"Pokemon Go!" gamer gets into a shootout with robber

Incidents of shooting in defense of self or others.
Ohio9

"Pokemon Go!" gamer gets into a shootout with robber

Postby Ohio9 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:06 pm

Good thing one of the guys in this gang was armed or this could have been a lot worse

http://www.fox5vegas.com/story/32522381 ... ers-robber

I've been following the "Pokémon Go!" craze for weeks now. It's resulted in some odd incidents to say the least.

Hand and Steel

Re: "Pokemon Go!" gamer gets into a shootout with robber

Postby Hand and Steel » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:12 am

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to play Pokemon Go." x(
"If everybody in the world today had a flower instead of a gun, there would be no wars!" - The Producers
"Women should always wear tight clothing and men should carry powerful handguns." - Calvin & Hobbes

yankeejib

Postby yankeejib » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:40 pm

El vez?
Sincerely,
Professor Stu Padasol

Doing what others find difficult is talent.
Doing what others find impossible is genius,
Why be difficult when, with a little more effort, you can be entirely impossible.

Ohio9

Postby Ohio9 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:50 am

Hand and Steel wrote:"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to play Pokemon Go." x(

I do find it amusing that a video game that actually forces the players to go outside and experience the world is receiving so much criticism.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:18 pm

Ohio9 wrote:I do find it amusing that a video game that actually forces the players to go outside and experience the world is receiving so much criticism.

TRANSLATION --> "I play Pokemon Go". :D
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

Ohio9

Postby Ohio9 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:58 pm

Nathan wrote:
Ohio9 wrote:I do find it amusing that a video game that actually forces the players to go outside and experience the world is receiving so much criticism.

No I don't actually. Pokemon is one of the few anime franchises I'm not very familiar with.

yankeejib

Postby yankeejib » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:03 pm

For some reason, one of my local parks here in Tampa (Ballast Point) is the Pokieman motherlode of "targets"? There has been overflow parking 24/hrs/day and all manner of dumbasses wandering around all day onto the adjacent properties with their faces glued to their phone screens. The neighbors are pissed. The city attorney contacted Nintendo to desist. No answer yet. The neighbors have organized, documented damages, and will soon go for the deep pockets/settlement. I just can't help but think what would happen if these "gamers" applied such effort and time to something meaningful. I don't think they realize how fucking stupid they look/are.
Sincerely,
Professor Stu Padasol

Why be difficult when, with a little more effort, you can be entirely impossible.

Hand and Steel

Postby Hand and Steel » Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:24 pm

yankeejib wrote:I just can't help but think what would happen if these "gamers" applied such effort and time to something meaningful. I don't think they realize how fucking stupid they look/are.

Unfortunately I think most of the generation you're talking about don't know what "something meaningful" might be. I guess we have the generations who raised them to thank in part for that. So much easier I guess to run around racking up points on a game (and giving the social engineers loads of real time human engineering data in the process) than to begin the process of even asking themselves what something meaningful they could do with their lives is.

Strangely, even if the technology for this game was available ten years ago, I doubt that back then nearly this many teens and adults would be spending their time on something this vapid and childish. It seems that in the last few years things have just gotten so unbelievably stupid in general. How did it happen so quickly? How are the people of 2016 less mature than they were a decade ago? Seriously, it seems to me that the 26 year olds of today are actually less mature than they were when they were 16. How did at least two generations go backwards instead of forwards? Is it radiation from Fukishima killing off brain cells? Is the water more fluoridated now than it was a few years ago? Is it carefully orchestrated social engineering? Or is it just the fall of Rome?
"If everybody in the world today had a flower instead of a gun, there would be no wars!" - The Producers
"Women should always wear tight clothing and men should carry powerful handguns." - Calvin & Hobbes

Ohio9

Postby Ohio9 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:57 pm

As an avid video gamer (but not a player of this game), my feelings are mixed on the subject. As long as someone holds down a job and supports themselves and any dependents they might have, I don't have a problem with whatever legal things they find to be entertaining on their own time, and video games are as valid a form of entertainment as any other.

Furthermore, I like the idea of this game: That it forces players to go outside, travel, and experience other people in the real world. For video games in general, that's a positive trend.

Sadly, it's clear that this good concept has been corrupted by way too many idiots who feel this game gives them a free pass to trespass on or even damage private property. This is by no means the only time a good idea has been ruined by bad people. What's clear is that the designers of this game and the respectable players need to start pushing a heavy message that the norms of basic social interaction and respect for other people's spaces need to be maintained.

I see no reason why this game can't exist in a world where private property rights are still properly respected, and if that was the case then there really wouldn't be anything to complain about.

yankeejib

Postby yankeejib » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:11 am

Easter egg hunts for vapid adults?
Sincerely,
Professor Stu Padasol

Scott Durall

Postby Scott Durall » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:21 pm

Nathan wrote:

Haha my dad would have laughed his butt off about all this poki crap and how it's going and getting all these people to walk around

Scott Durall

Postby Scott Durall » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:29 pm

Hand and Steel wrote:
yankeejib wrote:I just can't help but think what would happen if these "gamers" applied such effort and time to something meaningful. I don't think they realize how fucking stupid they look/are.

Unfortunately I think most of the generation you're talking about don't know what "something meaningful" might be. I guess we have the generations who raised them to thank in part for that. So much easier I guess to run around racking up points on a game (and giving the social engineers loads of real time human engineering data in the process) than to begin the process of even asking themselves what something meaningful they could do with their lives is.

Strangely, even if the technology for this game was available ten years ago, I doubt that back then nearly this many teens and adults would be spending their time on something this vapid and childish. It seems that in the last few years things have just gotten so unbelievably stupid in general. How did it happen so quickly? How are the people of 2016 less mature than they were a decade ago? Seriously, it seems to me that the 26 year olds of today are actually less mature than they were when they were 16. How did at least two generations go backwards instead of forwards? Is it radiation from Fukishima killing off brain cells? Is the water more fluoridated now than it was a few years ago? Is it carefully orchestrated social engineering? Or is it just the fall of Rome?

The people raising these kids plays a big part in all of this I know that I can't stand the game there are people at our parks all times of the night and not worrying about okay if I get off my butt and get a job and work just as hard as I play game where will it get me I many be 15 but my father even though he is gone now left me with a lot more knowledge about getting out and doing something good with my time this summer I worked for one month 10 hours a day for 10 a hour for a month with the money I did have saved up and the money my mom got for my fathers bike which was a very hard thing to let go of for me but she didn't want me on it and there wasn't much of doing that I bought a new 4 wheeler that's a little bit of a nice machine it being a polaris scrambler 850

Ohio9

Postby Ohio9 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:48 pm

Well here is how one country deals with the issue:

http://www.motherjones.com/media/2015/0 ... ter-photos

Hand and Steel

Postby Hand and Steel » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:53 pm

Scott Durall wrote:The people raising these kids plays a big part in all of this

:idea: Or perhaps more precisely the people not raising their kids, if you take my meaning.

Ohio9 wrote:Well here is how one country deals with the issue

And we notice that no one in China is addicted to the internet now... good going, big government.
They've actually had these torture facilities for over a decade, and I doubt that they have done much except to provide jobs for sadistic bureaucrats.

Ohio9

Postby Ohio9 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:01 pm

Hand and Steel wrote:And we notice that no one in China is addicted to the internet now... good going, big government.
They've actually had these torture facilities for over a decade, and I doubt that they have done much except to provide jobs for sadistic bureaucrats.

The funny thing is, the Chinese government practices strict control over the internet, probably more so then any other nation outside of North Korea. And the result is a major problem with internet addiction. Great job guys.

Return to “Defensive Incidents”