Aimpoint PRO vs EOtech XSP2-0

Optics, sights, and all sighting specific issues.
45fan

Aimpoint PRO vs EOtech XSP2-0

Postby 45fan » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:57 pm

I am currently in the market for a reliable and battle proven 1X sight for my M4 Carbine. Does anyone have experience with either of these optics or both of the? If so, which would you recommend?

This topic is re-hashed over and over again and I know some guys are Aimpoint fans, and others are EOtech all the way. I understand that the PRO can have up to 30,000 hours of continuos battery use and has a very rugged design and 2 MOA dot while the EOtech has what many people consider a "superior" reticle with the 65 MOA ring and 1 MOA dot. I think the EOtech would be a faster acquisition for CQC slightly, but has to manually be turned on and has a 4 or 8 hour auto shut off, while the aimpoint can just be left on continuously for 3 years. the Aimpoint takes weirdo N5 3V batteries while the EOtech takes 1 CR123 battery that can be found easily and is the same as most of my light. the Aimpoint costs a little under $400 and the EOtech is about $450.

hkguy

Re: Aimpoint PRO vs EOtech XSP2-0

Postby hkguy » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:44 pm

either will serve your needs just fine. it really boils down to what you like best. Ive had a strikefire which is comparable to the aim-point pro and i like the eotech's better.
NRA Member and Certified NRA RSO
IDPA & USPSA Member
Michigan Gun Owner Member

LWP

Postby LWP » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:33 pm

I have never used either of those, but I wonder why you don't consider a 3X optic. I think the shooters in the sandbox use 3X.

chemist

Postby chemist » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:32 pm

I love my XPS2-0. I don't think I would ever get a PRO. It just screams snag/grab point to me, for some reason. My comparison was always to the micro aimpoints. I like the smaller dot on the eotech. If I had an SBR, it would probably get a micro aimpoint, just for the size/volume.
"Don't tread on me" - Leave me and my property unmolested, and I won't have a sneaking desire to imagine you with a bullet displacing your brain tissue.

deadguy

Postby deadguy » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:20 am

This is an old thread but I recently faced this same decision.

I have a horrible astigmatism. Single dots aren't clear at all. However, I wanted to look through an Aimpoint PRO, and compare it to an Eotech with the circle dot reticle. The Aimpoint dot is by far the most clear of the single dots that I've looked at. I went with an Eotech EXPS 3-0 over the Aimpoint. The reticle is much better for my eyes.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:25 am

Buying optics is one area where saving money is sacrificing quality. I didn't used to believe that back when my eyes were 100%. As I'm aging and my eyesight is going to shit, I appreciate better optics more than ever. Despite the recall, in red dot scopes there is nothing truly comparable (to me) to the EoTech 553 ($600) that I use. Even the lower grade EoTechs just don't cut it for me anymore. I get a ghosting effect when I attempt to use the cheaper red dots.
In magnified scopes I find that I shoot with the most authority with my ACOG ($1,400) and my personal battle rifle utilizes an ACOG with 45 degree angle offset open sights for close range.
There are a lot of differing opinions on optic quality because it's a unique experience that will vary from shooter to shooter. If you're still blessed with great eyesight you can get away with buying cheaper optics, but once your eyesight starts to go to shit, the difference in optic quality is more obvious.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

deadguy

Postby deadguy » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:16 am

I checked out the ACOGs when sampling the others, and I wasn't very impressed, at least not enough to justify spending that much more for what my intended uses are. I also looked through 2 other Trijicon sights, the MRO and the 42mm Reflex site. The amber reticle was by far the least visible for me, regardless of background color, and the MRO amber dot was more blurry than any of the inexpensive red dots I have tried. I really wanted to like the 42mm Reflex due to its larger objective, but it did not work for me.

Choosing a RDS is definitely a personal thing, and a potential buyer should look through as many as possible before buying. When considering a gun purchase, I am fine with buying based on recommendations from others. With the RDS, I am glad I took the extra time to sample several models and reticles before purchasing.

Nathan, you are spot on about the eyesight/age issue. While I have never had great vision, even when corrected, it seems to be getting worse.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:28 am

deadguy wrote:I checked out the ACOGs when sampling the others, and I wasn't very impressed, at least not enough to justify spending that much more for what my intended uses are.

Was this standing in a gun store pointing it at the back wall, or did you truly test it at the range?

The amber reticle was by far the least visible for me, regardless of background color

Also available in green; I utilize the green.

Choosing a RDS is definitely a personal thing, and a potential buyer should look through as many as possible before buying.

Indeed. Try everything available.

Nathan, you are spot on about the eyesight/age issue. While I have never had great vision, even when corrected, it seems to be getting worse.

...it's a real bitch. I'm nowhere near the marksman I once was. I still do pretty good, but it's so much harder when you're slowly going blind.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

deadguy

Postby deadguy » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:38 am

Nathan wrote:
deadguy wrote:I checked out the ACOGs when sampling the others, and I wasn't very impressed, at least not enough to justify spending that much more for what my intended uses are.

Was this standing in a gun store pointing it at the back wall, or did you truly test it at the range?
Standing in the store looking at every possible background color. I truly wish I could have taken them outdoors to try them. I know my opinion could have been different had I been able to.

The amber reticle was by far the least visible for me, regardless of background color

Also available in green; I utilize the green.
that may have worked better for me as well.

Choosing a RDS is definitely a personal thing, and a potential buyer should look through as many as possible before buying.

Indeed. Try everything available.

...it's a real bitch. I'm nowhere near the marksman I once was. I still do pretty good, but it's so much harder when you're slowly going blind.

Indeed. I have to deal with my weakest eye being the one I use looking through a scope. Long distance shooting is tough, while both eyes open shooting with the Eotech utilizes the stronger eye and makes it much easier.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:40 am

deadguy wrote:both eyes open shooting with the Eotech utilizes the stronger eye and makes it much easier.

This is one time when my right handed but left eye dominant works to my advantage. With both eyes open looking through a holographic scope my dominant eye is focused on sight picture with my passive eye picking up the reticle (sight alignment). It creates an immediate acquisition for me.
Nathan in Image

Return to “Optics & Sights”