What would you do?

Incidents of shooting in defense of self or others.
ridurall

What would you do?

Postby ridurall » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:17 pm

One of my wife's coworkers commented today that his 24 year old daughter was at his house sleeping on the couch (after a divorce) and she woke up to a strange guy setting at the dining room table with gloves on. She freaked out of course as he scared the shit out of her and she put on clothes that were more appropriate for the situation as I guess she only had night clothes on and she called the police. I guess the guy was a known nutter and the police didn't even arrest him. Later when her father found out about this he grabbed his Glock and a base ball bat and went to the nutters house. He didn't shoot him or beat him to death but kept poking him in the chest with the end of the baseball bat to get the point across that the next time the nutter will be killed. He then drove to Lawton 60 miles away. When he got home at 9pm and there were no police, he figured the nutter didn't call them. My wife is pretty upset with the new chief of police that nothing was done. I guess this guy has a history of this but so far he has not hurt anyone. However that is not the point. I think this is the type of guy that needs to be locked up for his own protection. One of these days someone is going to shoot him when he scares the crap out of them. Then they will unnecessarily be put in the position of having to live with shooting this guy and have their life turned upside down. Wouldn't you think that more charges could be brought against the crazy guy?

hkguy

Re: What would you do?

Postby hkguy » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:09 pm

get a personal protection/restraining order.... is about all you can for now im afraid
NRA Member and Certified NRA RSO
IDPA & USPSA Member
Michigan Gun Owner Member

Pickwick

Postby Pickwick » Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:49 am

Yeah, get the order, then next time shoot him.

Hand and Steel

Postby Hand and Steel » Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:32 pm

Did he break in, or did someone leave doors or windows unlocked? Did he know the family from beforehand, or did he pick their house at random?

ridurall wrote:I think this is the type of guy that needs to be locked up for his own protection.

So you really want to be paying for this guy? :roll:

hkguy wrote:get a personal protection/restraining order.... is about all you can for now im afraid

Because that will stop him how?
"Our great war is a spiritual war, our great depression is our lives."

hkguy

Postby hkguy » Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:33 pm

Hand and Steel wrote:Did he break in, or did someone leave doors or windows unlocked? Did he know the family from beforehand, or did he pick their
hkguy wrote:get a personal protection/restraining order.... is about all you can for now im afraid

it wont, and we all know that. legally at this point, its probably the only option for recourse. unless, you have a more constructive suggestion.

might was well recommend she get her permit if she does not have it already, get a service caliber handgun to keep at her side too. a good knife and mace/oc spray would not hurt either. you can never be too prepared and im sure Ron has covered this already.
IDPA & USPSA Member

Hand and Steel

Postby Hand and Steel » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:00 pm

Hkguy, I think you just offered up the "more constructive suggestion". :)

hkguy

Postby hkguy » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:11 pm

Hand and Steel wrote:Hkguy, I think you just offered up the "more constructive suggestion". :)

at this point its presuming the individual described in the OP is open to the idea and can legally posses said items. though unless any of the items from my previous post are on her person at the time of the encounter, its all for naught.

Though back to Ron's original question, if the lady is armed and trained, that is great, she can potentially protect herself should the situation arise again. However, it does little to modify the unacceptable behavior of the perp that the local LEO's seem to believe is acceptable. which ron is suggesting that an arrest might modify the perp's behavior.

a ppo/restraining order should ensure that should the perp do that again and live, he ought to be arrested. just my 2c.
IDPA & USPSA Member

Tye

Postby Tye » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:07 pm

Hand and Steel wrote:Did he break in, or did someone leave doors or windows unlocked? Did he know the family from beforehand, or did he pick their house at random?

ridurall wrote:I think this is the type of guy that needs to be locked up for his own protection.

So you really want to be paying for this guy? :roll:

Yeah, suggest locking the door and getting a dog that barks.
Best regards,

Tye

Hand and Steel

Postby Hand and Steel » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:52 pm

hkguy wrote:Though back to Ron's original question, if the lady is armed and trained, that is great, she can potentially protect herself should the situation arise again. However, it does little to modify the unacceptable behavior of the perp that the local LEO's seem to believe is acceptable. which ron is suggesting that an arrest might modify the perp's behavior.

a ppo/restraining order should ensure that should the perp do that again and live, he ought to be arrested. just my 2c.

In most cases a legal order like that can only be issued if the individual in question has assaulted or threatened the victim. In several states the order cannot be issued unless charges have already been filed. In this situation, the lady in question either needs to exercise basic common sense personal safety measures, or go armed all the time. Preferably both. And hopefully she learns to make it a permanent habit from this experience - she was lucky that the creep in this situation didn't do any more than menace her.

Best

ridurall

Postby ridurall » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:45 pm

The young lady in question was not armed and was asleep on the couch in typical night clothes (not much clothing) and temporally staying with her parents after a separation. You can bet my wife and I suggested she needs to arm herself and we both wonder why she didn't have a weapon close. One problem is that she works at a cell phone company where she cannot carry full time. I wonder how many people die each year because of stupid liberal demands that prevent people from carrying at work which I believe steers them away from full time carry as a habit. I know in Oregon those 10 folks killed could have been cut short if it had not been a stupid "gun free zone". As for what arresting the guy could have done, I think I didn't state what I felt as well as I should have. What I mean is that if the guy is so nutty that he can't be trusted to stay out of a neighbors house then he should be in an institution for the mentally ill. We all know just a simple arrest for whatever is not enough to teach people not do commit crime. The dude that shot up the school in Oregon was obviously nuts, so much so that he was still living with his mother at age 26 in her basement and she was buying guns for him. The system is broke since the liberals forced the mentally ill hospitals to open their doors and let the nuts loose.

Return to “Defensive Incidents”