AR 15 Optics

Optics, sights, and all sighting specific issues.
Tater

AR 15 Optics

Postby Tater » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:44 pm

I'm looking for a red dot for my AR 15. I don't have a clue what to buy. I'm just using my AR for shooting paper right now, may possibly try three gun.

I see prices from 180.00 for a Vortex Strikefire to 500.00 for a AimPoint or EO tech. Is a 500.00 dollar optic better than a 200.00 or evev a 100.00 optic?
Thanks

Nathan
Site Admin

Re: AR 15 Optics

Postby Nathan » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:26 pm

Yes, the more expensive optics are typically of higher quality. The quality scopes hold true zero better, have a crisper defined dot, and utilize non-reflective lenses so that you don't get ghosts in your sight picture. Some may not be able to tell much difference but my old and tired eyes sure can. If you just want to get on paper then most any scope can do that for you, but if you want more precise shooting, go ahead and get a quality scope. It is my personal belief that if you paid more for your rifle than you did for your scope, you bought the wrong scope.
I use an EoTech 553 (about $700) on my CQB rifle (protecting my home) and an ACOG (about $1500) on my field rifle.

To see the arguments for and against that have already been debated, see viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4825 for more.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

Return to “Optics & Sights”