The big dig

Commercial defense and target ammunition.
Nathan
Site Admin

The big dig

Postby Nathan » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:06 pm

If a man wanted to bury "tens of thousands" of rounds of ammunition, what would be the most effective container that would preserve the ammunition for decades? I've seen those small plastic vaults but don't want to have to buy 100 containers @ $20 each.
Thanks.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

lazyh

Re: The big dig

Postby lazyh » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:33 pm

I could store some in my garage for you and you wouldn't have to dig such a big hole.

yankeejib

Postby yankeejib » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:05 am

How about old disposed 7 gallon pool chlorine buckets with snap on lids? Load them, then drop a small cube of dry ice into them and put the lid on, but don't snap it all the way shut. The CO2 will displace the air from the bottom up and once it stops gassing, snap down the lid and you've got an oxygen free, inert, sealed container.
Sincerely,
Professor Stu Padasol

Doing what others find difficult is talent.
Doing what others find impossible is genius,
Why be difficult when, with a little more effort, you can be entirely impossible.

jeffhughes

Postby jeffhughes » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:16 pm

Buy a pallet of 50 cal ammo boxes. Way cheap when you buy them that way. SG Ammo has them sometimes.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:24 pm

lazyh wrote:I could store some in my garage for you and you wouldn't have to dig such a big hole.

That's pretty generous of you my friend!

...I'll make you the same offer should ever need to store your Python. :D
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:25 pm

yankeejib wrote:How about old disposed 7 gallon pool chlorine buckets with snap on lids?

Would you trust them to remain watertight underground?

drop a small cube of dry ice into them

I really like that idea regardless of container!
Nathan in Image

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:26 pm

jeffhughes wrote:Buy a pallet of 50 cal ammo boxes. Way cheap when you buy them that way. SG Ammo has them sometimes.

Would you trust an ammo can to be buried? I've recently started moving my ammunition from 100/50/20 round boxes into military ammo cans, but never considered burying the cans.
Nathan in Image

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:27 pm

Any reason not to buy 4" PVC pipe, glue on an end cap, fill with ammo, glue on another end cap and bury? Granted the pipe would have to be cut open but that can easily be done without damaging the ammunition. I could use a screw in end cap but that would have leak potential whereas the glued cap would not.
Nathan in Image

Hand and Steel

Postby Hand and Steel » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:39 pm

The PVC tube is the preferred option for many. No reason why you would have to stop at 4" though. I've seen much larger pipes lying around on job sites I've done work at. Personally I like the idea of packing ammo in vacuum sealed bags (like those used for storing food - good to have around for that reason, too) and then packing the bags in PVC tubes. Another way to go would be wrapping ammo cans in grease paper and then loading them into a wooden crate or plastic bin.

Of course, you could always call up FEMA and ask if you could have some of their plastic mass grave liners. Those wouldn't necessarily be bad for burying large amounts of ammo in. (Joke)
"Our great war is a spiritual war, our great depression is our lives."

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:03 pm

I've been considering a way to connect a standard HVAC service valve to the pipe and then using my commercial vacuum pump to pump it down into a vacuum. My only issue would be a way to seal the service valve to the PVC pipe.
Nathan in Image

yankeejib

Postby yankeejib » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:33 pm

Nathan wrote:
yankeejib wrote:How about old disposed 7 gallon pool chlorine buckets with snap on lids?

Would you trust them to remain watertight underground?

drop a small cube of dry ice into them

I really like that idea regardless of container!

That's how I'm storing/preserving rainy day dry goods. No oxygen = no rot, no bugs. Life hinges on rubber grommets, but I grease them up first to make them last.
Sincerely,
Professor Stu Padasol

Doing what others find difficult is talent.
Doing what others find impossible is genius,
Why be difficult when, with a little more effort, you can be entirely impossible.

lazyh

Postby lazyh » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:28 pm

Nathan wrote:
lazyh wrote:I could store some in my garage for you and you wouldn't have to dig such a big hole.

That's pretty generous of you my friend!

...I'll make you the same offer should ever need to store your Python. :D

You have first right of refusal on the Python should I ever decide to part with it.

LWP

Postby LWP » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:40 pm

Roto molded liquid tanks for direct burial come in all sizes, and you can have a sealed man-hatch on the top.
http://www.denhartogindustries.com/wp-c ... 96x299.jpg
You could have one big enough to climb down in. And hide? Oxygen could be purged with dry ice, or supplied with a 12 volt pump.
You might need a backhoe.
You could fabricate a .50 cal machine gun mount.

jeffhughes

Postby jeffhughes » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:56 pm

Please educate me.

With ammo in vacuumed sealed bags, inside the pvc as Nate describes, why purge the oxygen?

LWP

Postby LWP » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:20 pm

jeffhughes wrote:Please educate me.

Plastic bags won't last decads.
Even the oxygen inside the vacuumed plastic bags should be purged.
Oxygen is an oxidizer, meaning it will promote corrosion. And degradation of most materials.
The oxygen component of dry ice (CO2) is attached to the carbon component and therefore is not available for oxidation.
Most plastics are not oxygen impervious, oxygen molecules will slowly pass through.
Even the roto molded tanks will pass oxygen until inside and outside reach equilibrium. Some coatings will slow the migration.

Return to “Commercial Ammunition”