Favorite Pistol Sights

Optics, sights, and all sighting specific issues.
Hand and Steel

Favorite Pistol Sights

Postby Hand and Steel » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:33 pm

I don't use sights much. I spend most of my time on the range practicing quick and dirty shooting with one hand, from below eye level, and achieve more than acceptable accuracy that way. However, when I do use the sights, I really use them, instead of just looking for a "flash sight picture".

I've found over the years that for well aimed, deliberately sighted fire, the old school military style blade and notch sights have produced the best results, with ramped target sights coming in second, and modern three dot style sights coming in third. This goes against most people's experience and preferences. Anyone else prefer the smaller blade and notch sights of last century, or is it just me?
"Our great war is a spiritual war, our great depression is our lives."

samuelrp

Re: Favorite Pistol Sights

Postby samuelrp » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:04 pm

I prefer the smith and Wesson red ramp and white adjustable rear u.
Maintain the sport. Take a kid shooting.

hkguy

Postby hkguy » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:53 pm

I prefer a bing rear notch and a skinny front post with a fiber optic insert. my preference comes from my competitive shooting background were I strive for acceptable combat accuracy all shots in a 4-6in group

novak styled sights work well too, and are a close second
NRA Member and Certified NRA RSO
IDPA & USPSA Member
Michigan Gun Owner Member

MisterB

Postby MisterB » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:11 pm

I prefer stock Glock sites.

Kidding. I like Tru Glo TFO's.

I have a mil spec 1911 A1 with authentic WWII grips and holster. I wanted something as close to what the guys used in the war, that was still something I could shoot and would be reliable. I purposely left the stock sites on it. After shooting it, I'm guessing lots of Japanese and Germans were inadvertently shot in the stomach or groin area, as our guys probably did more point shooting than trying to use the sites. Technology has come a long way since then. I'd use it on your carry gun

flymaker

Postby flymaker » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:29 pm

thru more than a few yrs of IDPA match shooting , Ive come to find as long as you can transpose the front sight center mass the shot will be where it needs to be if your a 1'' or 2 high or low its not gonna matter much . At typical self defense distances I am on the same terms as the OP first remark . as to which sight system I like best ....Meprolite night sights on the G19 and stock rear with a red fiber optic for a front on the G26 ..... My G17 match guns use the warren tactical plain black rear with a red fiber optic front .... I have also been playing with the XS Big Dots and they seem to be a very easy and quick to use set up been playing with them most of the summer getting ready to try and get my master IDPA card. . I prefer a front sight that jumps in your face other than that I just point the gun center mass if the distance is close .

Return to “Optics & Sights”