crimping factory 9mm?

Commercial defense and target ammunition.
boomer92266

crimping factory 9mm?

Postby boomer92266 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:47 pm

i have a ruger lcr 9mm and while it hasn't jumped crimp yet, i still think about when it might. all my ammo is freedom munitions all 3000rds of 124 and 135 grain. i was wondering is there a way i could go through the ammo and crimp it tighter? if i could, what would be the cheapest way of doing it? thanks for any help.

hkguy

Re: crimping factory 9mm?

Postby hkguy » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:45 pm

9mm uses a taper crimp. i guess you could get a factory crimp die or some other manufacture crimp die and run it all through there. the problem your going to run into is that if you put too much crimp on the rounds, you will perferate the copper plated jacket of the ammo you have and cause further problems.

I really see no need to put additional crimp on there, i think it will only increase the potential for problems to arise. If you have not had any issues yet, i'd personally leave things as they are.
NRA Member and Certified NRA RSO
IDPA & USPSA Member
Michigan Gun Owner Member

Nathan
Site Admin

Re: crimping factory 9mm?

Postby Nathan » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:29 pm

hkguy wrote:I really see no need to put additional crimp on there, i think it will only increase the potential for problems to arise. If you have not had any issues yet, i'd personally leave things as they are.

Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

Return to “Commercial Ammunition”