Gun Shop owner killed

Incidents of shooting in defense of self or others.
Gunsmith

Gun Shop owner killed

Postby Gunsmith » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:15 pm

yarddog

Re: Gun Shop owner killed

Postby yarddog » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:06 pm

Done business with this shop. They are good people.

Gunsmith

Postby Gunsmith » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:42 pm

Yes sir Mr Yarddog

I can't imagine robbing a gunstore ... sort of like robbing a cop-bar. Now I put myself in the owner's shoes. I would have a 1911 behind every counter. And some sort of exit plan.

Situational Awareness is key .... you need to see the video tape from the store's cameras

riadat

Postby riadat » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:06 pm

Four pieces of shit alive and one dead hero, a tragedy.

yarddog

Postby yarddog » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:40 pm

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/cr ... 65716.html

Here's a little more info about the owners and suspects.

Ohio9

Postby Ohio9 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:43 pm

Gunsmith wrote:Yes sir Mr Yarddog

I can't imagine robbing a gunstore

People rob gun stores because of the assurance of big spoils. When you rob a store, a restraunt, or even a bank, you can never be 100% sure there will be a lot money in the registers. But when you rob a gun shop, you can always be sure that there will be a big payoff. Even if there isn't much money in the registers, there are plenty of guns you can steal to sell on the streets.

These guys probably thought a 4-man crew was enough to handle a gun shop robbery, but they thought wrong. It's a horrible tradedy, but at least the dead victim was able to protect his wife and take 4 robbers off the street, hopefully for good. The word hero is thrown around too often these days, but I think this guy fits the description just fine.

Gunsmith

Postby Gunsmith » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:24 pm

I guess Nathan is right about bigger calibers.

riadat

Postby riadat » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:23 pm

Nice looking couple. The system covers up for juvenile criminals and many who need to be locked up and are very hardened are out walking the street.

Gunsmith

Postby Gunsmith » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:13 pm

riadat wrote:Nice looking couple. The system covers up for juvenile criminals and many who need to be locked up and are very hardened are out walking the street.

Like feral dogs - hunting in packs. They got nothing to lose. No doubt they were hopped-up on drugs. Anyway, it really is a scary world.

ridurall

Postby ridurall » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:22 pm

I posted this on the old forum but here it is pertinent to the topic. When I was stationed at Pope AFB NC I worked part time at Cumberland Knife and Gun. At the time we used the "permit to purchase a handgun" system to keep from pulling out the handguns for all the GIs with too much time on their hands. This was back in the 1980's and GIs pulling the trigger on the revolvers would make a new gun look used. Anyway a good customer & wife came in wanting to look at a 1911 with Pachmayer grips, flat main spring housing and a bunch of other stuff on it but didn't have the permit. Since I'd sold him several guns in the past year I took my own 1911 out which was much like the one he wanted to look at. I unloaded my gun and handed it to him. When he got done he handed it back to me and as I put the magazine back in and a sorry looking black dude with a bowling bag and a 410 Snake Charmer came in the front door. Now this is Fayetteville NC and a gun shop so it didn't really set off my hinky button. As he walked up to me I chambered a round in my .45 and asked if I could help him? He kind of sucked wind for a second and then asked the price of ammo for the 410. I'm standing there with a loaded .45 in my hand and told him $5 a box or what ever it was at the time. He replied "never mind" and walked out.

30 minutes later he robbed Bragg Pawn just up the street. Of course I didn't know anything about it until I read Sunday's paper. When I did I called the Sheriff's department and they said "we need to talk to you". The guy that got robbed was so shook up he couldn't give a description but had a 410 ring on his chest where the BG shoved the shotgun into it so hard. The caught him a month later in NYC trying to sell the 36 handguns he stole from Bragg Pawn.

It would have been a pretty dumb move on his part to try and rob our store as we had 8 armed guys working that Saturday morning and all of us were either Special forces, competitive shooters or marksmanship training instructors. Of course that wouldn't have done me any good against that single shot but he wouldn't have made it out the door.

I just plain got lucky that day.

A few years later one of my customers that owned a pawn shop in Altus, Oklahoma got shot in the top of his head by a crack head when he reached into his case to show him some "bling". Killed him instantly and left his wife with a 4 year old boy to raise herself. They caught the BG an hour later on top of a roof trying to hide from the police about 3 blocks away. Ended up serving life in prison. The shop owner never had a chance. His mistake was taking his eyes off the bad guy. He was armed but had put the gun higher up to keep it out of the reach of his son. Should have kept his eye on the BG and been wearing his gun. That episode really made me think about situational awareness and I never know what part of town going to end up in.

Gunsmith

Postby Gunsmith » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:51 am

Professional robbers come at you fast, usually in pairs, and out of nowhere.

Return to “Defensive Incidents”