Magnification range for yardage?

Optics, sights, and all sighting specific issues.
Nathan
Site Admin

Magnification range for yardage?

Postby Nathan » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:53 pm

Do most of you seem to support the 1X per 100 yard theory or is there another formula that you prefer? I'm shopping around for the best price on a Trijicon AccuPoint for my .458 SOCOM which is only a 200 yard rifle. I had originally planned to get a 1X-6X version, but I can same $400 by getting the 1X-4X version. The downside being that if I ever sold the SOCOM and wanted to put it on a .308 or larger, the 4X would be inadequate.
Thanks,
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

jnic

Re: Magnification range for yardage?

Postby jnic » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:16 am

I've never used a formula, always went with what felt right for the task at hand. Does the 1-4x provide any benefits other than cost? For example, weight savings. I sure both are perfectly adequate for the task at hand. That said, I'd prefer a bit more magnification. :twisted:

It just occurred to me that on my socom I have a 2-7X and my 458wm I have a 1-4x. Apparently, I not real consistent :lol:

hkguy

Postby hkguy » Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:18 pm

in the long run i think you would get more use out of the 1-6. the 1-4 would make for a fantastic 5.56 battle optic down the road too should you ever get out of the 458 socom and go that route.
NRA Member and Certified NRA RSO
IDPA & USPSA Member
Michigan Gun Owner Member

Hand and Steel

Postby Hand and Steel » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:47 pm

I prefer more magnification, but I tend to side with jnic on using what feels right for the specific time and place.

The reason I would go with more magnification is simply that my long distance eyesight is not the best at times, and it only gets worse when fatigue is present. Since most defensive shooting happens under less than ideal conditions, I would consider fatigue, distraction from painful injuries, etc. to be very real considerations which may effect your capabilities when they are needed most.
"Our great war is a spiritual war, our great depression is our lives."

Return to “Optics & Sights”