Reloading starting guide

Discussions related to hand loading/reloading.
Nathan
Site Admin

Reloading starting guide

Postby Nathan » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:19 pm

Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

MisterB

Re: Reloading starting guide

Postby MisterB » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:32 pm

Does this mean you're finally going to start reloading?

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:17 pm

I shoot too much to try to reload for everything, but since getting into single action shooting sports, I'm going to have to load my own.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

MisterB

Postby MisterB » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:02 pm

Nathan wrote:I shoot too much to try to reload for everything, but since getting into single action shooting sports, I'm going to have to load my own.

You'll love making your own special brew 10mm's too

hkguy

Postby hkguy » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:00 pm

Nathan wrote:I shoot too much to try to reload for everything, but since getting into single action shooting sports, I'm going to have to load my own.

you dont need to reload every caliber you shoot. but if you got a progressive, you could load a few calibers like 9mm, 40, and 45 and crank out quite a few rounds in a relatively short time. my cost for 9mm is around 7 cents a round, same for .38 spl. ive just started reloading 45 and finally nailed down a load and can buy in bulk. i expect my cost to be around 20 cents a round. once i get the press prepped and very thing checked, i can usually load 300-400 rounds a hour.
NRA Member and Certified NRA RSO
IDPA & USPSA Member
Michigan Gun Owner Member

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:23 pm

MisterB wrote:You'll love making your own special brew 10mm's too

I have to admit that I would really enjoy being able to shoot more 10mm.
Nathan in Image

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:27 pm

hkguy wrote:my cost for 9mm is around 7 cents a round, same for .38 spl. ive just started reloading 45 and finally nailed down a load and can buy in bulk. i expect my cost to be around 20 cents a round. once i get the press prepped and very thing checked, i can usually load 300-400 rounds a hour.

That's awesome! Please share links for buying bullets/powder/primers/etc?
Nathan in Image

MisterB

Postby MisterB » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:43 pm

Reloading equipment:
Amazon
Midway USA
Cabelas

Bullets:
Cabelas

Powder and primers:
Find a good local gun/hunting store. They usually have powder and primers, and then you don't have to mess with hazmat shipping charges. Find a powder you like, and stick to it. When you see it in stock, buy some. Same with primers. Powder and primers sell out when there's an ammo scare like there was a couple years ago. I like Hodgdon CFE Pistol. Very clean burning. As anal as you are about cleaning your guns, you might be surprised after a range session, you may not see much (if anything) that needs to be cleaned. You'll also find it takes a ton of time to work up a new powder combination, so once you find what you like, you typically stick with it. Just saving you from buying tons of powder in all different brands until you figure out what you like.

hkguy

Postby hkguy » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:24 am

The keys to keeping prices low is buying components in bulk, but you can really only do this once you have your pet load figured out. the second key is to start saving your brass NOW!!!. my cost figures do not account for brass, i started my brass for almost a year before i started reloading and did not figure those costs in. the only brass i had to by was .38spl and even then it was cheap.

in my experience, cabelas will run decent deals on primers and powder, but are expensive when it comes to bullets and the selection is pretty limited.

for primers & powder
http://www.grafs.com/
https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/

every once in a while, Midway will run a special with free hazmat shipping, which is also a good time to buy, their prices are usually pretty competitive.

im fortunate and have a really good shop an hour away that has really good prices and selections for powder.

Bullets -
i bounce around quite a bit and it depends on who has the best prices at the time i need them, but i always buy by the case to get the best price.
http://xtremebullets.com/
https://www.berrysmfg.com/
http://www.bayoubullets.net/
https://www.ibejiheads.com/

xtreme has a brass credit program that can help subsidize your bullet cost since freedom ammunition needs the brass. you can send it in and get roughly $2 a lb in credit. they take brass for anything they reload too. just no aluminum or steel cases.

with as much as you shoot, i would look at dillon products over a single stage setup. the square deal press will suit your needs well if your only looking to reload .45 colt. If you think you are going to really get into reloading and want to load several cals, i would look into a Dillon 650 or a hornady LNL-AP..

the first year i started reloading i sunk $800 into getting my hornady set up and recouped the cost in less than a year (4,000 rounds at $110/k compared to buying factory ammo at $220/k). as a note this does not include the cost of your time. but given your son is what in his late teens now, he could easily help out too.

truth be told, i dont really save any money shooting, i still spend the same amount each year but for the same money i get about twice the ammo because i reload.
NRA Member and Certified NRA RSO
IDPA & USPSA Member
Michigan Gun Owner Member

Return to “Hand Loading/Reloading”