458 Socom optic

Optics, sights, and all sighting specific issues.
Nathan
Site Admin

458 Socom optic

Postby Nathan » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:51 am

With the primary intended use being grizzly defense, acquisition speed is my top priority. If a grizzly starts a charge from ≤ 30 yards, unless you are already acquiring a sight picture you'd best just go ahead and shoot yourself and save the bear the trouble of mauling you. For my primary intended use, a red dot would be the best option.
Secondary use would be moose/bison hunting, but the caliber is limited to 200 yards so a highly magnified optic would be a waste. At the same time, I'd probably prefer open sights to red dot at 200 yards. To date I've never found a red dot magnifier to make reliably accurate shots and dismiss them as tacticool marketing.
For my intended uses, I'm considering a red dot for 100 yards with flip up sights to co-witness for 100-200 yards. Is there a better solution that I'm not considering?
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

hkguy

Re: 458 Socom optic

Postby hkguy » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:39 am

i think if you went with a true 1-4x or 1-6x optic you could get the best of both worlds. on 1x you could run it as if it were a red dot site (there are many scopes that come with illuminated redicles too) and use leave it there for when your processing downed game. when your hunting big game you can dial up the magnification and hunt with 4-6x and have more than enough scope for the 200 yards range of the .458.

the trijicon Vcog willl be at the top of the range (price wise) and there are several offerings from Nikon, Leupold, Vortex, and others.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/category/st ... iflescopes

http://www.opticsplanet.com/vortex-razo ... scope.html

http://www.opticsplanet.com/leupold-vx- ... ticle.html

https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products ... mid=1-6x24

https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products ... mid=1-6x24
NRA Member and Certified NRA RSO
IDPA & USPSA Member
Michigan Gun Owner Member

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:19 pm

hkguy wrote:i think if you went with a true 1-4x or 1-6x optic you could get the best of both worlds. on 1x you could run it as if it were a red dot site (there are many scopes that come with illuminated redicles too) and use leave it there for when your processing downed game. when your hunting big game you can dial up the magnification and hunt with 4-6x and have more than enough scope for the 200 yards range of the .458.

That's a pretty dang good idea, too; thanks! I'll research your links carefully and consider each. One of the biggest complaints I've read on the related forums is that the .458 socom is a scope killer from the brutal recoil. Any opinions on which of these is most durable?
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

hkguy

Postby hkguy » Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:32 pm

Nathan wrote:
hkguy wrote:i think if you went with a true 1-4x or 1-6x optic you could get the best of both worlds. on 1x you could run it as if it were a red dot site (there are many scopes that come with illuminated redicles too) and use leave it there for when your processing downed game. when your hunting big game you can dial up the magnification and hunt with 4-6x and have more than enough scope for the 200 yards range of the .458.

That's a pretty dang good idea, too; thanks! I'll research your links carefully and consider each. One of the biggest complaints I've read on the related forums is that the .458 socom is a scope killer from the brutal recoil. Any opinions on which of these is most durable?

Leupod, Trijicon, Vortex should be able to stand up to it. if you manage to kill a vortex or leupold, they come with a no bs warranty and will replace the glass.
IDPA & USPSA Member

hkguy

Postby hkguy » Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:32 pm

Nathan wrote:

Leupod, Trijicon, Vortex should be able to stand up to it. if you manage to kill a vortex or leupold, they come with a no bs warranty and will replace the glass.
IDPA & USPSA Member

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:42 pm

This is a combination I hadn't considered, but I want better quality. What combination would you recommend? Trijicon Accupoint with what holographic site? What mounts?
Nathan in Image

LWP

Postby LWP » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:35 am

Do you really want to add 2 lbs of optics onto an extra heavy rifle? If you are OK with open sights at 200 yds why can't you be confident of quick acquisition at 30 yds?

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:49 am

LWP wrote:Do you really want to add 2 lbs of optics onto an extra heavy rifle? If you are OK with open sights at 200 yds why can't you be confident of quick acquisition at 30 yds?

I could be perfectly confident, I'm just always looking for better and the red dot is an instant acquisition for me. I don't know yet if the difference would be significant enough to change a decision, I'm just bouncing all possibilities off the wall at this point waiting for something to stick.
Nathan in Image

jnic

Postby jnic » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:49 pm

I went with a Zeiss 2-8 but I'm seriously considering replacing it with a vortex 1-6. As you stated, it's a rather short range weapon.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:55 am

Any opinions on the Sig scope?

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/600750957
Nathan in Image

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:24 pm

I made the rounds to all of the LGS today and compared all of the optics and have concluded with certainty that for me there just is no comparison to the Trijicon Accupoint. Acquisition is almost immediate for me and the green reticle just jumps out and catches my eye. Now to just decide on a model.
Nathan in Image

hkguy

Postby hkguy » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:25 pm

outstanding!!!!
IDPA & USPSA Member

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:35 pm

The Burris dual sight mentioned above surprised me in having a really decent scope, but the red dot on top of it absolutely sucked. I could acquire faster through the scope than I could the sight. I may try the combination of the Trijicon scope with a Trijicon red dot on top of that.
Nathan in Image

Rodeo Mike

Postby Rodeo Mike » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:19 pm

I have a Burris Fast Fire 2 on my home defense rifle, I love it. I can shoot 4 legged intruders at 100 yards. You can shoot it both eyes open. It happens to be the primary optic on that rifle so no awkward looking over the top of a scope. I have hit clays with it, flung by my shotgun popper. Very fast!
OVERKILL IS UNDERRATED

Return to “Optics & Sights”