WWB 147 gr. Jhp

Commercial defense and target ammunition.
mpgo4th

WWB 147 gr. Jhp

Postby mpgo4th » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:34 pm

Nathan, back on the old forum you posted about some tests you ran with this round. I took away from them that it was a pretty good choice for SD. Could you refresh my memory as I have just picked up a box of it want it shots wel in my carry gun?

Nathan
Site Admin

Re: WWB 147 gr. Jhp

Postby Nathan » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:24 pm

The load has tested well. It's not my first or second choice but I feel perfectly confident depending on it and won't hesitate to choose it if my first choices aren't available (like if I'm traveling and the TSA loses my ammo).
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

mpgo4th

Postby mpgo4th » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:12 pm

Nathan wrote:The load has tested well. It's not my first or second choice but I feel perfectly confident depending on it and won't hesitate to choose it if my first choices aren't available (like if I'm traveling and the TSA loses my ammo).

Haha sounds like that has happened!

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:27 pm

mpgo4th wrote:Haha sounds like that has happened!

Almost. One TSA agent attempted to confiscate my ammunition because it was packed in the same hard sided box as my Glock 19 was. I stood my ground indefinitely (until after the police and eventually a supervisor got involved) and had the rules printed out in hand and almost missed my connecting flight but that asshole wasn't getting my HST. :D
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

mpgo4th

Postby mpgo4th » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:16 am

Good for you. The weapon I'm questioning the wwb for is a kahr cm9. I purchased this not too long ago and I've been regularly training with it. The problem is that when I train I always shoot at least the some carry ammo. Well in my own stupidity I ended up shooting all of my HST. The only carry ammo I have left in 147 is wwb jhp. Wasn't sure if that was a safe choice in a 3" barrel.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:24 pm

It's the safest choice for a short barrel. Modern hollow points aren't as dependent on velocity for proper expansion and the weight makes up for velocity.
Nathan in Image

hkguy

Postby hkguy » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:26 pm

mpgo4th wrote:Good for you. The weapon I'm questioning the wwb for is a kahr cm9. I purchased this not too long ago and I've been regularly training with it. The problem is that when I train I always shoot at least the some carry ammo. Well in my own stupidity I ended up shooting all of my HST. The only carry ammo I have left in 147 is wwb jhp. Wasn't sure if that was a safe choice in a 3" barrel.

http://www.sgammo.com/product/federal/5 ... -high-pres

http://www.sgammo.com/product/federal/5 ... mmo-p9hst2
NRA Member and Certified NRA RSO
IDPA & USPSA Member
Michigan Gun Owner Member

Q-Ship

Postby Q-Ship » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:40 pm

Nathan, based solely on your posts, I finally gave in and got a short barreled 9mm for CC. I broke it in with WWB and loaded it with 147gr HST after validating smooth function. Last weekend, I ran across some 150 gr HST micro (short barrel) at the World of Wally. I bought their only box, and found more tonight. Do you have any experience or warnings regarding this round?

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:00 pm

The 150 grain is even better. For a decade I've promoted using heavy loads in short barrels too while many believed in lighter/faster bullets to make up for lost velocity. When the premium ammunition brand develops a bullet specifically for short barrels, what did they do? They went heavy.
Nathan in Image

Q-Ship

Postby Q-Ship » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:05 pm

I'm an enginerd, so I fully understand the advantage of momentum over kinetic energy when it comes to penetration of a target. I just wanted to make sure that there were no reliability issues, not that I'd expect any from Federal. Thanks for the fast reply.

yankeejib

Postby yankeejib » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:53 pm

hkguy wrote:
mpgo4th wrote:Good for you. The weapon I'm questioning the wwb for is a kahr cm9. I purchased this not too long ago and I've been regularly training with it. The problem is that when I train I always shoot at least the some carry ammo. Well in my own stupidity I ended up shooting all of my HST. The only carry ammo I have left in 147 is wwb jhp. Wasn't sure if that was a safe choice in a 3" barrel.

I have no problem at all with the White Box JHP's. Not quite as glamorous a package as the double jewel cased boutique ammo, but it is a reliable and consistent round in it's cute styrofoam tray and cheesy boxes that don't stack without crushing. We used to have a member that worked for Wally and would give us a heads up on warehouse and shipping info (PING!).
Sincerely,
Professor Stu Padasol

Doing what others find difficult is talent.
Doing what others find impossible is genius,
Why be difficult when, with a little more effort, you can be entirely impossible.

MisterB

Postby MisterB » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:22 pm

Nathan wrote:
mpgo4th wrote:Haha sounds like that has happened!

Almost. One TSA agent attempted to confiscate my ammunition because it was packed in the same hard sided box as my Glock 19 was. I stood my ground indefinitely (until after the police and eventually a supervisor got involved) and had the rules printed out in hand and almost missed my connecting flight but that asshole wasn't getting my HST. :D

I'm still hung up on the fact that you've been on an airplane lol

hkguy

Postby hkguy » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:15 pm

yankeejib wrote:
hkguy wrote:

I have no problem at all with the White Box JHP's. Not quite as glamorous a package as the double jewel cased boutique ammo, but it is a reliable and consistent round in it's cute styrofoam tray and cheesy boxes that don't stack without crushing. We used to have a member that worked for Wally and would give us a heads up on warehouse and shipping info (PING!).

I agree, nothing wrong with WWB JHP's or Silvertips, i just cannot find them in my area so im forced to look elsewhere...
NRA Member and Certified NRA RSO
IDPA & USPSA Member
Michigan Gun Owner Member

Return to “Commercial Ammunition”