house got tossed

Securing your home, your office, etc.
yankeejib

house got tossed

Postby yankeejib » Wed May 18, 2016 6:43 pm

My uninhabited NC house got ransacked and burgled yesterday. They had tossed the place. Cleared out the drawers and closets. Lifted the mattresses. The police called me from there and wanted to know if I had any guns in the house. #1 pistol was still in the hollowed out book on the shelf. #2 was still on a hook behind the nightstand. The rifle and the shotgun were still hanging on the bracket behind the fridge. Dummies. I only lost a TV and some power tools. They left the real silverware. Dummies.
Sincerely,
Professor Stu Padasol

Doing what others find difficult is talent.
Doing what others find impossible is genius,
Why be difficult when, with a little more effort, you can be entirely impossible.

Nathan
Site Admin

Re: house got tossed

Postby Nathan » Wed May 18, 2016 6:56 pm

Sorry to hear this! You maintain two houses?
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

yankeejib

Postby yankeejib » Thu May 19, 2016 7:21 am

Nathan wrote:Sorry to hear this! You maintain two houses?

Actually, three...I like options....
Sincerely,
Professor Stu Padasol

Why be difficult when, with a little more effort, you can be entirely impossible.

Ohio9

Postby Ohio9 » Thu May 19, 2016 10:45 pm

yankeejib wrote:

I hope I don't sound too harsh, but why leave that many guns lying out in an uninhabited house? Or any guns at all really? Whenever I leave my home, the only gun I will ever leave outside the safe is my Remington 870, and that's just because it's cheap and of much less effective use for criminal activity then a handgun would be. If I was going to be away for the house for a long time, I'd be sure to lock that one up too.

Hand and Steel

Postby Hand and Steel » Fri May 20, 2016 12:22 am

yankeejib wrote:Actually, three...I like options....

Smart man...

But why not leave the guns in a safe hidden inside of a wall or underground?
"Our great war is a spiritual war, our great depression is our lives."

MisterB

Postby MisterB » Fri May 20, 2016 8:42 am

Guys, obviously his method of gun storage stood up to a real burglary

yankeejib

Postby yankeejib » Fri May 20, 2016 9:45 am

Ohio9 wrote:
yankeejib wrote:

I hope I don't sound too harsh, but why leave that many guns lying out in an uninhabited house?

I always worry about restrictions on firearms and interstate travel in the case of an "event". I have plenty of ammo stashed as well. Not worried about that, but I just leave pieces up there that are hidden (it worked), quick/easy to access, and that I wouldn't lose a lot of sleep over if I lost them.

The good news is the police called me the next day to report they had recovered my property (TV, tools, small outboard motor). They were stashed in the woods adjacent to my property. Must have been kids. No car. No way to show up at home with stolen goods. I guess my summer project this year will be cameras. They broke in by taking out a window A/C unit. I guess I'll have to peg the sash. The house didn't even have window locks when I bought it in 2001. I've now done double dead bolts on the doors and casement locks on the windows, double bolted the shed, and secured the filler cap, drain and stopcock on the oil tank. Times change.
Sincerely,
Professor Stu Padasol

Ohio9

Postby Ohio9 » Fri May 20, 2016 9:53 am

yankeejib wrote:I always worry about restrictions on firearms and interstate travel in the case of an "event". I have plenty of ammo stashed as well. Not worried about that, but I just leave pieces up there that are hidden (it worked), quick/easy to access, and that I wouldn't lose a lot of sleep over if I lost them.

I wasn't asking why the guns were in the house, I was asking why they were not locked up in a safe.

The main concern wouldn't be having to replace them if they were stolen, it would be what the criminals who stole them would use them for. I wouldn't want my guns being used for criminal activity because I made it easy for burglars to get them. That's why the only guns I will ever leave out of a safe in any house I'm not in are basic long guns, the kind least likely to ever be used in crimes.

yankeejib

Postby yankeejib » Fri May 20, 2016 11:39 am

Ohio9 wrote:
yankeejib wrote:I always worry about restrictions on firearms and interstate travel in the case of an "event". I have plenty of ammo stashed as well. Not worried about that, but I just leave pieces up there that are hidden (it worked), quick/easy to access, and that I wouldn't lose a lot of sleep over if I lost them.

That's why the only guns I will ever leave out of a safe in any house I'm not in are basic long guns, the kind least likely to ever be used in crimes.

I've got safes in my primary residence. However, open conceal is quite effective and beats having two or three dumbasses destroying a safe or the floor as they take their sweet time admiring and removing your big metal box or it's contents.
Sincerely,
Professor Stu Padasol

Ohio9

Postby Ohio9 » Fri May 20, 2016 12:57 pm

I just figure your average burglar is more likely to be willing to put effort into taking the time to search an empty house then to break into a locked safe. Also the safe I use for my guns isn't easily portable. It weights over 300 pounds.

samuelrp

Postby samuelrp » Fri May 20, 2016 7:09 pm

Sorry to hear this. An event of this type can make a wife very nervous for a while. Hope they catch the trash
Maintain the sport. Take a kid shooting.

Return to “Structural Security”