Home automation

Securing your home, your office, etc.
Nathan
Site Admin

Home automation

Postby Nathan » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:15 pm

While researching options for a smart garage door opener I've found that what I really need is a home automation solution. I have an app to control my burglar alarm. I have another app to control my security cameras. I have another app to control my video doorbell. I have another app to control my thermostat. I have another app to control security lighting. The last thing I need is yet another app to control my garage door.
What I ultimately want is one home automation system where I can control everything with one single app. All I'm finding online is marketing fluff. I see home automation systems used in house flipping reality shows (The Vanilla Ice Project, currently on Netflix) but have no idea if they would be the best solution for my needs.
There has to be a standard by now that enables component compatibility but I don't know where to turn for reliable recommendations. Any informed opinions would be very much appreciated. I can find lots on Google but have no way of knowing fact from marketing and would really appreciate insight.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

MisterB

Re: Home automation

Postby MisterB » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:19 pm

samuelrp

Re: Home automation

Postby samuelrp » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:38 am

It seems to me that tech is lacking in this area. Although individual areas are good, they're not connected. By now, my refrigerator should let me know when my milk or beer is almost empty.
Maintain the sport. Take a kid shooting.

Return to “Structural Security”