunt T-rex? Image

IDPA & USPSA Member

hkguy

Postby hkguy » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:57 pm

Nathan wrote:I received my order from Buffalo Bore yesterday, 100 rounds of .458 SOCOM in 350 grain loads. Holding one in my hand, my next question is, where can I go to hunt T-rex? Image

IDPA & USPSA Member

Return to “Scatterguns, Rifles & Non-carry Handguns”