Quality Safes

Securing your home, your office, etc.
hkguy

Quality Safes

Postby hkguy » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:52 pm

I am at the point where i can afford a quality home safe. I have been using the stack-on cabinets and i recognize their limitations. I am looking to spend somewhere in the 2000-2500 range (which i know is pretty much entry level) and im thinking i will need to get at least a 28-36 gun safe, not because i have that many long guns but because i want room to expand and store in the future.

Ideally, id like to avoid anything that can be had in a big box store. They work, but i was turned off by them (liberty) when i watched when the 180 rep put his knee behind the door and made it flex roughly an 1/8th inch having a 1" compost door. I have been looking at browning safes but i would like some input from ya'll on what you got and if there was anything you wish you had known prior to buying a safe. Also, is buying them used a good idea? I know ill have to get the combination reset but that is not my primary concern.

Digital v combination lock? I like the idea of quick access so that in theory the door could be used as hard cover in the event of an intruder situation.

thanks!
NRA Member and Certified NRA RSO
IDPA & USPSA Member
Michigan Gun Owner Member

Nathan
Site Admin

Re: Quality Safes

Postby Nathan » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:56 pm

Liberty Safes. I currently use a Browning as my primary safe but the more research I do the more I'm pleased with the Liberty line of safes.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

hkguy

Postby hkguy » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:32 pm

Nathan wrote:Liberty Safes. I currently use a Browning as my primary safe but the more research I do the more I'm pleased with the Liberty line of safes.

What impresses you most about them?
IDPA & USPSA Member

jmhyer

Postby jmhyer » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:33 pm

Don't have personal experience, but do a search for AMSEC and Sturdy.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:24 pm

hkguy wrote:What impresses you most about them?

Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

hkguy

Postby hkguy » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:39 pm

i have a dedicated safe/locksmith shop in town that i plan on visiting soon. Ill have to stop into work this weekend and take the back panel off a liberty and see if they have the anti pry tabs, that might sway my opinion.

this is where i got my background info, its a great video
IDPA & USPSA Member

ridurall

Postby ridurall » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:16 pm

Nathan wrote:Liberty Safes. I currently use a Browning as my primary safe but the more research I do the more I'm pleased with the Liberty line of safes.

Dittos Nathan, my first save in 1983 was a Browning Prosteel but it didn't have fire resistance. Later on in 2004 (about) I purchased a Liberty fire resistant safe for my higher end guns.

I do have to give credit to the Browning when our house was broken into in 1987. The only gun they got was our S&W Model 49 Body Guard that was not in the safe. They didn't even try to get into the Browning. Sure saved me a gun collection.

Chris C

Postby Chris C » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:07 pm

I let Glen Beck convince me to purchase a Liberty Lincoln when I was looking for a good safe. Glad I did, too. I don't remember exactly what I paid for it, but it was during a big sale and was so ridiculously low a price I got 5 of my friends to buy them too. Great safe. Will hold more firearms than I'll ever own and I'm pretty confident it's going to stay right where it is if someone thinks they can take it with 'em.............'cause they sure aren't gonna open it while they're here waitin' for the cops to arrive! :lol:
Chris

As a regular course of procedure, I carry a pistol because a cop is too heavy!

hkguy

Postby hkguy » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:46 am

well i went and looked at fort knox and AMSC safes. the overall craftsmanship as well as fit and finish was far superior to that of a liberty safe, even compared to the brownings i was looking at. I really liked the Rhino Ironworks safe too, but they were a bit more than i can afford now V(
IDPA & USPSA Member

Return to “Structural Security”