Ammunition storage

Commercial defense and target ammunition.
Nathan
Site Admin

Ammunition storage

Postby Nathan » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:14 pm

In addition to burying ammunition, I intend to make what I keep readily available more portable. I've dozens of ammo cans, both .50 caliber and .30. I can put 2,000 9mm rounds easily in a .50 caliber can (1,000 in the .30 caliber cans) if loose like shown above, or far less if left in the boxes due to so much wasted space.
What say you; loose or left in boxes?
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

MisterB

Re: Ammunition storage

Postby MisterB » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:27 pm

Why would there even be any doubt? They were already loose inside each box, so you're doing the same thing, just in a larger quantity. I don't see any problem, and you'll save space not to mention the ammo is protected from moisture and is more fire resistant than being in a cardboard box.

Manufacturers sell their ammo in bulk loose too, such as Remington with those giant buckets of 22 LR

LWP

Postby LWP » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:55 am

You can do that, but don't make the cans heavier than your family members can carry. I have 1000 .308 in one can, I don't want to move it around.
Also, you might want to avoid mixing brands.
Tape a box end on each can and also throw one inside.
Don't store the cans on concrete.
I always put several ziplock bags in each can so I can quickly scoop up some ammo and go to the range.
I don't unbox my premium SD ammo when I store it in cans.

hkguy

Postby hkguy » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:28 am

cans are great if you done have to move the ammo far or often. I store all of my reloads in surplus cans and they get very heavy, very quick. for bugging out, one 30cal can per person is reasonable to move.
NRA Member and Certified NRA RSO
IDPA & USPSA Member
Michigan Gun Owner Member

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:16 pm

Thanks, all. My only reluctance to store loosely in the cans would be rapid distribution if "the Indians surround the cabin". It's easier to pass out 100 round boxes than it is fistfuls of ammunition...but if it gets to the point that it becomes a valid concern I can always keep a few boxes out for distribution.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

MisterB

Postby MisterB » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:23 pm

Nathan wrote:Thanks, all. My only reluctance to store loosely in the cans would be rapid distribution if "the Indians surround the cabin". It's easier to pass out 100 round boxes than it is fistfuls of ammunition...but if it gets to the point that it becomes a valid concern I can always keep a few boxes out for distribution.

If that's your concern, then winchester white box target loads loose are far from ideal. I'd be for keeping 9mm HST's loaded in mags, and then stored in ammo cans. G17 17 round mags, and G18 33 round mags are excellent. You can share them between G17, G19, G26, and probably more. I've been buying more of the 33 rounders. Hell, I got another G4 G17 recently, in part because it gives me 3 more 17 round mags ;)

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:29 pm

Indeed; the same would apply for range sessions. While easier to distribute by the box, the efficiency of loose is worth it.
Nathan in Image

Hand and Steel

Postby Hand and Steel » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:56 pm

I keep "reserve" ammo in the cardboard box, loaded inside the ammo can - each can is lighter that way, the ammo is never touched and is therefore less likely to have any surface corrosion down the road that way, and it is better protected against being dropped and knocked around that way. It also makes it easier to know what's in each can, since I like to put both rifle and pistol ammo in some cans. The point about passing around boxes rather than loose fistfuls is also a good one.
"Our great war is a spiritual war, our great depression is our lives."

yankeejib

Postby yankeejib » Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:20 am

Nathan wrote:Thanks, all. My only reluctance to store loosely in the cans would be rapid distribution if "the Indians surround the cabin". It's easier to pass out 100 round boxes than it is fistfuls of ammunition...but if it gets to the point that it becomes a valid concern I can always keep a few boxes out for distribution.

You need more magazines.
Sincerely,
Professor Stu Padasol

Doing what others find difficult is talent.
Doing what others find impossible is genius,
Why be difficult when, with a little more effort, you can be entirely impossible.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:17 pm

40.jpg
40.jpg (111.83 KiB) Viewed 1229 times

I'm currently on my .40 caliber practice ammunition and I'm down the last thousand when I found that I had 900 left to put in a box. Since I couldn't seal a box with only 900 rounds I headed over to my local Cabela's to pick up another 100 to complete it. I felt much satisfaction as I opened the box to dump it in but then I saw that one of the cartridges is damaged.

There's just no way my OCD will allow me to seal this box with only 999 rounds, so it's back to Cabela's I go. :D
Nathan in Image

LWP

Postby LWP » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:38 am

999 vs. 1000
You have a problem.
Do you have a therapist?

Hand and Steel

Postby Hand and Steel » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:00 am

What company manufactured that defective .40 round?

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:27 am

LWP wrote:You have a problem.

The struggle is real. :)

Do you have a therapist?

Shooting is my therapy.
Nathan in Image

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:32 am

Hand and Steel wrote:What company manufactured that defective .40 round?

This was WWB, likely damaged during manufacturing as there was no damage to the outside of the box. This is the first defective round of WWB that I have ever had in hundreds of thousands of rounds. I've yet to find a damaged/defective red box federal load in tens of thousands of rounds. I'll get a defective Blazer Brass load about every thousand rounds but not enough data sample to be conclusive. I've only gone through about five thousand Blazer Brass and have found four or five duds and one suspected double charge (.45 ACP that recoiled like .44 Magnum) that luckily was discharged in an HK.
Nathan in Image

Hand and Steel

Postby Hand and Steel » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:28 pm

I've had a few defective White Box cartridge cases in the past and stay clear from that brand now. I'm also staying away from Blazer - brass or aluminum. The most consistent quality at the best price I've found is American Eagle. Sellier & Bellot hasn't done me wrong either. Remington isn't bad in my opinion, but it seems a lot dirtier than most brands.

MisterB

Postby MisterB » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:16 pm

By the way, try this
http://www.amazon.com/Case-Club-Magazine-Pre-cut-Military/dp/B00X81D98S/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1459040905&sr=8-2&keywords=ammo+can+magazine

It's a divider that drops in an ammo can, and holds 24 mags. You could stock up on Glock brand G17 mags, or get Magpul Pmag G17 mags. This gives you usable ammo for a scenario like the one you mentioned. Target ammo... much less target ammo not loaded in mags isn't really too useful for what you're wanting

Return to “Commercial Ammunition”