Arisaka Type 99

Shotguns, assault rifles, sub-guns, carbines and non-carry handguns.
YeeeahSteve

Arisaka Type 99

Postby YeeeahSteve » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:43 pm

I went to Cabelas with a friend over the weekend not really expecting to buy anything (Im sure more than one of you can relate) I came across an Arisaka Type 99. It was sitting rather inconspicuously on the used gun rack with a few various types of surplus military rifles. I gave it a good look over and inspected the markings. It took a few minutes of fiddling with my phone to find out it was manufactured sometime around 42'-43' based on the Japanese symbols and serial number. I decided I needed to have it so it came home with me.

The stock is pretty beat up and has a few splits in it.

As I understand, the flip down apertures on either side of the rear sight were somehow used for anti-aircraft purposes.

The top of the receiver would normally have a chrysanthemum stamped into it which was the symbol of the emperor at the time which indicated the rifle belonged to him. Many rifles had the mum ground off before being surrendered.

While its missing a couple items; dust cover and mono-pod and the stock is in rough shape, I still enjoy having a piece of history. Now I just need to find some ammo for it. Any leads would be greatly appreciated.

MisterB

Re: Arisaka Type 99

Postby MisterB » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:51 pm

Cool gun. I have a type 99 carbine, that my Grandfather brought back from the war. It's got the mum in tact, and still has the dust cover. It's one of my most cherished possessions. Anyway, it's a sweet shooter. Hardly any recoil, and very accurate. Hornady makes ammo for it.

YeeeahSteve

Postby YeeeahSteve » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:04 pm

MisterB wrote:Cool gun. I have a type 99 carbine, that my Grandfather brought back from the war. It's got the mum in tact, and still has the dust cover. It's one of my most cherished possessions. Anyway, it's a sweet shooter. Hardly any recoil, and very accurate. Hornady makes ammo for it.

Thats quite the heirloom, I'd love to see some pictures if you've got the time.

Montanapatriot

Postby Montanapatriot » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:17 pm

I have a sporterized Arisaka in 7x57 Mauser. The Arisaka action is the strongest bolt action ever produced. The NRA did tests on it in the 50s and couldn't blow it up. Enjoy it!
Also, the dust cover rattled, in combat it was thrown away first thing.

Return to “Scatterguns, Rifles & Non-carry Handguns”