Quick access safes

Securing your home, your office, etc.
Abyss

Quick access safes

Postby Abyss » Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:33 pm

Can someone school me on quick access safes? I am sure some here don't advocate for them, but I'd still like to hear some thoughts/experiences. This would be for bedside use. I have young kids and often have nephews and nieces over unexpectedly. Any particular manufacturer that stands out? Biometric/fingerprint vs. keypad? Seems like this might be one product where simplicity might be best (i.e. A basic keypad from Gun Vault).

Nathan
Site Admin

Re: Quick access safes

Postby Nathan » Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:37 pm

I've bought many biometrics and have concluded that the only way to get a good one is to get a $300+ unit. The cheap ones are way too unreliable. My Gun Vaults always open first try. The keypads seem reliable.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

Hand and Steel

Postby Hand and Steel » Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:48 pm

Personally I think a safe with a key lock is best for quick access, so long as you keep the key on you. Better still is just keeping the pistol on you all day. What if the intruder you need the gun to deal with breaks in between you and your bedroom? At that point the best quick access safe in the world is practically useless.

Best
"Our great war is a spiritual war, our great depression is our lives."

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:37 pm

For those of you who need a fast access safe by your bedside, here is another option. It comes with a bracelet that you wear on your wrist when you go to bed. If you need your gun you reach for the safe and when you get over the top of it with your hand the safe opens.

https://www.thegunbox.com/

Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

hkguy

Postby hkguy » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:17 pm

gun vault makes some of the best "quick access" "safes". I dont see the need for the biometric locks unless you really want to spend twice as much. I got their enhanced gunvalut (GV1000D) that had a power supply with it. It was about $120 and i have it bolted to my wifes night stand. they work great to keep little kids and honest people out. they wont do much to keep a determined theif out, that is their limitation.

we the code is set to one my wife and i will remember and we can access the valult in less than 3 seconds. Keyed vaults would take much longer.

I actually had a customer come into the store a couple weeks and go and they prevented his daughters BF from allegedly stealing the guys gun.
NRA Member and Certified NRA RSO
IDPA & USPSA Member
Michigan Gun Owner Member

samuelrp

Postby samuelrp » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:16 pm

You've got to store those handguns somewhere. Gun vaults in several rooms works pretty well.
Maintain the sport. Take a kid shooting.

Return to “Structural Security”