Home invasion shootout caught on camera, 1 vs 3

Incidents of shooting in defense of self or others.
Ohio9

Home invasion shootout caught on camera, 1 vs 3

Postby Ohio9 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:10 am

Nathan
Site Admin

Re: Home invasion shootout caught on camera, 1 vs 3

Postby Nathan » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:43 pm

Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

Ohio9

Postby Ohio9 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:37 pm

One point of criticism I do have is that she should have made use of cover or concealment instead of doing a Leeroy Jenkins charge:

But I really can't fault her performance in light of the final result.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:50 pm

Ohio9 wrote:One point of criticism I do have is that she should have made use of cover or concealment instead of doing a Leeroy Jenkins charge:

Agreed; people react differently to adrenaline. I'm just gonna celebrate this warrior for what she is. She charged into the face of danger like a Rhino (albeit somewhat recklessly) and the only way it would have ended any better would be if they were hauling all three of them to the coroner.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

hkguy

Postby hkguy » Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:56 pm

there was no "cover" unless you count cardboard boxes and drywall as good cover. she made decent use of concealment.
NRA Member and Certified NRA RSO
IDPA & USPSA Member
Michigan Gun Owner Member

Ohio9

Postby Ohio9 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:42 pm

Nathan wrote: She charged into the face of danger like a Rhino.

Agreed. The way she charged right in and wasn't deterred in the slightest by their gunfire was truly awe inspiring, even if it might not have been the best move from a tactical standpoint. But I suppose if you want to get 3 armed invaders to wet themselves and flee, that's one way to do it.

hkguy wrote: she made decent use of concealment.

That's debatable. There are parts of the video where you can see her standing out in the open. The scariest part of the video is at 0:39. At that point, two invaders run off in separate directions and she charges after one while ignoring the other. That could have been disaster if the other guy decided to go back to help his buddies.

But again, I am not trying to be a harsh critic. If I am ever in that situation, I can only hope I will perform as well as she did.

hkguy

Postby hkguy » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:49 pm

Ohio9 wrote:
hkguy wrote: she made decent use of concealment.

That's debatable. There are parts of the video where you can see her standing out in the open. The scariest part of the video is at 0:39. At that point, two invaders run off in separate directions and she charges after one while ignoring the other. That could have been disaster if the other guy decided to go back to help his buddies.

But again, I am not trying to be a harsh critic. If I am ever in that situation, I can only hope I will perform as well as she did.

later in the clip, the one that ran off to the left (at 0:39) ran through a glass sliding door at 1:13-1:15 in the video and later died from doing so. the worst thing she did was proceed to clear the rest of the house with an empty gun.
IDPA & USPSA Member

Ohio9

Postby Ohio9 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:58 pm

hkguy wrote:later in the clip, the one that ran off to the left (at 0:39) ran through a glass sliding door at 1:13-1:15 in the video and later died from doing so. the worst thing she did was proceed to clear the rest of the house with an empty gun.

He wasn't dead at the time she chased the others. When you are confronted with multiple invaders and then run in different directions, chasing one while ignoring the other is not a good idea.

In regard to "Clearing the rest of the house with an empty gun", we don't know if there were any spare mags in the house. Remember it wasn't her house. So it might not have even been her gun she was using, and she might not have known where the spare mags were. I don't think there is enough information to make a judgement on this issue.

hkguy

Postby hkguy » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:19 pm

Ohio9 wrote:
hkguy wrote:later in the clip, the one that ran off to the left (at 0:39) ran through a glass sliding door at 1:13-1:15 in the video and later died from doing so. the worst thing she did was proceed to clear the rest of the house with an empty gun.

He wasn't dead at the time she chased the others. When you are confronted with multiple invaders and then run in different directions, chasing one while ignoring the other is not a good idea.

In regard to "Clearing the rest of the house with an empty gun", we don't know if there were any spare mags in the house. Remember it wasn't her house. So it might not have even been her gun she was using, and she might not have known where the spare mags were. I don't think there is enough information to make a judgement on this issue.

seriously? your going to give her a pass on emptying her gun and then proceed to clear the space but crucify her for leaving a flank exposed? what if the dirt bags came back? just like you mentioned earlier, not a good idea to ignore the notion that they could come back to help. if they would have, she would have been up shit creek with an empty gun.
IDPA & USPSA Member

Ohio9

Postby Ohio9 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:12 pm

hkguy wrote:seriously? your going to give her a pass on emptying her gun and then proceed to clear the space.

Again, we don't know if she had spare ammo. After all it wasn't her house. If she did have spare ammo, then yes I would agree it was an error not to go for it once the guys fled.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:32 pm

Under her adrenaline dump, she likely could not even process that she was out of ammunition.

My only real criticism was shooting out the door into the neighborhood. If she want hitting them while ten feet away, the bullets into the neighborhood were a spray.
Nathan in Image

Hand and Steel

Postby Hand and Steel » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:12 pm

Great example of people under the psychological and physiological effects of immediate danger.
"Our great war is a spiritual war, our great depression is our lives."

Return to “Defensive Incidents”