if u can only have one long gun...

Shotguns, assault rifles, sub-guns, carbines and non-carry handguns.
Dubhan

if u can only have one long gun...

Postby Dubhan » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:59 pm

If you can only have one long gun, what would you choose and why. Im guessing that the most versatile choice would be an AR carbine variant in 5.56. Capable of handling varmints, a whole slew of social encounters, and with heavy 75g loads, a fair deer rifle.

Nathan
Site Admin

Re: if u can only have one long gun...

Postby Nathan » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:53 pm

If truly limited to one long gun only the choice for me is an AR10.

That said, don't limit yourself to one long gun unless you really have to. If your house is on fire and you've only time to grab one, grab the AR10...but unless your house is burning down around you don't limit yourself just to save money or for any other reason. There are so many different options out there because there are so many different valid uses. Were I going into urban combat I would grab my AR15. 5.56 is plenty adequate for it. Why wouldn't I grab my AR10 for that? Because its so dang heavy in comparison. OK, so if its so heavy then why would I grab it if limited to only one? Because I would be able to hunt bigger game too or shoot through an engine block if need be.

Choices...I like having them.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

jmhyer

Postby jmhyer » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:12 pm

Shotgun 12ga. - w/ birdshot, buckshot, and slugs, there's really nothing it can't do.

hkguy

Postby hkguy » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:06 am

my 870 20 or 12 ga.

can take any two or four legged game in my area.
NRA Member and Certified NRA RSO
IDPA & USPSA Member
Michigan Gun Owner Member

ridurall

Postby ridurall » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:41 am

Nathan wrote:If truly limited to one long gun only the choice for me is an AR10.

That said, don't limit yourself to one long gun unless you really have to. If your house is on fire and you've only time to grab one, grab the AR10...but unless your house is burning down around you don't limit yourself just to save money or for any other reason. There are so many different options out there because there are so many different valid uses. Were I going into urban combat I would grab my AR15. 5.56 is plenty adequate for it. Why wouldn't I grab my AR10 for that? Because its so dang heavy in comparison. OK, so if its so heavy then why would I grab it if limited to only one? Because I would be able to hunt bigger game too or shoot through an engine block if need be.

Dittos, I love shooting my Armalite AR-10T. Not the handiest weapon but wow is she accurate and fun to shoot. My AR-15s are next in line but i would really hate to be limited to one gun.

Thain

Postby Thain » Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:28 pm

AR-15

robalo23

Postby robalo23 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:59 pm

jmhyer wrote:Shotgun 12ga. - w/ birdshot, buckshot, and slugs, there's really nothing it can't do.

+1 shotguns are the most versatile weapon you can get

riadat

Postby riadat » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:35 pm

I have a Marlin .22 stainless bolt action tube fed 22 and it was cheap but I love it.

I'm going to go with the bolt action 22 and a shit ton of ammo.

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/firearms/xt/XT22.asp

Synthetic stock, stainless, tube accu trigger.

RagTop454

Postby RagTop454 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:02 am

If only one, it would have to be the AR-10 (but I'd sure try to make it out with the AR-15 too).

Glenn

CharlieW

Postby CharlieW » Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:27 pm

Well, I have this Henry ''Big Boy" in 44 mag. that would be hard to leave behind ...
Pragmatism -- the relentless pursuit of seeing things as they really are.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:37 pm

CharlieW wrote:Well, I have this Henry ''Big Boy" in 44 mag. that would be hard to leave behind ...
Is that a tactical decision or one based in personal attachment?
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

riadat

Postby riadat » Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:12 pm

I think a lot of our choices are made on personal attachment. .44 lever has to be damn good gun within 100 yards.

The reason why I like my 22 is that it has very few moving parts, is light, stainless and synthetic, and you can carry a butt load of ammo for it.

For small game like rabbit and squirrel and possum, whatever, it should get the job done. In a true SHTF scenario I would try my luck with deer with it. I'm sure deer have been poached with 22 before and at the end of the world I will try it again.

CharlieW

Postby CharlieW » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:20 pm

Nathan wrote:
CharlieW wrote:Well, I have this Henry ''Big Boy" in 44 mag. that would be hard to leave behind ...
Is that a tactical decision or one based in personal attachment?

Well, it was certainly tactical in the 1880's, but there is something to be said for a handy reliable, multi-caliber rifle, although 38/357 would probably be a better choice.
Pragmatism -- the relentless pursuit of seeing things as they really are.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:55 pm

I won't argue that its a great gun (I'd love to have one!). My '94 chambered in .44 Magnum is my favorite rifle hands down...I love the thing...but if I could only own one rifle I wouldn't limit it to a 100 yard gun. In the SE a 100 yard gun might be a good choice...I slayed countless white tails with my '94 .30-30, but if I tried hunting with it out here I would starve.
Nathan in Image

samuelrp

Postby samuelrp » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:12 pm

riadat wrote:
The reason why I like my 22 is that

For small game like rabbit and squirrel and possum, whatever, it should get the job done.

I haven't eaten a good opossum since 1963 when my grandfather passed away.
Maintain the sport. Take a kid shooting.

mattinglyt

Postby mattinglyt » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:18 pm

I think I'd have to go with my Mossberg 500 and bring two barrels. Technically it's still one long gun, but with my 24" rifled barrel, it'll toss a copper sabot accurately out to 250 yds, swap to my bird barrel and take whatever bird, squirrel, rabbit, etc.

In a happy world, I'd walk off with either my AR or SKS and a shotty.
Ted
Dysfunctional Veteran
US Army 63B20 H8

Pickwick

Postby Pickwick » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:41 am

Probably my Ruger Mini-14 SS Ranch. I got rid of my Colt AR and went back to the Mini 14…I prefer the Garand action, it is easier to clean, and more reliable long term under less than ideal conditions. Plus, I hated all the small parts and it was a pain to clean. Granted, the Mini 14 is not as accurate, but I am used to it and can hit with it just fine at distance. This is a tough choice, because I love my Marlin 336 C 30/30. But, in today's world, the fire power is important.

Tye

Postby Tye » Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:02 pm

Nathan wrote:If truly limited to one long gun only the choice for me is an AR10.

Nate,

Have you done a review of your Frabrique Nationale AR10?
Best regards,

Tye

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:26 am

Tye wrote:Have you done a review of your Frabrique Nationale AR10?
My AR10 is an S&W M&P AR10, and I have not yet reviewed it. I hope to catch up on reviews this winter during my down time.
Nathan in Image

ridurall

Postby ridurall » Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:51 am

Scotty and a friend of his just got done shooting our Henry Big Boy .44 magnum and my Ruger 77/17 this afternoon. I hate to have to put a limit on how much ammo they shoot but it's not as easy to get or as cheap as it once was. My biggest problem with the .44 Magnum is not being able to find HS-6 powder for reloading for it.

Tye

Postby Tye » Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:06 pm

Nathan wrote:
Tye wrote:Have you done a review of your Frabrique Nationale AR10?
My AR10 is an S&W M&P AR10, and I have not yet reviewed it. I hope to catch up on reviews this winter during my down time.

I was baiting you -- as FN I believe has the sole copy right or trade mark for AR10! Unlike 1911 and kleenex it is not truely a generic term. I figured you'd like to know.

Merry Christmas, all!
Best regards,

Tye

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:08 pm

Tye wrote:
Nathan wrote:FN I believe has the sole copy right or trade mark for AR10! Unlike 1911 and kleenex it is not truely a generic term.
"The AR-10 is a 7.62 mm battle rifle developed by Eugene Stoner in the late 1950s at ArmaLite, then a division of the Fairchild Aircraft Corporation. When first introduced in 1956, the AR-10 used an innovative straight-line barrel/stock design with phenolic composite and forged alloy parts resulting in a small arm significantly easier to control in automatic fire and over 1 lb (0.45 kg) lighter than other infantry rifles of the day. Over its production life, the original AR-10 was built in relatively small numbers, with fewer than 9,900 rifles assembled.

In 1957, the basic AR-10 design was rescaled and substantially modified by ArmaLite to accommodate the .223 Remington cartridge, and given the designation AR-15. ArmaLite licensed the AR-10 and AR-15 designs to Colt Firearms. The AR-15 eventually became the M16 rifle." - SOURCE.
Nathan in Image

Dubhan

Postby Dubhan » Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:04 pm

Pretty sure AR originally referred to "Armalite Rifle".

Tye

Postby Tye » Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:28 pm

Ah shoot; my bad! Indeed Armalite. I knew that the name AR10 wasn't for public consumption, however.

There are quite few AR10 style rifles out there though, eh? Nice to see the resurgence in interest and more options.
I was thinking about this platform for a 243 win, but Santa decided a bolt action would serve my current "need" to step up my long range game.
Best regards,

Tye

Pickwick

Postby Pickwick » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:52 am

I would not pick an AR anything for a long-term, reliable, all-purpose survival rifle in a violent society. In the semi-auto category, I would choose one of the Garand action weapons in either 5.56 or .30 cal./7.62.
But, if I had to live in the wilderness and survive long term without the threat of riots or civil combat, I'd choose something like a Marlin (pre-Remington) 336 or one of the Henry rifles. I like lever guns.

Return to “Scatterguns, Rifles & Non-carry Handguns”