Inventoried your box lately?

Commercial defense and target ammunition.
yankeejib

Inventoried your box lately?

Postby yankeejib » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:21 pm

Inventoried your ammo box lately?
Things have been somewhat reasonable lately so I've been in the acquisition mode, and combined with my bulk purchases 6 years ago, I figure I have about 20X more ammo than I've ever squeezed off. It'll never lose value, so I'm buying some more tonight. The good stuff.
When I read about folks that can't find .22LR, I smile and go stare at my 28 boxes of 525 count Federal that I bought from the LGS for $18/box back when.
Georgia Arms has kept me in .40 and 9mm FMJ practice ammo for several years now 1K at a time. I have 8 cans on deck. I also get the heads up on Winchester White Box 180 gr. JHP from Wally World. Best bargain ever in pistol rounds.
Nate dropped the dime a couple of months ago on 5.56 M855, so I did four cans of that. Blammo, it was in the news the next week (as the "banned" armor piercing ammo, blah, blah, blah), and has now dried up. I also nabbed 500 9mm HST's last week (Thanks Nate!)
I need more .357 and something longer than 6" to blast it. Damn me, I wish I'd snagged that .357 lever action three years ago. Doh!
Sincerely,
Professor Stu Padasol

MisterB

Re: Inventoried your box lately?

Postby MisterB » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:30 pm

Awesome. Now, those same feelings and benefits are tenfold when you reload. I jokingly tell Nathan he should take up reloading, because at the very least, if the apocalypse DOES happen, he'd at least have something to pass the time while he sits in a storage container...

Pickwick

Postby Pickwick » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:12 pm

MisterB wrote:Awesome. Now, those same feelings and benefits are tenfold when you reload. I jokingly tell Nathan he should take up reloading, because at the very least, if the apocalypse DOES happen, he'd at least have something to pass the time while he sits in a storage container...

:lol: :lol:

samuelrp

Postby samuelrp » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:09 pm

A lifetime supply is all that's needed.
Maintain the sport. Take a kid shooting.

Montanapatriot

Postby Montanapatriot » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:53 pm

Brass is the most expensive component. Save every piece and learn to reload. It can be done for $150 dies included in single stage. Making 60 rounds in a couple hours is better than just having a 5 gallon bucket of brass in the garage.

hkguy

Postby hkguy » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:20 pm

Ive been on a buying quite a bit lately too, but ive also been shooting more. My big purchases go towards reloading as i can get about 2-3x the amount of the same money. Ive got enough supplies on hand to load up another 4k 9mm, 2k .38 spl, 2k .45 acp and 1k 5.56 in addition to my factory reserves.

it sure is fun to make 300-400 rounds an hour :D
NRA Member and Certified NRA RSO
IDPA & USPSA Member
Michigan Gun Owner Member

ridurall

Postby ridurall » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:48 pm

I'm not setting as pretty as I'd like to be. Just counted up .22 LR and I'm only at 6075 rounds. As far as .223 and .308 I'm only at 2500 rounds each and while I've still got plenty of powder and .223 bullets I'm almost out of .308 bullets. I'm going to have to spring for a mess of 168 grain A-Max soon. I've got 400 rounds of 45/70 loaded up and still plenty of bullets and a few hundred lbs of lead and tin to cast all the bullets I need. For 50 caliber I got smart and picked up plenty of API bullets quite a while back and I've got about 60 lbs of powder, plenty of primers and a couple hundred 800 grain bore riders and 750 grain Hornady A-Max bullets. The API are the most fun to shoot because I can afford to shoot them when friends want to shoot the 50. It does not cost me $5 to $7 a rounds when I'm using API and I can see where they hit when I'm shooting several hundred yards in the rocks. If the stuff hits the fan they are also a great vehicle stopper and will bust an engine block with one API. Having an 800' long driveway gives me plenty of room to stop a vehicle before it gets to my place. I sure need to kill a bunch more bugs to pay for the bullets I need. I've got lots of brass, primers and powder but Obama has sure made it hard to find what you need when you need it.

yankeejib

Postby yankeejib » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:42 am

ridurall wrote: The API are the most fun to shoot because I can afford to shoot them when friends want to shoot the 50. It does not cost me $5 to $7 a rounds when I'm using API

Nyuk, Nyuk. You bet! ;)

Sincerely,
Professor Stu Padasol

ridurall

Postby ridurall » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:54 pm

Yep Professor Good times in an otherwise difficult situation. I was spraying a neighbor of Randy's house today and we spent most of the time talking about him. I sure appreciate you playing TAPs for his funeral. Your a good man.

Return to “Commercial Ammunition”