Why you should reload

Discussions related to hand loading/reloading.
Nathan
Site Admin

Why you should reload

Postby Nathan » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:30 am

Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

11bravo

Re: Why you should reload

Postby 11bravo » Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:09 pm

In theory you save money. In practice you just shoot more. Then you find you need more dies a better press ect. Then you get hooked on trying to load the most accurate ammo you can and spend way more on quality components than you ever would buying factory ammo. But it's fun.

hkguy

Postby hkguy » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:21 pm

11bravo wrote:. Then you get hooked on trying to load the most accurate ammo you can and spend way more on quality components than you ever would buying factory ammo. But it's fun.

that not been my experience. my pliniking ammo is half the cost of factory, if not cheaper. I only reload pistol ammo (9mm, .38spl, and 45). shit, my 38spl ammo is costing me around 7 cents a round to load and factory is running close to 40 cents a round. But when it comes to reloading obscure or less common big bore pistol you can get the cost down quite a bit. at the end of the day, yeah i shoot more and typically spend the same amount of money. for someone like nathan, he could save a boat load reloading .45 colt, .44 mag, .357 mag, .38 spl. depending on the machine he uses, it does not cost much for a conversion. It costs me about $100-$120 for a new pistol cal conversion on my LNL-AP press.
NRA Member and Certified NRA RSO
IDPA & USPSA Member
Michigan Gun Owner Member

11bravo

Postby 11bravo » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:33 pm

If you are only loading pistol ammo there isn't much point in loading for accuracy. Start loading rifle rounds for long range work and you wont save a dime. The cost of that doesn't bother me at all though. I can load far better ammo for my rifles than anything factory made. I'm not saying don't reload, I love it, but I spend the same amount as before. I just get to shoot more.

$100 for a new caliber? What all do you need other than dies? I'm still rocking a single stage but have looked into a progressive for plinking ammo for the ar's and handguns. Ill still keep my single stage for the long range loads but if it cost that much for a new caliber I might be better off staying with the single stage.

hkguy

Postby hkguy » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:40 am

11bravo wrote:
$100 for a new caliber? What all do you need other than dies? I'm still rocking a single stage but have looked into a progressive for plinking ammo for the ar's and handguns. Ill still keep my single stage for the long range loads but if it cost that much for a new caliber I might be better off staying with the single stage.

Shell plate for the press -$35
3/4 piece Caliber die sets - About $60
Lyman "M" Die - $25 (got it for .38's and .45's since i primarily shoot lead)

I could spend another $90 and get a separate case activated powder drop for each caliber, but im too cheap to and try and run 2-4k rounds per cal so i dont have to spend an hour or so switching over the press.
IDPA & USPSA Member

11bravo

Postby 11bravo » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:05 pm

Gotcha. So the dies are the main cost of a new caliber on progressive. Since I already have those for most the calibers I shoot it shouldn't be too bad. How do you like the horandy press? I don't know much about the progressives except I don't really want to pay for a Dillion set up.

hkguy

Postby hkguy » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:15 pm

11bravo wrote:Gotcha. So the dies are the main cost of a new caliber on progressive. Since I already have those for most the calibers I shoot it shouldn't be too bad. How do you like the horandy press? I don't know much about the progressives except I don't really want to pay for a Dillion set up.

my hornady works great! If i were to do it all over again i would get a dillion every time. The 650 is quite an exceptional value and their warranty is unmatchable.

the shell plates and the conversion kits for dillions are the most expensive part. i get the progressive die kits because they have bullet seating and crimping in separate operations. that and i like loading 300-400 rounds an hour "D
IDPA & USPSA Member

11bravo

Postby 11bravo » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:51 pm

Well damn, I was hoping to save a little money, but it would be worth it I guess as I don't even bother loading pistol ammo anymore on the single stage. 50 rounds an hour is just too damn slow. Even slower with the rifle rounds, but with exception of some of the 5.56 loads and the 300blk, I'm not loading for volume with rifles.

hkguy

Postby hkguy » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:15 pm

you will in the long run. :D

even if your bench looks like this :D

IDPA & USPSA Member

11bravo

Postby 11bravo » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:42 pm

I doubt I shoot enough pistol to ever come close to saving money loading for them. Rifle ammo wouldn't take long at all though. With the exception of the long range loads.

MisterB

Postby MisterB » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:42 pm

There's more to reloading, than just saving money. Remember, it was only a little over two years ago, that it was almost impossible to find 9mm and 45 ACP on the shelf. Reloading helps with this, because you are buying separate components, instead of pre made bullets, so you can just buy things as they are available (stocking up particularly on powder and primers). It makes it easier to stock up on ammo, and it gets you through the lean times. If you happen to see a good deal on pre made ammo, you can always get some - knowing that you can save that brass after you fire the rounds, and then add them to your brass supply to be reloaded.

Return to “Hand Loading/Reloading”