Page 1 of 1

Security guard thwarts a bank robbery

Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:51 am
by Ohio9
Man talk about brazen. The robbers here are not deterred by either the security door nor the visible presence of an armed guard. The ensuing events show why they should have been.


Re: Security guard thwarts a bank robbery

Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:35 pm
by Nathan
Some of the most violent videos I see come out of Brazil, and some of the best police work I've seen does, also. That must be a real shit-hole over there?

This guard overall did everything right.

Re: Security guard thwarts a bank robbery

Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:16 am
by Ohio9
Nathan wrote:Some of the most violent videos I see come out of Brazil, and some of the best police work I've seen does, also. That must be a real shit-hole over there?


Brazil has the 15th highest murder rate among all nations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... icide_rate

Nathan wrote:This guard overall did everything right.


One thing I like about this video is it shows that private security can be a lot better then anyone gives them credit for. Private security has always gotten a bad rap, especially in Hollywood. In almost every movie, security guards are depicted as hopeless incompetent or corrupt, if not both. In heist movies like "The Town" and "Heat", guards virtually never get to fight back against the criminals and are shown as being little more then a speed-bump in the grand scheme of things.

Re: Security guard thwarts a bank robbery

Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:42 pm
by samuelrp
This shows too a lack of deterrence from a uniform. Uzi at the ready, as I recently saw in Frankfurt seems the way to roll. Lol

Re: Security guard thwarts a bank robbery

Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:01 pm
by Ohio9
samuelrp wrote:This shows too a lack of deterrence from a uniform. Uzi at the ready, as I recently saw in Frankfurt seems the way to roll. Lol


I think in this case, the robber was hoping to score himself a free gun in addition to the cash from the bank. That's one of the risks of open carry, and why we still see people trying to rob gun shops: The temptation of a big score. You can't always be sure a store or even a bank will have a lot of money in their registers at the time you rob it, but you can be sure that guns will always make a good profit for you on the street.

Re: Security guard thwarts a bank robbery

Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:40 pm
by Hand and Steel
Ohio9 wrote:One thing I like about this video is it shows that private security can be a lot better then anyone gives them credit for. Private security has always gotten a bad rap, especially in Hollywood. In almost every movie, security guards are depicted as hopeless incompetent or corrupt, if not both.


Like most professions, private security runs the gamut from extremely incompetent morons to some of the toughest and most capable people you'll meet. Due to the nature of the work, security attracts a lot of very undesirable and cowardly characters looking to wield perceived authority and basically do nothing all day. On the other hand you occasionally find people of extraordinary quality who do security work because they don't fit into most other occupations well, and haven't found other outlets.

Re: Security guard thwarts a bank robbery

Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:18 pm
by Ohio9
Hand and Steel wrote:Like most professions, private security runs the gamut from extremely incompetent morons to some of the toughest and most capable people you'll meet....On the other hand you occasionally find people of extraordinary quality who do security work because they don't fit into most other occupations well, and haven't found other outlets.


As someone who used to work in private security, I can attest this is true. I would also add that it contains overqualified people looking for better jobs, but make due in this field due to a highly competitive job market in their desired field (you should see how many people apply for police jobs)

But unlike most professions, its depiction in the media and hollywood is almost uniformly negative.

A few years back, CNN did a story about private armed guards. At first I was glad they did. I was hoping they would report on how they have to work long hours in adverse conditions doing a thankless job of protecting people who often view them with scorn and ridicule. But nope, it was a pure hatchet job. Virtually everything they reported was universally negative. They took the worst most sensational cases they could find and covered the story with them. Virtually nothing positive was in there.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/09/us/armed- ... stigation/

Re: Security guard thwarts a bank robbery

Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:07 pm
by Nathan
Hand and Steel wrote:On the other hand you occasionally find people of extraordinary quality who do security work because they don't fit into most other occupations well, and haven't found other outlets.

I'm always scanning for videos to use in class to teach my students what to do and what not to do. Over the years I've just developed the opinion that security guards in Brazil must do some extensive training. Some of the most beautiful defensive shootings I've seen come out of Brazil.
















Re: Security guard thwarts a bank robbery

Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:32 pm
by Ohio9
A lot of the people in those videos were cops, not private guards, but yes Brazil has no shortage of those videos

Here's an interesting one on the proper use of non-lethal force by a guard, and it comes from America


Re: Security guard thwarts a bank robbery

Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:10 am
by Hand and Steel
Ohio9 wrote:A few years back, CNN did a story about private armed guards. At first I was glad they did. I was hoping they would report on how they have to work long hours in adverse conditions doing a thankless job of protecting people who often view them with scorn and ridicule. But nope, it was a pure hatchet job. Virtually everything they reported was universally negative. They took the worst most sensational cases they could find and covered the story with them. Virtually nothing positive was in there.

Having bounced in some very interesting places, I've heard just about every nasty thing that gets said to security - being threatened with guns and knives was not uncommon, either. Interestingly, some of the people who have ended up liking me the most are ones who I've had to eject, usually because I was very polite about it and they quickly realized that I'm not actually interested in beating them into the sidewalk or seeing them hauled off to jail. It's amazing how quickly a person's attitude towards you can change from swinging elbows and punches at your head to apologizing profusely when they realize that you're not going to act like Captain Authority.

Nathan wrote:Over the years I've just developed the opinion that security guards in Brazil must do some extensive training.

Several years ago I was heavily involved in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, back in the days when people thought UFC was a college. I got to meet a lot of martial artists who would travel to the US from Brazil during that time, and I can tell you that self defense training of all sorts is a big industry down there. However in the case of these shootings, I think that the proficiency we see in these videos is less a product of training, and more a result of living in an environment with a pervasive sense of violence to it. For the record, while it does teach some useful skills and is a great means of physical conditioning, I would not recommend BJJ or MMA as a primary method of training for unarmed self defense. They are not nearly direct enough and put too much emphasis on "fighting" rather than "winning".