Footage of mall mass-stabber being shot by off duty cop

Incidents of shooting in defense of self or others.
Ohio9

Footage of mall mass-stabber being shot by off duty cop

Postby Ohio9 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:21 pm

The guy was shot 6 times and still kept going for a while. Keep in mind, the good guy in this video isn't just a cop, he also owns a firearms training school. So I doubt poor shot placement was an issue. Something to consider.

samuelrp

Re: Footage of mall mass-stabber being shot by off duty cop

Postby samuelrp » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:47 pm

I know the sister of a guy, who owns a jewelry store. He shot a robber point blank with with a shotgun using buck shot. All pellets hit the robber, but a heavy coat allowed the robber to turn and walk out. Fearing that the armed robber would shoot someone in the store, a second shot to the back stopped him.
Maintain the sport. Take a kid shooting.

MisterB

Postby MisterB » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:28 pm

This scenario reinforces multiple points:
1. Carry a proper caliber, with good quality hollow point rounds
2. Carry as many bullets as feasible
3. Avoid malls if possible
4. Avoid traveling to Minnesota. Their acceptance of out of state permits is awful. I have literally gone out of my way when traveling to Indiana to bypass that state because of it.

Ohio9

Postby Ohio9 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:27 am

MisterB wrote:This scenario reinforces multiple points:

I don't know about this one. I don't think malls are exceptionally dangerous in regard to mass killing attacks. Sure there are plenty of targets, but there are also plenty of exits. Plus they often have armed security or cops present. And the the sheer number of people present nearly ensures an armed person will be there, especially in a CCW friendly state.

MisterB

Postby MisterB » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:16 am

Ohio9 wrote:
MisterB wrote:This scenario reinforces multiple points:

I don't know about this one. I don't think malls are exceptionally dangerous in regard to mass killing attacks. Sure there are plenty of targets, but there are also plenty of exits. Plus they often have armed security or cops present. And the the sheer number of people present nearly ensures an armed person will be there, especially in a CCW friendly state.

Have to disagree with you. I have definitely noticed a trend over the years with malls being chosen as a place for someone to try a mass shooting. They are soft targets, with lots of people inside a building (you even admitted to the sheer number of people present). In fact, I was at a mall with my family just the day before a major mass shooting took place in around 2007.

As for mall security, please. Most of them have little more than a flashlight on them. And, just because the sheer number of people means there is likely to be a CCW holder doesn't comfort me, because I would likely be that guy and I would prefer not to deal with a shooting if I don't have to.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:37 am

Malls and gun free zones are like watering holes....it's where predators go to find prey.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:43 am

MisterB wrote:As for mall security, please. Most of them have little more than a flashlight on them.

I take it you are unfamiliar with the legend of Gecko45? :D

http://lonelymachines.org/mall-ninjas/

....I hear those tactical mall units all carry Sig Legion series now. :D
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

Ohio9

Postby Ohio9 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:17 pm

MisterB wrote:Have to disagree with you. I have definitely noticed a trend over the years with malls being chosen as a place for someone to try a mass shooting.

Yes but they are also places where mass shootings have been thwarted. This is not the first time I've seen a mass attack defeated by an armed person on scene.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/police-off- ... s-in-mall/

Perhaps that's the reason why no organized terrorist attacks have targeted American malls yet, only an occasional lone nut.

MisterB wrote:As for mall security, please. Most of them have little more than a flashlight on them. And, just because the sheer number of people means there is likely to be a CCW holder doesn't comfort me, because I would likely be that guy and I would prefer not to deal with a shooting if I don't have to.

True, most security at malls continues to be unarmed, despite the utter absurdity of doing so. But not all are. And there is usually at least one cop there somewhere doing something.

And yeah, we'd all prefer to avoid being in that situation, I just don't think it's likely enough to happen as to be a reason to avoid using malls. It's still exceptionally rare, and if it does happen there are plenty of exits, and a high chance of armed good guys around. As such, I just don't feel particularly vulnerable while I'm there.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:35 am

Ohio9 wrote:I don't think malls are exceptionally dangerous in regard to mass killing attacks.

Nathan in Image

Ohio9

Postby Ohio9 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:35 am

That video covers "Gun Free" malls. Thankfully that doesn't apply to any mall in my area. If it did I would avoid them as I avoid all gun free zones except when going to them is a necessity.

LWP

Postby LWP » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:23 pm

When necessary for me to be there, I carry in gun free zones. Concealed is concealed, and there is no penalty in Colorado except to leave if asked. Except of course Federal and some State and county buildings. Did you know the many National Forrest offices around the country prohibit guns?

Ohio9

Postby Ohio9 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:37 pm

As a cop, state law allows me to carry in most "gun free zones" no matter what any sign says. However, I still prefer to avoid them on principle.

samuelrp

Postby samuelrp » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:04 pm

Mall's around here are fun free zones
Maintain the sport. Take a kid shooting.

Hand and Steel

Postby Hand and Steel » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:18 pm

LWP wrote:Did you know the many National Forrest offices around the country prohibit guns?

I have seen the signs while exploring various locations. I'm sure it makes everyone much safer. :roll:
"Our great war is a spiritual war, our great depression is our lives."

Return to “Defensive Incidents”