Get me started?

Discussions related to hand loading/reloading.
Nathan
Site Admin

Get me started?

Postby Nathan » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:06 am

I can remember melting down lead from a Ford tractor battery and casting .45LC bullets with my grandfather; this is the extent of my experience. Please cite sources for "reloading for dummies" as well as product links for reloading equipment. As with everything else, I either go all in or I don't go at all so show me everything I need to do this right, please. I'm not a price-point shopper but I do look for value. I want only quality components that will outlast me.
Thanks much!
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

MisterB

Re: Get me started?

Postby MisterB » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:03 pm

Nathan wrote:I can remember melting down lead from a Ford tractor battery and casting .45LC bullets with my grandfather; this is the extent of my experience. Please cite sources for "reloading for dummies" as well as product links for reloading equipment. As with everything else, I either go all in or I don't go at all so show me everything I need to do this right, please. I'm not a price-point shopper but I do look for value. I want only quality components that will outlast me.
Thanks much!

There is a guy who used to be on this forum, who taught me how to reload. It was all done via email back and forth, and then I watched youtube videos. He's a much better, more patient teacher than I would be with you ;) If you would like, I can send you his email address, so you can ask him if he'd teach you. I'm happy to help fill in with extra help too.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:16 pm

MisterB wrote:I can send you his email address, so you can ask him if he'd teach you.

Reach out to him and bring his ass back home.

Ron was always my go-to-guy on stuff like this; dang I miss that guy!
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

11bravo

Postby 11bravo » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:25 pm

Get in touch with ChrisT. He got me started walking me through stuff over the phone. Him and Pff where great helping me. Sadly Pat is no longer with us though.

hkguy

Postby hkguy » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:12 pm

get the ABC's of Reloading. it will cover everything you need to know and then some. If i were to do it over again i would get Dillion Equipment. Their NO BS warranty is just that. If your only looking to load one caliber, the SquareDeal press is the best value.

I can get you pointed in the right direction. I am not super well versed on casting. its not something i have time for currently

I will type up a comprehensive post for you nathan but i cannot this moment. answer the following and ill do my best to get you pointed in the right direction.

what calibers do you want to reload?
Cost a factor?
do you want to load in small batches or crank out volumes of ammo?

i can fill in the rest later.

NRA Member and Certified NRA RSO
IDPA & USPSA Member
Michigan Gun Owner Member

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:19 am

hkguy wrote:what calibers do you want to reload?

9mm/.40/.45/10mm/.44 Magnum/.357 Magnum/.41 Magnum/357 Sig/.38 Special/.45 Long Colt/5.56/.30-30/.30-06/.308/.300 Win Mag

Cost a factor?

Cost is never a factor; I shop for value over price-point every time. I don't mind paying twice as much of the product in question is really twice as good.

do you want to load in small batches or crank out volumes of ammo?

Volume. If I get into this, I'm going to go big. I still shoot at least 1,000 rounds a month and time is my most valuable asset and is the only reason why I have not started loading already.
Nathan in Image

Montanapatriot

Postby Montanapatriot » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:47 pm

Haven't checked in for a bit.
How's the reloading quest coming along.
As stated, read the ABCs. Buy or download the reloading manuals from each projectile maker, they have done their own research on their bullets.
For your needs you're going to want to get into a progressive machine.
All makers have them. Explore each. Dillon is hard to beat from all the love you hear about them.
Don't shy away from a single stage kit, it's great for low volume load development, which can then be transferred to the progressive.

moonie

Postby moonie » Tue May 09, 2017 5:03 pm

Get a good single stage press and learn the basics, get several reloading books. If you are interested in casting as well get the Lyman books on it. Once you have the basics down move to a Dillon to reload volume.

I've been reloading since I was 19, casting since 21, I'm 49 now.

I have Lee equipment but that is the bargain side rather than the best. Best piece of advice I can give you, don't start at the high end of listed loads as every firearm is different, start at the starting loads and work your way up.

www.castboolits.gunloads.com is a great resource for cast and you can certainly find help for reloading in general but be prepared to take a little grief if you ask for help with jacketed loads, but not in a bad way.

fyi, I'm also moonie there.

jeffhughes

Postby jeffhughes » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:04 am

If this is still of interest to you let me know. I was a commercial reloader for several years.

We can have those kids of your loading 5000 quality rounds on a Saturday afternoon.

yankeejib

Postby yankeejib » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:47 pm

Nathan wrote:
MisterB wrote:I can send you his email address, so you can ask him if he'd teach you.

Reach out to him and bring his ass back home.

Ron was always my go-to-guy on stuff like this; dang I miss that guy!

Yeah, I feel privileged to have spent a day with him in Oklahoma. That dude had an amazing wall full of handgun competition awards (that he never bragged about here) and he let me shoot his .50 BMG BOHICA. We went out to lunch after Randy Pinkhammer's service (another gun guru passed...RIP) at some Chinese buffet, and the first thing I spot is three chicks all OC'ing. All good stuff for the city slicker.
Sincerely,
Professor Stu Padasol

Doing what others find difficult is talent.
Doing what others find impossible is genius,
Why be difficult when, with a little more effort, you can be entirely impossible.

robalo23

Postby robalo23 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:59 pm

Comment on old post. Avoid lead bullets and casting your own. Buy Plated pullets. Barrys plated are great value. Dillon 650 press. I still load with a single stage pacific 007 press. but when i want to pump out rounds I make a 150mi drive to a friends house to use his dillon. Relaxing I can crank out around 300 rds a week. with his dillon we can do 2k in 6 hrs.

Return to “Hand Loading/Reloading”