We be having Mule Deer on my property

All things related to camping, hiking, hunting/trapping, etc.
ridurall

We be having Mule Deer on my property

Postby ridurall » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:56 pm

18 years ago when I weighed pretty close to 400 lbs I heard someone trying to rattle up a buck on our property. I hustled as only a fat guy can hustle and when I topped over a rise instead of a poacher there were two of the largest bucks I'd ever seen were just getting over a fight. It was opening day of hunting season and here I was breathing so hard I couldn't hold my scope on the biggest buck. I didn't want to wound him so I put my rifle down and watched him walk away. There was nothing to lean against and to much cattus to kneel down or set down. As I look back I was thinking it was a mule deer buck fighting a white tail. But as I get older my memory is not as good especially as excited as I was back then. I've been hoping that the mule deer will get started on our place and Saturday afternoon I saw a sure enough mule deer buck. Not big enough for me to shoot but I was able to positively identify him as a mule deer. I've owned the place for close to 20 years so it was pretty cool for me to see him. I just hope they get a good start. This bucks rack was 3 on the left side and 2 on the right. Hope he has plenty of fawns.

ridurall

Re: We be having Mule Deer on my property

Postby ridurall » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:57 pm

By the way I'm almost 250 lbs now. Had to cut down my belts and buy my bib overalls a bunch of sizes smaller.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:05 am

Did you shoot one this year?
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

ridurall

Postby ridurall » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:47 pm

Nope I saw plenty, usually about 5 to 9 deer a day but with my wife, son-in-law and son shooting deer there are only so many we can eat. I just didn't run into one big enough to suit me. I've still got till January 15 with my crossbow. I've reached the point where I'm really picky on what I want to shoot.

CharlieW

Postby CharlieW » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:41 pm

My son watches the deer feed in his garden from his second-story deck, but he can't take them because he is inside city (small town) limits. Here in the Midwest, there just seem to be a lot of deer this year, and they seem determined to run out in front of cars. We traveled to Minnesota last month, and over the 1200 mile round-trip we saw dozens of carcasses by the side of the highway.
Pragmatism -- the relentless pursuit of seeing things as they really are.

samuelrp

Postby samuelrp » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:24 pm

Yea, I'd trade a few deer for some quail.
Maintain the sport. Take a kid shooting.

ridurall

Postby ridurall » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:15 pm

Here are the last couple of good deer my daughter and son in law have taken. His was early this year in rifle season and my daughter's was last years muzzle loader season. She just had my grandson September 13th this year and the picture of him, my daughter and Sam's buck was Corbin's first ride in my Rhino. Hopefully he will have many more rides.

upload an image
photo upload sites

ridurall

Postby ridurall » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:19 pm

By the way I have several 10 to 20 count covys of quail on my place. I've jumped a bunch in several places on the property plus I often see them headed in to the feeder especially right after it goes off.

ridurall

Postby ridurall » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:33 pm

By the way CharlieW I grew up in Colorado Springs and hunting the mountains of Colorado. Back in the 1960s and 1970s it was hard hunting to find a good mule deer buck. My sister and lived in Colorado Springs since 1958. They own a house on what was the eastern side of Colorado Springs where I hunter rabbits as a kid. Now it's considered the center of the Springs and they are eat up with mule deer. She hates them because of the damage they do to her ornamental garden. I wish I could have spotted bucks like these when I was a kid. Image
free upload

samuelrp

Postby samuelrp » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:49 am

Good times. Enjoy them.
Maintain the sport. Take a kid shooting.

CharlieW

Postby CharlieW » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:47 am

Ridurall, awesome pic -- last time we were in Estes Park, there were Elk walking through town, and we got as close as in these pics to some at the YMCA Camp. The folks in Colorado told us that the Elk knew when hunting season was coming, and would hide, but the rest of the time they just wandered around.
Pragmatism -- the relentless pursuit of seeing things as they really are.

Tango 1

Postby Tango 1 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:47 pm

I hated quail when I was deer hunting! Scare the shit out of me several times.
When life gives you lemons, you make lemonade. When life gives you zombies, you work out your anger issues.

graceandtruth

Postby graceandtruth » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:37 pm

There seemed to be a lot of deer this year where I am at. We'll see what the winter does to the herd, but they were handing out doe tags like candy on halloween this year.
G&T
Primary Carry: Glock 23 in a CBST mounted on an SOE EDC belt

i12flytoday

Postby i12flytoday » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:56 pm

There have been a lot of Deer in Oregon this year as well. I have seen more than one truck get outfitted with a "bambie basher" reminiscent of something you would find on Nathan's truck in Montana.

ridurall

Postby ridurall » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:38 pm

My F350 has a very heavy duty "bull guard" on the front of it. The only problem is if the critter you smack flips over the hood to end up in the cab with you.

Return to “Wild Side”