Boresights

Optics, sights, and all sighting specific issues.
Nathan
Site Admin

Boresights

Postby Nathan » Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:48 pm

What are the best boresighters today? I'm not a fan of the laser type and want something that will get me on paper reliably. I'd prefer something that would work for open sights or scopes (I know, laser) but I'm uncertain of the reliability of each. Bushnell makes a magnetic one (instead of arbors) but I don't know how reliable the elevation setting would be without an arbor to ensure that it's lined up properly.

Somebody educate me please on Boresighter 101?

Thanks,
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

LWP

Re: Boresights

Postby LWP » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:36 am

Don't know about boresights, never trusted them. You must be tinkering with your daughter's new .243, and the picture looks like you can remove the bolt and look through the barrel. Why don't you eye-sight it?

MisterB

Postby MisterB » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:10 am

LWP wrote:Don't know about boresights, never trusted them. You must be tinkering with your daughter's new .243, and the picture looks like you can remove the bolt and look through the barrel. Why don't you eye-sight it?

Because using a boresight will get him very close, so that when he sights it in the old fashioned way to complete the process, he won't waste half a box of expensive rounds

hkguy

Postby hkguy » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:29 pm

the bore sight you have pictured is what i used when i mounted scoped at the gun shop. typically bore sights will either get the wind-age or elevation right and in my experience its only going to save 2-3 rounds on the shooting bench. you would be better off putting the money towards a led sled.
NRA Member and Certified NRA RSO
IDPA & USPSA Member
Michigan Gun Owner Member

LWP

Postby LWP » Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:32 pm

MisterB wrote:
LWP wrote:Don't know about boresights, never trusted them. You must be tinkering with your daughter's new .243, and the picture looks like you can remove the bolt and look through the barrel. Why don't you eye-sight it?

Because using a boresight will get him very close, so that when he sights it in the old fashioned way to complete the process, he won't waste half a box of expensive rounds

I'm unsure if you understood what I meant by eye-sight. If he removes the bolt and sights through the bore by eye at a target 100 yds distant, it is often more accurate than a laser bore pointer because of tolerances in the laser device and its sleeves. This method can get to the 10 ring in three shots adjusting the scope.

jnic

Postby jnic » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:18 pm

My experience with bore sights for initial sight in has been spotty. I've used both lasers and the magnetically mounted Leupold and I haven't noticed any consistency between rifles. Looking through the bore and adjusting the sight accordingly as suggested by LWP has become my go to method for initial sight in. To me, bore sights are useful for changing optics and verifying zero. Of the one's I have I prefer the Leupold because it simpler. My pets on the other hand prefer the laser.

Rodeo Mike

Postby Rodeo Mike » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:02 pm

I've had folks at my place to sight in rifles that had bore sighted rifles, and I waste less rounds than that crowd without one. They want to start at 100 yards and keep cranking on the scope cause it's not on the paper until out of frustration they start pulling in the target until they hit my 25 yard starting point and at that time they've already wasted a half a box.

Zero at 25 yards, one round at a time. Then 3 shot groups at 50 and 100, set to expected rise at 100. 3 shot groups at 200 and 300 yards, adjust as wanted for trajectory. And re shoot every 50 yards back to map final trajectory. Fill out your note card.

Gets you real familiar with the rifle and round. It's also something I prefer to do by myself in peace and quiet. Takes several hrs so not to get the barrel too hot, so I'll do it over a couple days.
OVERKILL IS UNDERRATED

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:38 am

Thanks, all. I don't care for lasers and won't until they come up with one that will light up the target at 200 yards. The magnetic models leave too much room for error. Mount it too low and you adjust your elevation wrong. The arbor type should at least get you on paper at 200 yards, but I don't know enough to know which one is better. Looking down the barrel is a great way if you've a Ransom Rest and a pretty good way without one but you have to be at the range to do it. With the right boresight you can get on paper while sitting in your heated basement so that you aren't at the range this time of year starting from the beginning while trying to hold your rifle steady while shivvering.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

Rodeo Mike

Postby Rodeo Mike » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:56 pm

These guys thought they would be on the paper too with their boresighter
OVERKILL IS UNDERRATED

Return to “Optics & Sights”