How Do You Rate FMJ Ammo?

Commercial defense and target ammunition.
Gunsmith

Re: How Do You Rate FMJ Ammo?

Postby Gunsmith » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:01 pm

The .380 shined in the Colt Pony as a 'pocket gun'. Nathan is right on calibers, but you will never get a reliable 9mm in a pocket size

Pickwick

Postby Pickwick » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:09 pm

verisimilitude wrote:No matter how you want to play with it, the .380 just makes no sense to me at all. The ballistics are dismal. You can find some studies that say the ballistics are "ok", but the ones that I count on say different. And the size between the .380 platform and many 9's is so small that there is just no reason to mess with it or to even mention it, which I won't do again.

And Pickwick, be very careful with the "girl" thing. I have seen some "girls" that could shoot circles around most guys and then kick your ass when they are done.

I know some of those girls…LOL! My statement was a general one... :D

Pickwick

Postby Pickwick » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:11 pm

Pocket guns are basically "gut guns." Fortunately, most self-defense encounters are at fairly close range, but I like to be able to reach out a bit and count on some accuracy. I sometimes carry a 2.5" J Frame .38, which is about as close to a pocket gun as I will get.

hkguy

Postby hkguy » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:06 pm

hkguy wrote:
Pickwick wrote:This may be slightly off topic, but I have a couple of students who are detectives or cops in a large city. They carry .380's for backups, but they only shoot FMJ's because they say the .380 does not penetrate enough for the HP's to do their job, plus heavy coats can screw up the hp's. I had not heard that before.

from the numerous ballistic tests ive watched on .380, on average FMJ's will penetrate 18+ inches through 4 layers of denim. .380 JHP's on the other hand will penetrate about 10 inches on average through 4 layers of denim. neither option is ideal.

found a typo in my post, neither is ideal
NRA Member and Certified NRA RSO
IDPA & USPSA Member
Michigan Gun Owner Member

hkguy

Postby hkguy » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:12 pm

Gunsmith wrote:The .380 shined in the Colt Pony as a 'pocket gun'. Nathan is right on calibers, but you will never get a reliable 9mm in a pocket size

Kahr PM9, MK9, CW9, Boberg XR9, Kimber Solo, & rohrbaugh r9 are all extremely reliable pocket-able 9mm that are marginally larger than the average .380's. be careful before making blanket statements
NRA Member and Certified NRA RSO
IDPA & USPSA Member
Michigan Gun Owner Member

Gunsmith

Postby Gunsmith » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:13 pm

hkguy wrote:
Gunsmith wrote:The .380 shined in the Colt Pony as a 'pocket gun'. Nathan is right on calibers, but you will never get a reliable 9mm in a pocket size

Kahr PM9, MK9, CW9, Boberg XR9, Kimber Solo, & rohrbaugh r9 are all extremely reliable pocket-able 9mm that are marginally larger than the average .380's. be careful before making blanket statements

A pocket pistol needs a holster (Especially striker fired) , and none of the above guns will fit in a pair of blue jeans.

Hand and Steel

Postby Hand and Steel » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:19 pm

verisimilitude wrote:No matter how you want to play with it, the .380 just makes no sense to me at all.

I tend to agree with you, but there are reasons.

1) Less recoil. People with small or weak hands who don't want to carry a mid-to-large size handgun are better off with a lighter recoiling gun. Take a petite young woman whose not "into" guns to the range and see which she handles better - a .380 Bersa Thunder or a 9mm Sig 938. If she's not comfortable with the more powerful gun on the range, how do you expect her to fare alone, in the dark, shooting one handed, probably from the hip, while scared out of her wits? While sharper recoil might not be an issue to most of us, there are some for whom it could be.

2) Straight blow back is accurate. Walther PPKs, Bersa Thunders, Makarovs, etc. are all surprisingly precise shooters for being so small. They couldn't fire from straight blow back with the higher pressure of the 9mm Parabellum cartridge.

3) Durability. 9mm is a relatively high pressure cartridge. While mid-to-large handguns can handle it perfectly, it's pretty hard on pocket pistols, especially the more popular ones which typically have aluminum alloy frames. A .380, on the other hand, is low pressure and pretty gentle on the gun. In slightly larger, all steel guns like Makarovs and CZ 82s (both of which fire a round comparable to the .380), expect the guns to last like a GP100 that's only shot with .38 Special target loads. Makarovs and their clones are notoriously difficult pistols to damage or wear out, and are still in the "subcompact" category of handguns. If you're of a survivalist mindset and you want a compact pistol that will last through the ages, this could be important.

That said my overwhelming preference is for 9x19mm and higher, but I've long since learned to keep an open mind about things.
"It is demonstrable that power structures tend to attract people who want power for the sake of power and that a significant proportion of such people are imbalanced — in a word, insane.” – Frank Herbert

"Welcome to Costco. I love you."

Pickwick

Postby Pickwick » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:48 am

I have a Beretta 84 F Cheetah .380 that I bought a while back. Holds 15 rnds. and is so accurate I take it plinking up in the woods just like I might a .22. It is bigger than most .380's, but still concealable in IWB. I carried it to Church a couple of times when I was wearing a light summer suit. But, like we all said, I am just not comfortable with .380 as a primary weapon.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:56 am

Under review. Will update.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

Return to “Commercial Ammunition”